TX - Cleveland, TX elementary school removing coloring from curriculum

Softail

Reaction score
:waitasec:

Cleveland elementary school removing coloring from curriculum

CLEVELAND, Texas – There are questions, concerns and confusion at an elementary school in Cleveland over a curriculum shakeup that takes coloring away from the kids.

Parents at Southside Primary said they were told by teachers on Monday that Crayons were being removed from the classroom.

Cleveland Independent School District claims that’s not entirely true. According to a spokesperson, the school is taking away “the coloring method,” but not the actual Crayons.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Clev...ving-coloring-from-curriculum--227756761.html

so removal of the coloring gets this community fired up. Interesting. Sorry the community of Cleveland TX left a very bad taste in my mouth during this case: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto..._attorney_calls_pre_teen_victim_a_spider.html and the WS thread on that case here: TX - 20 arrests in alleged gang rape of 11-year-old middle school girl - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

So I guess I know coloring is a priority ???

Well, you said it.

Pick your battles, Cleveland.

According to the district, the changes are because of low performing test scores at the third- and fourth-grade level.

I knew this 'teach to the test' stuff was bad, but didn't realize how bad.

Totally useless 'ability' and a time waster that allows teachers to take a break from their jobs. Good riddance, coloring.

As an adult, I always enjoyed coloring with my kiddos. I found it relaxing. Although, I did find it odd that my 3rd grader was bringing home coloring pages. I guess I can see both sides. :)

My preschool program encourages teachers not to use worksheets or coloring sheets except for certain situations where they are actually enriching the curriculum. Instead, we offer a wide variety of blank papers in different sizes, weights and types so the children are encouraged to create their own art.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Totally useless 'ability' and a time waster that allows teachers to take a break from their jobs. Good riddance, coloring.

So breaks are a waste of time? The reason companys allow breaks is because they improve productivity.

I don't remember coloring in school. doesn't mean I didn't. But... what I do remember is the story about my older sister when she was in elementary school, it was a picture (outline) of a tree.
The directions were to color the tree black. She colored the tree green. The teacher failed her paper.
I think it should be allowed in K-3, as a way of helping kids to control their hands and fingers by staying in the lines. I also see it as a way of fantasizing.

I don't remember coloring in school. doesn't mean I didn't. But... what I do remember is the story about my older sister when she was in elementary school, it was a picture (outline) of a tree.
The directions were to color the tree black. She colored the tree green. The teacher failed her paper.
I think it should be allowed in K-3, as a way of helping kids to control their hands and fingers by staying in the lines. I also see it as a way of fantasizing.

Coloring is a great way to help strengthen fine motor skills, which are important for handwriting. Of course schools don't seem to place nearly as much importance on that these days either. Another lost art...

While I prefer "uncoloring" books, I still think coloring is important. I think they will find that the more art they remove from curriculum, the more their test scores will suffer....and I'd also be interested in hearing how many of these children will be diagnosed with ADHD.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

So breaks are a waste of time? The reason companys allow breaks is because they improve productivity.

This is a good point. School can be pretty chaotic and lead to sensory overload. Sitting and coloring is a great way to relax and clear the mind. We all need downtime sometimes so our brains can process everything. Afterwards, we're able to face the rest of the day. It's almost like a reset button.

Colouring SHEETS (which is what is being removed) ARE a waste of time, do not allow for creativity and are not good teaching practice. They should be removed.

Authentic tasks that inspire creativity, discussion and true learning make better use of the time.

And, school still has breaks, it is called recess.

Colouring SHEETS (which is what is being removed) ARE a waste of time, do not allow for creativity and are not good teaching practice. They should be removed.

Authentic tasks that inspire creativity, discussion and true learning make better use of the time.

And, school still has breaks, it is called recess.

Recess at my kids' school is 12 minutes long and isn't until 1:45 and school is over at 2:35. Not much of a "break".

As an adult, I always enjoyed coloring with my kiddos. I found it relaxing. Although, I did find it odd that my 3rd grader was bringing home coloring pages. I guess I can see both sides. :)

I teach preschool and while we offer crayons on the shelves, we do not ever use coloring sheets. Art is supposed to be initially an exercise in fine motor and sensorial exploration, and then later, perfecting and refining those skills while exploring artistic expression. IMO, coloring sheets are fine for home but really ought not to be a part of school curriculum, especially once a child is in elementary school! :twocents:

Wow, many harsh posts in here. I'm a high school teacher and my students LOVE coloring. I've used it for teaching anatomy and organ systems, as well as nutrient cycles. Students ask me for more work and it generally calms them down and gives THEM a break.

Wow, many harsh posts in here. I'm a high school teacher and my students LOVE coloring. I've used it for teaching anatomy and organ systems, as well as nutrient cycles. Students ask me for more work and it generally calms them down and gives THEM a break.

Sorry, I actually do tend to agree. I just have a bee in my bonnet to see the community all outraged. But in general "issue" terms I tend to agree.

I don't really have a problem with coloring in younger elementary years. I think if offered at the right times and they involve learning something, it serves a purpose. Allowing the brain to switch gears to learn from one style and method seems organic and right to me. Keeps the brain engaged while allowing other areas to take a break.

In my kids last school, I can say they overly used the coloring sheets. And you could tell. Don't get me wrong, coloring is needed, but those skills can be in other subjects.

Gasp!

I love to color! Always have! At home I was lucky to routinely get new coloring books and crayons. When I think if the many children whose only experience in coloring happens at school.... It breaks my heart!

I loved art, still do!

Did they already do away with finger painting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gasp!

I love to color! Always have! At home I was lucky to routinely get new coloring books and crayons. When I think if the many children whose only experience in coloring happens at school.... It breaks my heart!

I loved art, still do!

Did they already do away with finger painting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Finger painting is an excellent sensory activity as well as art (color mixing, dilution, etc.)

They'd have to pry this preschool teacher's finger paints from my cold dead hands. (Shaving cream and paint is particularly awesome)

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

Once my daughter was in 1st or 2nd grade and they sent home a paper with some very simple math problems on it. It said to answer the math questions and color the page. She answered the math problems and then colored the popcorn (Which is what the math problems were in) and she colored them different colors. At that time I had actually bought my kids the colored popcorn. When she returned the next day she had flunked the paper even though all the math was correct. Her teacher had written a note on the paper that the popcorn should have been white as there is no colored popcorn.
I was shocked and disappointed as there was colored popcorn which I showed the teacher. She was such a witch always doing things to discourage the kids.
I did finally take my kids out of that school they were the worse school I had ever seen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back