31 in Fla. infected/10 die by bacteria in salt water

Reader

Reaction score
http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-31_in_fla_infected_by_bacteria_in_salt_w-ap

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Patty Konietzky thought the small purple lesion on her husband's ankle was a spider bite. But when the lesion quickly spread across his body like a constellation, she knew something wasn't right.

After a trip to the hospital and a day and a half later, Konietzky's 59-year-old husband was dead.

The diagnosis: vibrio vulnificus (vih-BREE'-oh VUHL'-nihf-ih-kus), an infection caused by a bacterium found in warm salt water. It's in the same family of bacterium that causes cholera. So far this year, 31 people across Florida have been infected by the severe strain of vibrio, and 10 have died.

"I thought the doctors would treat him with antibiotics and we'd go home," said Konietzky, who lives in Palm Coast, Fla. "Never in a million years it crossed my mind that this is where I'd be today."

State health officials say there are two ways to contract the disease: by eating raw, tainted shellfish — usually oysters — or when an open wound comes in contact with bacteria in warm seawater.....more in 4p. article.......

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-31_in_fla_infected_by_bacteria_in_salt_w-ap

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Patty Konietzky thought the small purple lesion on her husband's ankle was a spider bite. But when the lesion quickly spread across his body like a constellation, she knew something wasn't right.

After a trip to the hospital and a day and a half later, Konietzky's 59-year-old husband was dead.

The diagnosis: vibrio vulnificus (vih-BREE'-oh VUHL'-nihf-ih-kus), an infection caused by a bacterium found in warm salt water. It's in the same family of bacterium that causes cholera. So far this year, 31 people across Florida have been infected by the severe strain of vibrio, and 10 have died.

"I thought the doctors would treat him with antibiotics and we'd go home," said Konietzky, who lives in Palm Coast, Fla. "Never in a million years it crossed my mind that this is where I'd be today."

State health officials say there are two ways to contract the disease: by eating raw, tainted shellfish — usually oysters — or when an open wound comes in contact with bacteria in warm seawater.....more in 4p. article.......

Back in 80's was most common with folks with liver disease. Shout out to joypath !!!!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

That is frightening. We have relatives in Fla. and they play in the water all the time. Tubing, swimming, etc. Why are some of these viruses so hard to treat?

Gee I lived in Fl longer than I care to say, and never heard of this. Wonder if it's from the oil spill or all the sewerage being dumped in the warm ocean waters every year? Or both. The ocean is so bad there that even hurricanes are staying away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back