1060 users online (211 members and 849 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Hal Ticknor, 82, Denton, 11 Oct 2013

Very reminiscent of the recent grandfather + 2 grandkids case out of Dallas area. I saw the highway signs on my way into work and had to report it to WS.

Hal Ticknor is an 82yo WM with dementia who left his house Friday morning (10/11/13) and was then seen in Denton, TX at a gas station asking for directions to Garland. Has not been seen since. Believed to be driving a 2007 Silver Chevy Equinox with Texas license plate 599SNC.

Generic silver equinox pictures:

More information:
    http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013...dementia.html/

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/10/14/s...d-garland-man/
    Last edited by docbh; 10-14-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added some pertitent information

No updates. Given the confluence of highways in the area, he really could have wound up headed in any direction.

I really cannot believe he hasn't turned up . His signs are up everywhere and have been since early on . Very good job by family and/ or LE of getting his pic all over stores and such.

With all the recent rains, I hope he did not wind up lost on a dirt road somewhere and get the vehicle stuck.

Updated timeline from: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Sil...-Man-227792121.

"last seen at 11 a.m. Friday in the 2000 block of Morningside Drive in Garland."
    (I infer that this is his residence or where he started his drive)

"asked for directions to Garland while near Tioga on Friday afternoon at about 4:30 p.m."
    Previously decribed as "near Denton" by other outlets, Tioga is near Lake Ray Roberts, northwest of Denton.

"At 9:15 p.m. that night, Ticknor used his credit card to purchase gas in Valley View."
    Valley View is on the opposite side of Lake Ray Roberts (west)

So at least Friday, he seemed to be meandering around Lake Ray Roberts. Valley View is on I35 though, so he could headed north towards Oklahoma City or south towards DFW.

Newer pic from article:
    <modsnip>
    Last edited by CatFancier; 10-16-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: broken link for pic

Quote Originally Posted by docbh View Post

"last seen at 11 a.m. Friday in the 2000 block of Morningside Drive in Garland."

"asked for directions to Garland while near Tioga on Friday afternoon at about 4:30 p.m."
    Previously decribed as "near Denton" by other outlets, Tioga is near Lake Ray Roberts, northwest of Denton.

"At 9:15 p.m. that night, Ticknor used his credit card to purchase gas in Valley View."

So at least Friday, he seemed to be meandering around Lake Ray Roberts. Valley View is on I35 though, so he could headed north towards Oklahoma City or south towards DFW.

Newer pic from article:
    <modsnip>
    Having lost my mom to Alzheimer's, this makes my heart hurt. What about helicopter searches? I hope he stayed with his vehicle, but he needs water.
    Last edited by CatFancier; 10-16-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: broken link for pic/quote
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

[quote=Plumeria5;9903291]
    Quote Originally Posted by docbh View Post

Newer pic from article:
    <modsnip>

Having lost my mom to Alzheimer's, this makes my heart hurt. What about helicopter searches? I hope he stayed with his vehicle, but he needs water.
    Hopefully he's still nearby. I can say I live south of that area and frequently travel north of that area ( few times a year).....even with printing out maps I get lost almost every time. The roads are highly deserted where you can go miles without seeing a house even and all the roads have a 4 digit name so it's very easy to get confused. The weather is still fairly mild , so hopefully he will turn up safe and is just lost as he can be, literally. The down side is Valley View is mostly situated right on the Interstate 35 and he could have gotten on it and headed north or south and be far away by now.

This is so very sad!!! Has he continued to drive even with the Dementia? Or did he slip away? My son-in-law's step father Ralph had Dementia and the family made sure he didn't have access to vehicles at all or else he would try to drive to Washington, DC to visit his son. I pray Hal is ok and is found quickly.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Update at http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...pearance.html/

With both the newer picture of Mr. Ticknor, and a map that points out the three places where he was spotted.

They also added he was last seen wearing a long sleeved khaki shirt and gray slacks.

I just had to share what happened last night because it relates to these cases, especially one who disappears in their car. Background information, I live in a rainforest. We had gotten groceries and were taking a scenic route on a beautiful winding road which leads to our home. Luckily the sun hadn't quite set yet. All of a sudden my husband said he thought he saw the top of a car. We found a little place to pull over, there are barely any shoulders and went running back to a very narrow ravine. Sure enough there was a car and we could see someone slumped over against the window. I was so scared to check it out. We called 911 and cars seeing us, started to stop. It was a 17 year old girl! She had hit her head and was crying and disoriented. Evidently she realized she had forgotten to hook her seat belt and was trying to hook it when she veered to her right, going down the embankment. We couldn't open any doors as the car was wedged. When she landed down there, the large tropical plants came back around her and that is why she was so hidden. EMT came and since it was dangerous for us to be milling about, we left.

I know from flying in, Dallas is flat and a lot less vegetation but it only takes one spot for a car to be camouflaged. This poor man needs water. Where are the helicopters?? Any WS Texans in that area? Can you hear any searching overhead??
    Last edited by Plumeria5; 10-16-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Richard Castle " There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

This is Hal's nephew and all of the family is diligently working with the police, FBI, and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. We are expanding the Silver Alert to Ok. We also had a helicopter service out of Denton volunteer to be on the "lookout" since they travel over the land west of Valley View continually and they are doing this today. Also, my brother is in his car at this moment, driving all of those backroads. There will be an interview with my Aunt this evening on Channel 5. All of our family is concerned but diligently working to help. He has not used his credit card since Friday (good and bad) but had little cash on him. We are hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by oksdarty View Post
    This is Hal's nephew and all of the family is diligently working with the police, FBI, and the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. We are expanding the Silver Alert to Ok. We also had a helicopter service out of Denton volunteer to be on the "lookout" since they travel over the land west of Valley View continually and they are doing this today. Also, my brother is in his car at this moment, driving all of those backroads. There will be an interview with my Aunt this evening on Channel 5. All of our family is concerned but diligently working to help. He has not used his credit card since Friday (good and bad) but had little cash on him. We are hoping for the best.
    Welcome to Websleuths, oksdarty! I am so sorry your uncle has lost his way and I hope today is the day he is found. Is there a live stream of the news? Most of us live far away but we do our best to contact others who may be nearby and can help in some way. How much gas did he put in when he last used his credit card? Did he buy food or water or is that known?

Welcome oksdarty!

oh no... I too hope Hal is resting somewhere waiting to be found. I can not even imagine. This is one of my fears too - having parents with dementia. So sad for this family and wish I could do anything. I always study faces of those who are missing because you just never know where people might end up. Gentle loving thoughts to Hal and all those who know and love him. Please please be safe...
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast