You're still legally dead, judge tells Fostoria man

TrackerSam

Reaction score
Donald Eugene Miller Jr. walked out of Hancock County Probate Court on Monday as legally dead as ever.

In 1994, the court ruled that Miller was legally dead, eight years after he disappeared from his Arcadia rental home.

The same judge, Allan Davis, ruled Monday that Miller is still dead, in the eyes of the law.
Miller said he would like to start his life again, or "whatever's left of it." He asked the court to reverse its 1994 death ruling so he can reinstate his canceled Social Security number and driver's license.

The court said no.

Miller may still be able to challenge the Social Security Administration in federal court. However, his attorney, Francis Marley, said Miller does not have the resources to do so.

"My client's here on a wing and a prayer today," Marley said.

Miller's ex-wife, Robin Miller, had asked for the death ruling so Social Security death benefits could be paid to their two children.

Robin Miller opposed his request for a change in the death ruling, because she does not want to repay the Social Security benefits. She does not have the money, she said.

Judge Davis referred to Donald Miller's case as a "strange, strange situation."

"We've got the obvious here. A man sitting in the courtroom, he appears to be in good health," Davis said.

Miller made a decision to leave the state to avoid paying child support, Davis said.

But the three-year time limit on the death ruling is clear, Davis said.

"I don't know where that leaves you, but you're still deceased as far as the law is concerned," Davis said.

http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/20...13_story2.asp?d=100813_story2,2013,Oct,08&c=n

Donald Eugene Miller Jr. walked out of Hancock County Probate Court on Monday as legally dead as ever.

The walking dead are here, it's the zombie apocalypse now...

:panic:

He lost my sympathy when I read that he "left the state to avoid paying child support." Karma is a ...b-word.

What a selfish pathetic little man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Miller's ex-wife, Robin Miller, had asked for the death ruling so Social Security death benefits could be paid to their two children.

Robin Miller opposed his request for a change in the death ruling, because she does not want to repay the Social Security benefits. She does not have the money, she said.

http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/20...13_story2.asp?d=100813_story2,2013,Oct,08&c=n

HE should have to repay the SS benefits to help make up for the child support he skipped out on.

It gives a whole new meaning to the term "deadbeat Dad".

He lost my sympathy when I read that he "left the state to avoid paying child support." Karma is a ...b-word.

That's what the judge decided was the reason.

Experience has taught me that everything said in a court of law is probably a lie or at best half-truth.

Especially family court.

It gives a whole new meaning to the term "deadbeat Dad".

:floorlaugh: Good one. I wonder if he murdered someone, could he be sentenced to life in prison and then released for "time served"? Only 2 ways to resolve this.
1. Reverse the ruling. 2. Shoot him.

He might be a deadbeat dad, but he isn't dead.
So this ruling boggles my mind.

I can't see what the judge is muddled about. He's alive...reverse the ruling and make him pay the child support and repay SS. :waitasec: You gotta pay to play. Man up.

Lol, this is a legal nightmare.

It sounds like a Federal case to me. Don't know that it can be called SS fraud though, as the man was legally declared dead. It may take years to get it straightened out properly.

Eventually, he will have to pay SS child support money back. I can't see SS waiving that because of the legal mistake, and I don't think he claim ignorance as a reason not to have to pay it back. Wonder how many other cases in the U.S. are in the books for case law rulings?

So much for wanting his SS# back (and living status) so he can collect benefits, or any reason at all.

I hope we keep getting updated on what occurs here, fascinating!

I was wondering about that as well. He can't be the first person declared legally dead and then found to be alive.

After my dad died, my mom was declared dead twice by social security, it was a nightmare (and a vindictive clerk that did it both times, one time right in front of her supervisor). This though, how can the judge rule that?

JMO, but the judge's ruling keeps this man from paying back child support or paying back SS payments. How does that benefit anyone?

If his wife shoots him dead, will she be charged with ... anything? :/

Interesting information about this issue in the article

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2253/what-happens-when-someone-legally-dead-shows-up-alive

John Burney reappeared on December 1, 1982, when he returned to Arkansas to visit his father after having been injured in an industrial accident. He wanted to sue, but his lawyer told him he would have to make complete disclosure of his past.

Burney had had a lot of life insurance, Sentell notes. Both his wife and his company got death benefits. When he reappeared, the life insurance company sued him, his first wife, and his company. For technical reasons, the court found that the beneficiaries didn't have to return the money, but Burney himself wasn't so lucky. The court ruled his actions were fraudulent and entered judgment against him for $470,000.

Presumption of death law in Ohio

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2121

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...legally_dead_what_if_she_s_really_alive_.html

A handful of Americans have risen from the legal dead in recent decades. Ben Holmes, an Ohio auto mechanic who had been framed for arson, is probably the best known (and certainly the most bizarre) case. He faked his own death in 1980. His wife, who seems not to have known he was still alive, had him declared legally dead eight years later. Holmes reappeared to his wife—his widow, legally speaking—in the late 1990s, but by that time she was seeing another man. After he interfered with the affair, his ex-wife shot him in their home and outed him to the authorities. There is no record of Holmes moving to reverse the legal death ruling; he seems to have simply gone on with his life as if the order was never issued. Nor did he try to reclaim property that his wife inherited after his legal demise. Holmes did, however, get a settlement from his former wife for shooting him.

Ha! Ha! It doesn't say his wife was charged for shooting him but he did get a settlement from her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back