1238 users online (205 members and 1033 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MO - Matthew Barnett for sexual assault, child endangerment, Maryville, 2012

Long article.

Nightmare in Maryville: Teens’ sexual encounter ignites a firestorm against family.(Kansas City Star)
    MARYVILLE, Mo. — There wasn’t much left by the time she arrived, just a burnt-out structure and the haze of smoke that lingered around it.

The siding and gutters had melted. The roof was gone. Inside, piles of ash filled the rooms that had once bustled with the pleasant sounds of a family.

That morning last April when Melinda Coleman received word that emergency vehicles were gathering around her Maryville house, she had hoped for the best.

But if the events of the past year and a half had taught her anything, it was that when the town of Maryville was involved, that seemed unlikely.

Since the morning her daughter had been left nearly unconscious in the frost of the home’s front lawn, this northwest Missouri community had come to mean little besides heartache.

Few dispute the basic facts of what happened in the early morning hours of Jan. 8, 2012: A high school senior had sex with Coleman’s 14-year-old daughter, another boy did the same with her daughter’s 13-year-old friend, and a third student video-recorded one of the bedding scenes. Interviews and evidence initially supported the felony and misdemeanor charges that followed.

Yet, two months later, the Nodaway County prosecutor dropped the felony cases against the youths, one the grandson of a longtime area political figure.

The incident sparked outrage in the community, though the worst of it was directed not at the accused perpetrators but at a victim and her family. In the months that followed, Coleman lost her job, and her children were routinely harassed.
    ---
    Que sçay-je?

Angry

This angers me on so many levels. If I said exactly what I thought, I would be put on a permanent vacation.

Thanks for sharing this.

JMO
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

Extremely disturbing on many levels. My heart breaks for those two young girls as well as their families and I hope justice will eventually prevail for them.

Steubenville, OH deja vu. Disgusting.

Unbelievable. Let me guess the rapists were on the football team, popular guys, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    This angers me on so many levels. If I said exactly what I thought, I would be put on a permanent vacation.

Thanks for sharing this.

JMO
    sitting on hands here but agree with you tezi.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Apparently Anonymous is threatening to become involved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...rape_case.html

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    Apparently Anonymous is threatening to become involved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...rape_case.html
    It seems ANON is the only group exposing the truth when corrupt LE fails.

Quote Originally Posted by x_files View Post
    It seems ANON is the only group exposing the truth when corrupt LE fails.
    And the "twitter storm" will begin at 1:00 p.m. Eastern. A good start.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/us/mis...html?hpt=hp_t3

"...Coleman's daughter Daisy, then 14 and a high school freshman, was hosting a sleepover with a girlfriend at the Colemans' home. They were drinking alcohol, according to a report from the Nodaway County Sheriff's Office.
    Daisy had been texting with a football player, a senior, who was then 17. They decided to meet up.
    Mom: 'They're still lying about it' Family: Retaliation ended new start Rape victim's family: I want justice
    "We snuck into his house through his basement window, and I went to go sit on the couch, and he gave me a big glass of a clear liquid. And that's all I remember..."

"...Nodaway County Sheriff Darren White told CNN that his office and the prosecuting attorney were ready to prosecute. They did not move forward because the victim and her family refused to cooperate, he said.
    "The only people's stories that have been inconsistent throughout this whole thing are the Colemans -- are the victims in this case -- and I don't know why that is," White said...." end quote

Really do not like the tone of CNN's article as it looks like they (CNN) are siding with the perps instead of the victims.

It's also confusing why LE in that town are saying the victims' family isn't cooperating ---when clearly they HAVE cooperated.
    Those poor girls did nothing wrong , they are truly victims in the truest sense of the word.

Could this possibly end with a prosecution? Thoughts?

Angry

Small towns seem to have problems with that. So parochial. It seems when people have few things to do, the center of life becomes like a "holy ground" whether sports team, organization, or religious institution. They think they cannot do wrong and are infallible.

Shades of Steubenville and Penn State.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Did some retweeting on twitter.
    “Evil begins when you begin to treat people as things.” -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by ArianeEmory View Post
    Did some retweeting on twitter.
    I don't do twitter, but read it.

Indeed, shades of Steubenville... with the "my grandpa is a former congressman so I am immune to prosecution" twist... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post

Thanks for sharing this.

JMO
    I saw this story on the morning news, tezi, and saw red! I've never gotten a T/O here and don't want one now or I would have plenty to say about this one!

This is so, so wrong.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast