1171 users online (221 members and 950 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Majority of U.S. fast-food workers need public assistance -- study

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/majori...160000493.html

The studies follow large nationwide demonstrations in August, when fast-food workers went on strike and protested outside McDonald's, Burger King and other restaurants in 60 U.S. cities, demanding a "living wage" of $15 per hour.

The U.S. fast-food industry generates sales of $200 billion a year. The companies have long said that mostly young people do the entry-level work of flipping burgers or making milkshakes and that these positions are stepping stones to higher-paying jobs. However, the NELP found that the median age of a fast-food worker was 28, Temple said.

Closed thread about the strike:
    Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 06-18-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_buddy View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/majori...160000493.html

The studies follow large nationwide demonstrations in August, when fast-food workers went on strike and protested outside McDonald's, Burger King and other restaurants in 60 U.S. cities, demanding a "living wage" of $15 per hour.

The U.S. fast-food industry generates sales of $200 billion a year. The companies have long said that mostly young people do the entry-level work of flipping burgers or making milkshakes and that these positions are stepping stones to higher-paying jobs. However, the NELP found that the median age of a fast-food worker was 28, Temple said.

Closed thread about the strike:
    Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    What was the median as far as schooling?

Im a Fed. Govt worker and have had to have assistance lately..I make over 15 an hour. Times are tough for EVERYONE....

RIP McStays

I was just reading news that states are not going to take any new snap applications if a govt deal isn't reached Thursday. Hopefully benefits will be given to those already eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    I was just reading news that states are not going to take any new snap applications if a govt deal isn't reached Thursday. Hopefully benefits will be given to those already eligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    from shutdown thread

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 06-18-2015 at 08:36 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

The U.S. fast-food industry generates sales of $200 billion a year. The companies have long said that mostly young people do the entry-level work of flipping burgers or making milkshakes and that these positions are stepping stones to higher-paying jobs.
    $200 billion a year makes it SEEM like they are all making tons of money. Some do but many many fast food places have slim profit margins.

If their margins are cut even more many will simply shut down (especially in low income areas where the profits are slim to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    $200 billion a year makes it SEEM like they are all making tons of money. Some do but many many fast food places have slim profit margins.

If their margins are cut even more many will simply shut down (especially in low income areas where the profits are slim to begin with).
    Please post at least one credible link to anything that supports any of your assertions.

Please post at least one credible link to anything that supports any of your assertions.
    Credible link? Are you trying to not so subtly imply something? I work for a company that sells to fast food restaurants so knowing how much they make and how much can afford is our business.

And here is a link, a lot of QSR owners invest a LOT and then work their butts off for a middle income salary.

Their figures: Thirty percent (of franchisees) put in between $151,000 and $500,000 to buy their franchise. Roughly 31 percent ponied up between $51,000 and $150,000.

What do these owners clear in a year? The 3,500 respondents in the survey reported their net average is just $64,000.

Remember, that’s $64,000 that comes without healthcare, paid vacation and sick time, or the other fringe benefits of being an employee.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/caroltic...t-much-reward/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Credible link? Are you trying to not so subtly imply something? I work for a company that sells to fast food restaurants so knowing how much they make and how much can afford is our business.

And here is a link, a lot of QSR owners invest a LOT and then work their butts off for a middle income salary.
    I guess I am being subtle if the message hasn't gotten across...

I support doing away with corporately owned chain restaurants that's one reason I never eat at them.
    Yep corporate squeezes the franchises. I don't support that.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-m...-are-simmering
    Last edited by lil_buddy; 10-16-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
    Im a Fed. Govt worker and have had to have assistance lately..I make over 15 an hour. Times are tough for EVERYONE....
    Wow. That's a bit more than I make. I didn't qualify for assistance, though. So I work extra hours to try to make ends meet. I hate having to be away from my Lil Knot even more hours a day, but ya gotta eat, right?

And you said it! Times are tough for everyone. I remember my ex saying one time that there was no job he was too proud to hold. That he would work at McDonald's before he would let our family suffer.

However, he lost his job in June and has been REALLY picky about some really choice job offers so as a result my daughter has no health insurance (but she just got ok'd for Medicaid, yay!) I haven't had child support in 4 months, and I have had to take on extra hours to make up the difference.

So much for his false bravado. Hope he gets the perfect job. Maybe then he can start catching up on the thousands he owes us.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Nope. It's really sad, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
    Not everyone, politician are being paid even though the government is shut down. I bet they are eating and sleeping just fine.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    Not everyone, politician are being paid even though the government is shut down. I bet they are eating and sleeping just fine.
    I have no doubt they are. The rest of us, however...

I guess I am being subtle if the message hasn't gotten across...

I support doing away with corporately owned chain restaurants that's one reason I never eat at them.
    Yep corporate squeezes the franchises. I don't support that.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-m...-are-simmering
    I won't eat at subway because they won't let their employees work more than 29 hrs. weekly so they don't have to give them healthcare. Subway is a multi million dollar corp., they can afford health care they are just cheep. The company my son presently works for provided health care for their employees before it became mandatory, and they only had about 15 employees, but managed to give all their employees health benefits.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    yep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast