The White House's 221st birthday is Sunday

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/theov...on-TopStories+(USATODAY+-+Nation+Top+Stories)

On Oct. 13, 1792 -- a full 221 years ago this Sunday -- the first cornerstone was put in place for the residence of American presidents from John Adams to Barack Obama.

The first president, George Washington, never lived in the White House -- one of the ten fun facts gathered by the National Constitution Center.(link)

Another fact: That first cornerstone is missing, thanks to some inebriated masons.(story follows)

picture.php

picture.php

Have any other fun facts about the White House, or experiences visiting it? I visited D.C. several times when an older brother lived there and saw a lot of sights but unfortunately, not the WH. No matter your politics, the majesty of 'our house' is something to be proud of!

I've been there and seen it, stood right there by the fence in front. "So that's where FDR did his thing." It's a wow. Know our history and it's a wow. No better description though than Walt Whitman's during the Civil War - Whitman had gone to the district to help his wounded brother and wound up staying there as a nurse.
I. Specimen Days / 28. The White House by Moonlight

February 24th.—A spell of fine soft weather. I wander about a good deal, sometimes at night under the moon. To-night took a long look at the President’s house. The white portico—the palace-like, tall, round columns, spotless as snow—the walls also—the tender and soft moonlight, flooding the pale marble, and making peculiar faint languishing shades, not shadows—everywhere a soft transparent hazy, thin, blue moon-lace, hanging in the air—the brilliant and extra-plentiful clusters of gas, on and around the facade, columns, portico, &c.—everything so white, so marbly pure and dazzling, yet soft—the White House of future poems, and of dreams and dramas, there in the soft and copious moon—the gorgeous front, in the trees, under the lustrous flooding moon, full of reality, full of illusion—the forms of the trees, leafless, silent, in trunk and myriad-angles of branches, under the stars and sky—the White House of the land, and of beauty and night—sentries at the gates, and by the portico, silent, pacing there in blue overcoats—stopping you not at all, but eyeing you with sharp eyes, whichever way you move.

When we took our kids to tour the White House 30 years ago we were in awe of standing in such a historical place. We were as reverant as if we were in church. The tour was great and it was very easy to get in a short line and get in. All of that has changed because of 9/11. My grandchildren and their children will not have the same tour.

I feel the White House and our national monuments do not belong to us taxpayers anymore, but rather to the government when they can be shut down at their whims.

But Happy Birthday to the White House! It is indeed an awesome place!

How many years? We're very sorry that we burned it down in 1814, but I see that all is forgiven and forgotten. ;)

I was in the East Room for a reception once. It made me think of the stories of how the union army camped out in there during the Civil War, cooked food in the fireplace.

It's an amazing place.

When we took our kids to tour the White House 30 years ago we were in awe of standing in such a historical place. We were as reverant as if we were in church. The tour was great and it was very easy to get in a short line and get in. All of that has changed because of 9/11. My grandchildren and their children will not have the same tour.

I feel the White House and our national monuments do not belong to us taxpayers anymore, but rather to the government when they can be shut down at their whims.

But Happy Birthday to the White House! It is indeed an awesome place!

You can still tour the WH. Just contact your Congressperson for tickets.

How many years? We're very sorry that we burned it down in 1814, but I see that all is forgiven and forgotten. ;)
The sandstone walls held. The rest of the war saw a bit of a turn-around.

I have done the VIP tour and then a whirlwind tour when I went to the WH for the signing of the Biden Crime Bill. Saw mainly the west wing and walked the walk our Presidents have down the walkway between the oval office, which I did not see inside. I was blown away by the memory of those who were captured on film and did the same walk. I thought the Rose Garden would be grander, but it is pretty. The energy is what struck me the most. JMV

I was in the East Room for a reception once. It made me think of the stories of how the union army camped out in there during the Civil War, cooked food in the fireplace.

It's an amazing place.

Quite a change:

picture.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member