UK Wales - Optical illusion "crazy paving" fells 20+ shoppers in Pontypridd

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
When urban planning takes a turn for the worse:

More than 20 shoppers hospitalised and grandmother injured after council
install 'crazy paving' which created treacherous optical illusion which hides kerb
. (Daily Mail)
---
The Welsh Ambulance Service said it had been called to the spot 20 times since the redesign was completed in May.

Cheryl Hull, manager of Shaws the Drapers, works opposite the paving stones and has already called an ambulance for around 10 shoppers.

She said: ‘The regeneration made them the same colour and this is causing an optical illusion.
‘It tends to blend into one - some people see the edge of the kerb but others don’t.
---
‘I think when older people are rushing for the bus, they might not see it, especially as their eyesight tends to be bad.'
---
more, with pictures, at the link

When my eyes get tired, this is the exact type of thing (optical illusion) that turns me into a clumsy. (This reminds me to get to the eye doctor - thanks wfgodot!)

I knew wfg would have posted this :)

The council must paint a yellow line as a warning there's a drop-off (which will ruin the pavers - but who cares really) before more people fall. The lady's injuries are terrific. I'd sue in a heartbeat. How dare they jeopardize people in this way.

[video=youtube;UelJZG_bF98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UelJZG_bF98[/video]

This is a really cool ad with optical illusions

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1