Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013 - **autistic**

NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013 - **autistic**

LONG ISLAND CITY (WABC) -- A frantic search is underway for a special education student who went missing from his high school in Queens.

14-year old Avonte Oquendo was last seen after lunch on Friday afternoon leaving the Center Boulevard School located at 1-50 51 Avenue in Long Island City.

<modsnip>

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=9276035
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 10-06-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: copyright violation
    God does not like ugly

This really irks me! I work with developmental disabled adults and can't imagine just letting one of them just run out the door and away. Why didn't his teachers or whomever go after him?!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gdeyefaith For This Useful Post:

this breaks my heart hopefully young avonte is found safe and sound before the night is over.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D0HC8RFXZVo/Sm4sWrmXXiI/AAAAAAAAAOs/fe1Urm9FPpQ/s400/mbfashion.gif

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modesty blaise For This Useful Post:

Fontaine tells Eyewitness News that Avonte is supposed to be given one-on-one supervision at all times.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CatFancier For This Useful Post:

9. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CatFancier For This Useful Post:

http://youtu.be/MRQvPQyy-2A Here is the vid of him.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gdeyefaith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gdeyefaith View Post
    This really irks me! I work with developmental disabled adults and can't imagine just letting one of them just run out the door and away. Why didn't his teachers or whomever go after him?!

ITA. Why weren't the doors locked. This poor child.

Please let him be found. The weather is going to be raining tomorrow. Heavy rains tomorrow night.
    God does not like ugly

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trigger For This Useful Post:

Video of his mom pleading for the public to call if they seen him. Heartbreaking.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...26676711.html?
    God does not like ugly

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to trigger For This Useful Post:

Police searching for missing Queens teenager
    Updated at 07:13 PM today

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to demetra For This Useful Post:

Can we post a link from go fund me?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to demetra For This Useful Post:

Do they have search dogs that they can start on his trail while the scent is fresh? At least that would give them an idea of what direction he went when he was no longer on the security camera.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by demetra View Post
    Can we post a link from go fund me?
    No. No fundraising links without prior approval from admin and/or the owners.
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Major ball drop here by the school. Absolutely unacceptable! JMO
    Whilst being on Websleuths makes me more aware of what evil there is in the world, it also reminds me that the best people are among us as well.

Love you all!

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rachaellouise For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed View Post
    No. No fundraising links without prior approval from admin and/or the owners.
    Ok Thank you,it is weird but their using that page to update and ect..

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demetra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Do they have search dogs that they can start on his trail while the scent is fresh? At least that would give them an idea of what direction he went when he was no longer on the security camera.

Gee I hope they used search dogs.

I wish they would put out to the public a better picture of him, and put his striped shirt on the poster.

I heard that he likes trains. So many areas to search for this child.
    God does not like ugly

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trigger For This Useful Post:

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to demetra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by demetra View Post
    Ok Thank you,it is weird but their using that page to update and ect..
    Someone may want to kindly suggest to them that they may want to create a FB missing page.
    Last edited by momrids6; 10-07-2013 at 12:33 AM.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to momrids6 For This Useful Post:

Can we share Avontes brothers facebook page? He is asking for help on there and has regular updates

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HereIsMeAgain For This Useful Post:

This is such a sad, tragic story. Even sadder he has been missing for over 2 days and we are still on the first page of posts.

What can we do to help? I have never been to New York. What is the area like where his school is? He likes trains? What other info do we know about him? Are there train tracks near the school? Is there water nearby? That scares me.

Having supervised special needs children, including autistic children, we never let them out of our sight. Did they let him go to the bathroom by himself...or?

I think the only way he is going to be found safely is if someone sees the posters. This story and his face needs to be plastered everywhere!
    Last edited by Plumeria5; 10-07-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Plumeria5 For This Useful Post:

I think I hear an echo in here...=) Anyone here?
    He likes candy and video games. He has to be hungry. All of the convenience store employees should be alerted. He may run in, grab a bunch of candy and rush out the door. Employees, thinking he is stealing and not knowing the situation, may yell at him and scare him even more than he is already.
    Does anyone have a map of where the school is? The brother says it is Riverside School but Center was posted on this thread. It might be helpful to map out all stores that have food and drinks along with video games to see if they have seen him.
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Plumeria5 For This Useful Post:

We have had so many missing autistic kids the last 2 months or so, and none (if I recall) have had happy endings. In fact, I think they all ending up drowning.

I have such a heart for special needs kids, particularly those with autism.

The daughter of one of my dear friends is severely autistic. They have a special gps type thing that she has on her at all times. They usually have it clipped to a belt on her pants or belt loop, or if she's in a dress, typically then to her tennis shoe. Not only is a gps device, but you can activate it so you can hear what's happening around, which may provide additional helpful information (who may have them, more of what's going on, etc.)

I wish more families of kids with special needs - those prone to wander, like many autistic kids, those who are non-verbal, etc. would do the same. Any extra resources, especially if you have a child who may not be able to help themselves by not knowing their address or something (or not being able to communicate it, whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingBug View Post
    We have had so many missing autistic kids the last 2 months or so, and none (if I recall) have had happy endings. In fact, I think they all ending up drowning.

I have such a heart for special needs kids, particularly those with autism.

The daughter of one of my dear friends is severely autistic. They have a special gps type thing that she has on her at all times. They usually have it clipped to a belt on her pants or belt loop, or if she's in a dress, typically then to her tennis shoe. Not only is a gps device, but you can activate it so you can hear what's happening around, which may provide additional helpful information (who may have them, more of what's going on, etc.)

I wish more families of kids with special needs - those prone to wander, like many autistic kids, those who are non-verbal, etc. would do the same. Any extra resources, especially if you have a child who may not be able to help themselves by not knowing their address or something (or not being able to communicate it, whatever).
    The gps monitor is a great idea! Especially having a microphone on it! If only he had had one. Yes, I am fearful of the water aspect. I can't map the school with the address given. I wonder how close water is to the school? And all the traffic!

42. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Plumeria5 For This Useful Post:

I wish more ws'ers would stop in, they have such great ideas. I like the gps idea but first we have to get him back

44. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SilkySifaka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HereIsMeAgain View Post
    Can we share Avontes brothers facebook page? He is asking for help on there and has regular updates
    Unfortunately, no. We can only share FB pages of the missing person or official missing pages.

46. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CatFancier For This Useful Post:

Heartbreaking. I live a few miles away and have been spreading the word.

A few bits of info about the neighborhood:
    -I can't find any hits for that school on Google, but there's a brand-new high school on that site for media. Center Boulevard School is most likely some kind of charter school within the building. It's a brand-new campus that just opened with fanfare a month or two ago.
    -Google Maps shows a desolate area along the waterfront. That's out of date. Hunters Point South Park opened a few weeks ago and is fairly well-populated.
    -There are a lot of train tracks near there, but I'm not sure how accessible they are.
    -The water is mostly fenced off, but there are probably some areas where someone could get through (at the East River Ferry landing, for example).
    -The security video shows him running north alongside Hunters Point South Park. Just north of there is a heavily populated condo area and The Gantries, which is another park continuous with Hunters Point South Park.
    Last edited by Special K; 10-07-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Watched video

Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast