6-year-old Boy Drowns on Carnival Ship

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Carnival: Boy, 6, drowns in pool on cruise

SUZETTE LABOY, AP
15 hours ago

MIAMI (AP) — A 6-year-old boy drowned in one of the pools aboard a Carnival Cruise Lines ship while at sea, the company said in a statement Monday.

The Carnival Victory was on the last leg of a four-day Caribbean cruise Sunday when the boy drowned in the midship pool. He was at the pool area with other family members at the time, the statement said.

"To the best of our knowledge it is the first time a child has drowned aboard one of our ships," Carnival spokeswoman Joyce Oliva said in an email to The Associated Press.

The ship arrived Monday morning at Port Miami. There were 3,094 guests on the ship and approximately 1,100 staff members, Carnival said...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20131014/US-Carnival-Cruise-Drowning/

Florida boy, 6, drowns in Carnival cruise ship pool

By Joe Sutton and Kevin Wang, CNN

updated 7:16 AM EDT, Tue October 15, 2013

(CNN) -- A 6-year-old central Florida boy drowned in a pool on a Carnival Cruise ship over the weekend after hasty efforts to resuscitate him failed, the cruise line said Monday.

The boy, of Winter Garden just outside of Orlando, was spotted underwater in a mid-ship pool by passengers Sunday, according to a police report and one witness account. It occurred when the ship, the Carnival Victory, was returning from its last leg of a four-day Caribbean cruise.

Passenger Deshaun Christian, 23, who witnessed the rescue, told CNN iReport that the incident caught people, enjoying music and dancing, off-guard...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/14/us/florida-boy-drowns-carnival-cruise/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

How can this happen? :waitasec: There seems to have been lots of people around, and he was playing with his brother. Nobody saw this little boy in trouble until it was too late?

Very, very sad. Parents? Where were the parents? Not watching their kid, obviously. :notgood:

RIP little one! :cry:

How can this happen? :waitasec: There seems to have been lots of people around, and he was playing with his brother. Nobody saw this little boy in trouble until it was too late? :

Other articles say there was dancing and music playing and the DJ cut the music once a passenger spotted the boy.

That makes me think this happened at night and the adults were drinking and partying on deck after dark (likely including the boys parents).

The pools are closed at night, and people are drinking/dancing all day, especially on a 4 day cruise. So it probably did happen during the day, which makes it even sadder. There was no reason his parents shouldn't have been watching him like a hawk.

How can this happen? :waitasec: There seems to have been lots of people around, and he was playing with his brother. Nobody saw this little boy in trouble until it was too late?

Very, very sad. Parents? Where were the parents? Not watching their kid, obviously. :notgood:

RIP little one! :cry:

My heart goes out to the remaining sibling. This poor child hopefully he will receive the attention and comfort he needs, and maybe some counseling very traumatic for him. Jmo

Ciao

The pools are closed at night, and people are drinking/dancing all day, especially on a 4 day cruise. So it probably did happen during the day, which makes it even sadder. There was no reason his parents shouldn't have been watching him like a hawk.

Too many parents think that a cruise ship is a safe, self-contained environment and that the only necessary admonition to their children is to "stay away from outer railings and not fall overboard". While DH and I don't usually sail during school vacation periods or holidays, we still see a good number of youngsters whose parents take them out of school for a family vacation. We are always amazed at how these children appear to be given carte blanche to navigate the ship on their own while Mom and Dad are otherwise occupied. :scared:

I pictured this when I read your last sentence ;) [shortened and amended by me]
... We are always amazed at how these children appear to be given carte blanche to navigate the ship on their own :scared: while Mom and Dad are otherwise occupied :toast: .

I pictured this when I read your last sentence ;) [shortened and amended by me]
Yeah, our 12-year-old thought that would be the case last summer, but we received something in writing from the cruise line warning us to take responsibility for her, and we never would have done that anyway- give her free reign of a ship that had 17 decks and over 2,500 passengers on board!

Yeah, our 12-year-old thought that would be the case last summer, but we received something in writing from the cruise line warning us to take responsibility for her, and we never would have done that anyway- give her free reign of a ship that had 17 decks and over 2,500 passengers on board!

Not all parents are compliant with the cruise line's request that children be supervised 24/7. Some parents have the attitude that they are on vacation and want to enjoy some down time without having to concern themselves with their children who also want to have fun. Most cruise ships have dedicated youth facilities but some kids would rather do their own thing, and the parents allow them do what they please. :moo:

Too many parents think that a cruise ship is a safe, self-contained environment and that the only necessary admonition to their children is to "stay away from outer railings and not fall overboard". While DH and I don't usually sail during school vacation periods or holidays, we still see a good number of youngsters whose parents take them out of school for a family vacation. We are always amazed at how these children appear to be given carte blanche to navigate the ship on their own while Mom and Dad are otherwise occupied. :scared:

I totally agree with you. I don't cruise during school breaks or holidays either but there are always children there, totally unsupervised, parents not to be found, trying to snorkle in the adult hot tub, swimming among very drunken adults partying the the adult area. On this Carnival Victory ship there is a "Children's World" for children ages 2 - 15. It is heavily supervised and there is a pool for the children. It is really tragic that the boys were not in the children's area pool.

Just read Cruisebruise.com, this site has all the crime statistics for all cruise lines. Horrifying at the number of missing, deaths and rapes of children during cruises.

Other articles say there was dancing and music playing and the DJ cut the music once a passenger spotted the boy.

That makes me think this happened at night and the adults were drinking and partying on deck after dark (likely including the boys parents).

There is usually entertainment and music on deck during the daytime as well.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back