708 users online (100 members and 608 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Convicted sex offender commits suicide over neighborhood signs

OCALA, Fla. - A convicted sex offender apparently committed suicide in despair over signs posted in his neighborhood calling him a "child rapist."

Clovis Ivan Claxton was found dead by his father Thursday with one of the signs beside his body, less than a day after his release from a psychiatric hospital.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office is investigating, and autopsy was scheduled for Friday.

Claxton's death follows the high-profile arrests of sex offenders in the separate killings of two Florida girls less than seven weeks apart. State lawmakers have responded by passing a bill to require lifetime supervision of some child sex offenders.

Bright yellow, laminated signs displaying Claxton's picture, date of birth, address and the words "child rapist" appeared earlier this week on utility poles in his neighborhood after a county commissioner proposed posting such information in the community. The sheriff rejected the idea.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/11457721.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

At least now the children on that street are safer. Too bad he didn't think about the consequences of his actions A LOT earlier.

Good. One less.

Awwww poor guy (not)

This works for me. The sooner this son of a beotch got to hell the better.

If he wanted to be a freak child predator, he should have been willing to live with the consequences. I have no sympathy for him or his mama. She should remember his crime and his victims.

Alright!!!!!!! This is even better than getting new laws! Now he has eternal consequences! Freak

Just fine with me. Nothing on this earth excuses someone who would rape a child. This just means that more children are safer than they were yesterday. As far as his momma, she just might want to evaluate things and work out a way to pave her way to heaven. Negotiation is always a key.

I actually do feel bad for this man and his family. Here is what I found online...
    They said their son was convicted in Washington in 1991. Claxton was 20 when he alledgedly molested a 9-year-old girl. "It was more of a 'you show me and I'll show you,' " Jane Claxton said.

She said her son had become developmentally disabled after he was diagnosed with encephalitis and meningitis. He had a serious brain injury and permanent nerve damage that created problems with his bladder, kidneys and legs.

During middle school and high school, Claxton was in special education classes and was taught basic life skills.

His parents have been his caregivers his entire life. And when they couldn't be there with him, they hired a baby-sitter. He exposed himself to the baby-sitter's daughter. At age 20, his mother said her son was at the mental age of 12.

He was allowed to enter into a negotiated plea and and served 27 months in jail.

Claxton's parents said their son was no threat. For several years, he had been using special leg braces. Lately, he was using a wheelchair.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs...plate=printart

I also heard on TV (Dateline or something like that) that the girl and her family had forgiven Claxton and were still friends with the Claxton family.
    Not that any of that is an excuse for what he did, it just puts things in perspective a bit more. IMO

I do feel bad for his family. But they were wrong he clearly was a danger. It's interesting that he was ashamed when he saw the neighborhood notifications, but not when he whipped it out to show a child.