9 year old flies from MN to Las Vegas with NO ticket

TravelingBug

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like missing kids/people end up just vanishing into thin air in ways that seem impossible - like they'd have to have been spotted or surely must still be around because they'd not have been able to get away.

A 9 year old boy managed to get through security and check in and onto a Delta flight from Minnesota to Nevada this week. It wasn't until just before landing that the flight attendants thought something seemed fishy and called authorities.

It was clearly well thought out.

He had been there at least the day before as well, stealing a suitcase from baggage claim and then sitting in an airport restaurant eating. He asked the server to watch "his" bag so he could go to the restroom and then slipped out, leaving the stolen bag and without paying for his meal.

And he was sly enough to make himself appear part of a family at least at one point in his 'journey,' probably further delaying suspicions being aroused.

It makes how we can end up with unidentified people so clear - a nine year old, on two school days, managed to not only not be at school, but roam around the city (on public transportation several times) without arousing suspicions, and got himself on a flight across the country, all without ever being reported missing.

A missing child report was never filed on the boy at any time during last week the Minneapolis police department told the Daily News Sunday. They say they were only made aware of the boy's situation following contact by the Las Vegas police department after his arrival.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...lis-las-vegas-article-1.1477715#ixzz2gycDvgGu

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...light-minneapolis-las-vegas-article-1.1477715

I think it's a good bet mom and pop are going to have their hands full with this one. Although I have to question as to where the **** his parents are, considering no missing report was filed on him.

Wonder if he was having a 'big adventure'
or if he was traveling to Las Vegas hoping to live with or visit someone - friend or relative there.

His trick for cadging a restaurant meal at the airport was pretty slick for a 9 y/o.

I read this article earlier and found it amazing that he got as far as he did. Quite the little con artist.

Wow! This is really interesting to me. So, he took the light rail there two days in a row...I could see someone getting away with that since you buy your ticket at a kiosk and there are police who just randomly ask people to show their tickets.

So the first day he does the meal thing, then comes back the next day and gets on a plane....did he get in line behind people with kids?

How did he get so street smart?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm afraid this kid will be labeled "bad" and that makes me sad. I hope I am wrong. I hope someone in his life can step back and see how smart he is.

This kid is a genius. I have to wonder what story he told his parents to get so far (e.g. I'm staying over at so and so's house)?

I hope his parents are checked out to make sure he wasn't running away from an abusive situation, just to be sure.

travelingbug,
Could this be your kid? He surely has the travelingbug!

This escapade is like something the balloon boy's dad would cook up. I am amazed at what the little travelingbugger did & hope he learns to channel his abilities in safe & lawful ways.

This kid is a genius. I have to wonder what story he told his parents to get so far (e.g. I'm staying over at so and so's house)?

It's really impressive just from the whole thought process standpoint. It makes me wonder if he is bored at school and gets in trouble. Well, obviously he is in trouble....
I guess I just think that he could go on to do absolutely amazing things if someone recognises his potential and nurtures this way of thinking in a safe (and legal of course) way....but I'm worried that his potential won't be recognized and this way of thinking will be discouraged and stifled. :/

I think it's a good bet mom and pop are going to have their hands full with this one. Although I have to question as to where the **** his parents are, considering no missing report was filed on him.

This is what the Daily Mail said (quoting a local MN station):

KARE-11 reported that authorities believe the 9-year-old boy is a runaway from the Twin Cities.

I guess that could mean that he ran away - as in this incident. But I guess I read it as meaning he's a runaway, as in maybe isn't really at home with his parents at this point.

Though one of the articles, now I can't remember which (since admittedly I've found this intriguing and went looking for as many variations/details as I could find of this!) did say something about child protective services in Las Vegas contacting his mother.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...boy-flies-Las-Vegas-ticket.html#ixzz2h0BD1swM
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This struck me as interesting...
Hogan says the boy is expected to return to the Twin Cities.

I would sort of think it would be a given that he'd return...unless he really does have ties to Vegas, which would perhaps explain this more. If there's family there or he previously lived there or something that could shed some light on things.

Otherwise, I wonder what his plan was?

Did he just happen to get on that plane to Vegas? Did he go to the airport the day before and just pick one that left at a 'convenient' time (or to a place he saw families traveling - though Orlando would probably have been the REAL one to try to get away with this on!)? Or did he think it just sounded like a fun destination?

I mean, why Vegas and not New York, or Los Angeles, etc. If I were a kid, and when I were a kid, a whole lot of other places would have appealed more to me over LV. That makes me think he's got some connection there perhaps?

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/...-sneaks-on-plane?odyssey=tab|topnews|bc|large

Wonder if he was having a 'big adventure'
or if he was traveling to Las Vegas hoping to live with or visit someone - friend or relative there.

His trick for cadging a restaurant meal at the airport was pretty slick for a 9 y/o.

NO kidding!

He has got to be either very bright, very creative, or just very sneaky! (Or, heck, maybe a mix of the three)

I really do wonder where he hatched that whole aspect of it - the prior day's visit. I mean, did he just not think he could pull it off that day? Or was it really just "recon" or something??

And did he plan all along to do the suitcase/meal thing? Or did he think the suitcase would make him look like he belonged there and not arouse suspicion? If so, that's a lot of foresight for a 9 year old, IMO.

Did he do it all just so he could get a meal that day? But then is that a scheme he does other places? I wonder what he did the day he flew. No food on Delta (or not for free) - just those Biscoff cookie things...

If he's really on his own to a large extent, food might be an issue? But really, coming up with the suitcase/eat/run ploy is quite something. Wonder if he had been mentored by someone in some scheming ways?

Wow! This is really interesting to me. So, he took the light rail there two days in a row...I could see someone getting away with that since you buy your ticket at a kiosk and there are police who just randomly ask people to show their tickets.

So the first day he does the meal thing, then comes back the next day and gets on a plane....did he get in line behind people with kids?

How did he get so street smart?

I REALLY want to know more about this kid (and his background) - the whole thing has me so intrigued!

travelingbug,
Could this be your kid? He surely has the travelingbug!

This escapade is like something the balloon boy's dad would cook up. I am amazed at what the little travelingbugger did & hope he learns to channel his abilities in safe & lawful ways.

:floorlaugh:

Oh my goodness that totally cracked me up! I didn't even think of that with my 'hat'!

I'm thinking the TSA and airlines should 'hire' him to help plug the apparent holes in the security system!!

It's really impressive just from the whole thought process standpoint. It makes me wonder if he is bored at school and gets in trouble. Well, obviously he is in trouble....
I guess I just think that he could go on to do absolutely amazing things if someone recognises his potential and nurtures this way of thinking in a safe (and legal of course) way....but I'm worried that his potential won't be recognized and this way of thinking will be discouraged and stifled. :/

It seems like there is just NO way that he's not done something at least semi outside of the box prior to this.

I'm a little shocked that no teacher or neighbor or shopkeeper or something has theorized that they might know who this is, because it's just too thorough and thought through to have been his first 'plan' like this (not that I think he's been criss-crossing the country on planes, but...something beyond what typical kids would even contemplate!)

Then again, maybe we just need to find the place they might be guessing they know which of their former students (or whatever) they think it could be! Ha!

Really though, I do hope his 'skills' get channeled the right way. He could do a lot of good with a brain like he's clearly got...but he also could do incredible, incredible harm (and probably get away with it) if it isn't.

Kid leaves stolen suitcase w. airport restaurant as 'security' for his return & payment for lunch? And which restaurant employee said 'sure, kid"?

In US since 9/11/01 aren't employees of all businesses in airports trained to refuse requests to 'watch my bag for a minute, I'll be right back.'

I know, I know, the employee response is going to be, 'It was just a kid who looked like Leave It to Beaver, not a terrorist, so I told him I'd watch it"

Do we think the [insert country of origin here] terrorists are too honorable and principled to involve a innocent child in planting a bomb?

Of the several security fails in this kid's escapades, thank goodness there was no explosive in the abandoned suitcase.

It seems like there is just NO way that he's not done something at least semi outside of the box prior to this.

I'm a little shocked that no teacher or neighbor or shopkeeper or something has theorized that they might know who this is, because it's just too thorough and thought through to have been his first 'plan' like this (not that I think he's been criss-crossing the country on planes, but...something beyond what typical kids would even contemplate!)

Then again, maybe we just need to find the place they might be guessing they know which of their former students (or whatever) they think it could be! Ha!

Really though, I do hope his 'skills' get channeled the right way. He could do a lot of good with a brain like he's clearly got...but he also could do incredible, incredible harm (and probably get away with it) if it isn't.

I absolutely agree, that is why I am so worried that he will be labeled "bad" and not "bright". I think so many brilliant kids are mad to feel that they aren't because their intelligence is shown in a different way....not a standardized test.

It's been said he took the lightrail south to get to the airport, right? Likely from Minneapolis then...I grew up there...I wonder if we will hear more about him. Maybe not since he is a minor, but it is really interesting.

Kid is brilliant. I would love to know his IQ scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I absolutely agree, that is why I am so worried that he will be labeled "bad" and not "bright". I think so many brilliant kids are mad to feel that they aren't because their intelligence is shown in a different way....not a standardized test.

It's been said he took the lightrail south to get to the airport, right? Likely from Minneapolis then...I grew up there...I wonder if we will hear more about him. Maybe not since he is a minor, but it is really interesting.

I suspect everyone's going to be keeping their eye on any young boys they see on the light rail now...especially if it's en route to the airport again! Whether thinking they're being helpful or just wanting to see what he may be up to next :)

But I suspect all the public transportation authorities will have his picture and be told to keep their eye out if he's on his own. Then again, this kid will probably know or suspect that and change his look or methods or something...

I suspect that despite his age, we will eventually hear more in one form or another.

Someone will try to out him, or it'll turn into a huge story because of the security thing, or someone will want him because he's clearly got some guts and would likely be an interesting 'interview.'

Kid leaves stolen suitcase w. airport restaurant as 'security' for his return & payment for lunch? And which restaurant employee said 'sure, kid"?

In US since 9/11/01 aren't employees of all businesses in airports trained to refuse requests to 'watch my bag for a minute, I'll be right back.'

I know, I know, the employee response is going to be, 'It was just a kid who looked like Leave It to Beaver, not a terrorist, so I told him I'd watch it"

Do we think the [insert country of origin here] terrorists are too honorable and principled to involve a innocent child in planting a bomb?

Of the several security fails in this kid's escapades, thank goodness there was no explosive in the abandoned suitcase.

That is a good point about the fact that at some point it's likely someone will try to use a kid to carry a device.

But at the same time, I really can see an employee - especially a younger one (well, or a more grandparent type age one) - looking at this kid who probably pulled a good pouty lip and did a little 'potty dance' and made it seem like the choice was watch 'his' suitcase or have a mess to clean up on the floor. :scared:

Really, even as adults who eat out somewhere alone sometimes you see someone with stuff (either intentionally or maybe just not quite thinking about it) leaving some of their stuff at a table while they quickly run to the restroom. If you're alone, what's one to do really? Obviously that's a huge NO NO in an airport or train station or amusement park, etc. but I could see people in an airport restaurant sort of viewing it like a food court. And if he maybe didn't even make a big deal about it, just said he had to go to the bathroom and he'd be right back and make sure no one touches his bag (heck, this kid probably told him his prized DS or whatever was in there...anything to make the story work).

I'm sure the employee will get an earful!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back