GUILTY MO - Matthew Barnett for sexual assault, child endangerment, Maryville, 2012

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Long article.

Nightmare in Maryville: Teens’ sexual encounter ignites a firestorm against family.(Kansas City Star)
MARYVILLE, Mo. — There wasn’t much left by the time she arrived, just a burnt-out structure and the haze of smoke that lingered around it.

The siding and gutters had melted. The roof was gone. Inside, piles of ash filled the rooms that had once bustled with the pleasant sounds of a family.

That morning last April when Melinda Coleman received word that emergency vehicles were gathering around her Maryville house, she had hoped for the best.

But if the events of the past year and a half had taught her anything, it was that when the town of Maryville was involved, that seemed unlikely.

Since the morning her daughter had been left nearly unconscious in the frost of the home’s front lawn, this northwest Missouri community had come to mean little besides heartache.

Few dispute the basic facts of what happened in the early morning hours of Jan. 8, 2012: A high school senior had sex with Coleman’s 14-year-old daughter, another boy did the same with her daughter’s 13-year-old friend, and a third student video-recorded one of the bedding scenes. Interviews and evidence initially supported the felony and misdemeanor charges that followed.

Yet, two months later, the Nodaway County prosecutor dropped the felony cases against the youths, one the grandson of a longtime area political figure.

The incident sparked outrage in the community, though the worst of it was directed not at the accused perpetrators but at a victim and her family. In the months that followed, Coleman lost her job, and her children were routinely harassed.
---

This angers me on so many levels. If I said exactly what I thought, I would be put on a permanent vacation.

Thanks for sharing this.

JMO

Extremely disturbing on many levels. My heart breaks for those two young girls as well as their families and I hope justice will eventually prevail for them.

Unbelievable. Let me guess the rapists were on the football team, popular guys, etc etc.

This angers me on so many levels. If I said exactly what I thought, I would be put on a permanent vacation.

Thanks for sharing this.

JMO

sitting on hands here but agree with you tezi.

www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/us/missouri-rape-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"...Coleman's daughter Daisy, then 14 and a high school freshman, was hosting a sleepover with a girlfriend at the Colemans' home. They were drinking alcohol, according to a report from the Nodaway County Sheriff's Office.
Daisy had been texting with a football player, a senior, who was then 17. They decided to meet up.
Mom: 'They're still lying about it' Family: Retaliation ended new start Rape victim's family: I want justice
"We snuck into his house through his basement window, and I went to go sit on the couch, and he gave me a big glass of a clear liquid. And that's all I remember..."

"...Nodaway County Sheriff Darren White told CNN that his office and the prosecuting attorney were ready to prosecute. They did not move forward because the victim and her family refused to cooperate, he said.
"The only people's stories that have been inconsistent throughout this whole thing are the Colemans -- are the victims in this case -- and I don't know why that is," White said...." end quote

Really do not like the tone of CNN's article as it looks like they (CNN) are siding with the perps instead of the victims.

It's also confusing why LE in that town are saying the victims' family isn't cooperating ---when clearly they HAVE cooperated.
Those poor girls did nothing wrong , they are truly victims in the truest sense of the word.

Small towns seem to have problems with that. So parochial. It seems when people have few things to do, the center of life becomes like a "holy ground" whether sports team, organization, or religious institution. They think they cannot do wrong and are infallible.

Shades of Steubenville and Penn State. :stormingmad:

Thanks for sharing this.

JMO

I saw this story on the morning news, tezi, and saw red! I've never gotten a T/O here and don't want one now or I would have plenty to say about this one!

This is so, so wrong.

Gabriella Coleman (no relation to the alleged victim), a McGill University anthropologist who is writing a book about Anonymous, calls these campaigns seeking justice for rape victims one of the group's more successful issues. After the hacktivist collective successfully turned Steubenville into a national story through its unforgiving rogue tactics, the group has been approached by dozens of alleged rape victims pleading for help. "It doesn't surprise me at all that they are going after this," Coleman says. "The fact that Anonymous is interested can bring massive attention to the issue."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/10/maryville-anonymous-football-rape-case

On Monday, the city manager’s office in Maryville — a 12,000-population town 100 miles north of Kansas City — was inundated with phone calls, emails and social media comments regarding the case.

“It’s been extremely negative,” said City Manager Greg McDanel. “So we’re trying to address that as we can and get the appropriate information out and send it out to the appropriate place.
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/14/4553693/anger-over-maryville-case-boils.html

My concern was that some other girls came forward and told me that the same thing happened with this same group of boys. When I had talked to the Sheriff initially he told me that there had been girls who had come forward and that there had been maybe even 10 other girls that were also assaulted. So later on he said that they were all liars, ...snipped

http://jezebel.com/maryville-mom-says-more-girls-came-forward-with-tales-o-1445537112

The third link has the Mom/daughter interview from last night's CNN's Erin Burnett Out Front.

That's a town where no one should want to relocate. The girls would have been safer with "ghetto" street boys.

This is a travesty. They need the feds in there investigating. I hope Anonymous goes after the people involved with everything they have and I don't normally believe in vigilante justice

Lt Governor’s call for grand jury signals win for Anonymous

The Lt. Governor released this statement today:
Since Sunday I have read with growing dismay the media accounts of the Daisy Coleman case in Nodaway County. I make no claim to knowledge of all the facts. Still, facts revealed in exhaustive media reports, including the 4,000-word piece in the Kansas City Star, raise all kinds of questions that it is now clear won’t be put to rest.
These questions will fester and taint the reputation of our state for delivering impartial justice to all.
I am disappointed that the Attorney General would wash his hands of the matter through a brief statement by a spokesman. The appalling facts in the public record shock the conscience and cry out that responsible authorities must take another look. I call on Attorney General Koster and Prosecutor Rice to join me in asking that the Circuit Court convene a grand jury to review all the evidence, hear all witnesses, and issue a decision as to whether charges should ensue.
I hope that responsible officials will join me in this call for a grand jury to make the final call on whether criminal charges should or should not be filed.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/360302

Missouri lawmakers respond to Maryville sexual assault case

On Tuesday afternoon, Missouri Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder tweeted out a statement regarding the investigation.
In the statement, Kinder calls on the state's attorney general and Nodaway County prosecutor to revisit the case.
http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/missouri-lt-governor-peter-kinder-responds-to-maryville-case

CNN's Erin Burnett Out Front-interview with both girls and their moms from last night.

Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder calls for investigation into alleged rape of teen

http://outfront.blogs.cnn.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back