Majority of U.S. fast-food workers need public assistance -- study

lil_buddy

Inactive
Reaction score
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/majority-u-fast-food-workers-160000493.html

The studies follow large nationwide demonstrations in August, when fast-food workers went on strike and protested outside McDonald's, Burger King and other restaurants in 60 U.S. cities, demanding a "living wage" of $15 per hour.

The U.S. fast-food industry generates sales of $200 billion a year. The companies have long said that mostly young people do the entry-level work of flipping burgers or making milkshakes and that these positions are stepping stones to higher-paying jobs. However, the NELP found that the median age of a fast-food worker was 28, Temple said.

Closed thread about the strike:
Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/majority-u-fast-food-workers-160000493.html

The studies follow large nationwide demonstrations in August, when fast-food workers went on strike and protested outside McDonald's, Burger King and other restaurants in 60 U.S. cities, demanding a "living wage" of $15 per hour.

The U.S. fast-food industry generates sales of $200 billion a year. The companies have long said that mostly young people do the entry-level work of flipping burgers or making milkshakes and that these positions are stepping stones to higher-paying jobs. However, the NELP found that the median age of a fast-food worker was 28, Temple said.

Closed thread about the strike:
Fast Food Workers Want $15/hr - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

What was the median as far as schooling?

Im a Fed. Govt worker and have had to have assistance lately..I make over 15 an hour. Times are tough for EVERYONE....

I was just reading news that states are not going to take any new snap applications if a govt deal isn't reached Thursday. Hopefully benefits will be given to those already eligible?

I was just reading news that states are not going to take any new snap applications if a govt deal isn't reached Thursday. Hopefully benefits will be given to those already eligible?

2nsrfux.jpg

from shutdown thread

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The U.S. fast-food industry generates sales of $200 billion a year. The companies have long said that mostly young people do the entry-level work of flipping burgers or making milkshakes and that these positions are stepping stones to higher-paying jobs.

$200 billion a year makes it SEEM like they are all making tons of money. Some do but many many fast food places have slim profit margins.

If their margins are cut even more many will simply shut down (especially in low income areas where the profits are slim to begin with).

$200 billion a year makes it SEEM like they are all making tons of money. Some do but many many fast food places have slim profit margins.

If their margins are cut even more many will simply shut down (especially in low income areas where the profits are slim to begin with).

Please post at least one credible link to anything that supports any of your assertions.

Please post at least one credible link to anything that supports any of your assertions.

Credible link? Are you trying to not so subtly imply something? I work for a company that sells to fast food restaurants so knowing how much they make and how much can afford is our business.

And here is a link, a lot of QSR owners invest a LOT and then work their butts off for a middle income salary.

Their figures: Thirty percent (of franchisees) put in between $151,000 and $500,000 to buy their franchise. Roughly 31 percent ponied up between $51,000 and $150,000.

What do these owners clear in a year? The 3,500 respondents in the survey reported their net average is just $64,000.

Remember, that’s $64,000 that comes without healthcare, paid vacation and sick time, or the other fringe benefits of being an employee.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolti...ng-for-veterans-lots-of-risk-not-much-reward/

Credible link? Are you trying to not so subtly imply something? I work for a company that sells to fast food restaurants so knowing how much they make and how much can afford is our business.

And here is a link, a lot of QSR owners invest a LOT and then work their butts off for a middle income salary.

I guess I am being subtle if the message hasn't gotten across...

I support doing away with corporately owned chain restaurants that's one reason I never eat at them.
Yep corporate squeezes the franchises. I don't support that.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-mcdonalds-franchisees-are-simmering

Im a Fed. Govt worker and have had to have assistance lately..I make over 15 an hour. Times are tough for EVERYONE....

Wow. That's a bit more than I make. I didn't qualify for assistance, though. So I work extra hours to try to make ends meet. I hate having to be away from my Lil Knot even more hours a day, but ya gotta eat, right?

And you said it! Times are tough for everyone. I remember my ex saying one time that there was no job he was too proud to hold. That he would work at McDonald's before he would let our family suffer.

However, he lost his job in June and has been REALLY picky about some really choice job offers so as a result my daughter has no health insurance (but she just got ok'd for Medicaid, yay!) I haven't had child support in 4 months, and I have had to take on extra hours to make up the difference.

So much for his false bravado. Hope he gets the perfect job. Maybe then he can start catching up on the thousands he owes us. :banghead:

Nope. It's really sad, isn't it? :(

I guess I am being subtle if the message hasn't gotten across...

I support doing away with corporately owned chain restaurants that's one reason I never eat at them.
Yep corporate squeezes the franchises. I don't support that.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-mcdonalds-franchisees-are-simmering

I won't eat at subway because they won't let their employees work more than 29 hrs. weekly so they don't have to give them healthcare. Subway is a multi million dollar corp., they can afford health care they are just cheep. The company my son presently works for provided health care for their employees before it became mandatory, and they only had about 15 employees, but managed to give all their employees health benefits.

I won't eat at subway because they won't let their employees work more than 29 hrs. weekly so they don't have to give them healthcare. Subway is a multi million dollar corp., they can afford health care they are just cheep. The company my son presently works for provided health care for their employees before it became mandatory, and they only had about 15 employees, but managed to give all their employees health benefits.

MOO:

If you apply the same logic to all of the businesses who are being forced by ( you know what) in to a choice of bankruptcy or cutting employees to part time, your shopping and dining choices will be very slim indeed.

Subway is in very good company. Retail stores, resturants, daycares and more will cut hours, drastically raise prices or shut down completely. The longer the citizens of the USA are threatened with retaliation in the way of increasing fines for being unable to afford much more expensive insurance payments plus $2500 per family member before the first benefit kicks in, the fewer full time jobs there will be.

MOO

Most "middle class" people have a huge difference between gross & net income- so there is not a whole lot of difference between the bottom line of what is available for "discretionary" spending- such as groceries.

MOO:

If you apply the same logic to all of the businesses who are being forced by ( you know what) in to a choice of bankruptcy or cutting employees to part time, your shopping and dining choices will be very slim indeed.

Subway is in very good company. Retail stores, resturants, daycares and more will cut hours, drastically raise prices or shut down completely. The longer the citizens of the USA are threatened with retaliation in the way of increasing fines for being unable to afford much more expensive insurance payments plus $2500 per family member before the first benefit kicks in, the fewer full time jobs there will be.

MOO

If the owner of subway had to sell his home(mansion) and move into a trailer park, then I wonder if this health care law is working for him, but I'm pretty sure this health care law will not effect him financially one way or another. Like I said my sons boss offers and has offered health care to all his employees since he opened, and his business has not suffered in the least. The employees are all healthy and know if they get sick they won't have to spend hundreds to thousands at the emergency room. As a matter of fact he just purchased land and built a new multi million dollar home, and we live in a very small town. Everyone is assuming that the health care law won't work. I say give it some time and tweak it here and there and I have a feeling it will be just fine. Other countries have had mandatory health care and it has been working fine for decades.
http://www.pnhp.org/facts/a-brief-history-universal-health-care-efforts-in-the-us

I want everyone to be comfortable...but I don't think that can happen. I have a BS degree and good work history and make 15 an hour. If they raise FF workers wages....I can't afford ff AND it makes all the college classes I took totally pointless.
I don't think FF work was ever supposed to be a "living". It is supposed to be for students, for 2nd incomes, etc. (I know that some people don't have a choice and can't find a better job, though).

I won't eat at subway because they won't let their employees work more than 29 hrs. weekly so they don't have to give them healthcare. Subway is a multi million dollar corp., they can afford health care they are just cheep.

Uhhhh....Subway Corporate does not even own ONE store! They are 100% franchised and the average Subway owner brings in $40k a year IF they work in their single location at least 40 hours a week.

Subway owners don't make much at all, now McDonald's owners are pretty well off but you have to own a bunch of Subways to make the big bucks....and most all Subways are run by small time owners.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back