860 users online (128 members and 732 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NC - Shaniya Davis 5, Antoniette Davis pleaded guilty to 2nd Degree murder!

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

Hi folks -- Here's the thread for A. Davis --

Mods, please take a look and fix any part of it, if it needs it!

Thank you all, and let's think Justice for one of God's prettiest creations.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/...2?sac=fo.local

Lawyers ask judge to recuse himself in trial of Shaniya Davis' mother

Lawyers for the mother of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis are asking Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons to recuse himself from her upcoming trial.

Jury selection in Antoinette Davis' murder trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 28 in Cumberland County Superior Court.

Lawyers representing Davis filed a motion Tuesday asking Ammons to recuse himself from presiding over the case. They previously filed a motion asking that all charges against Davis be dismissed.

Lawyers ask judge to recuse himself in trial of Shaniya Davis' mother

Lawyers for the mother of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis are asking Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons to recuse himself from her upcoming trial.
    This quote from Ima's post above, taken from the linked article Ima cites, makes no sense to me. I haven't seen everything, I'm sure, in their document(s) for reasons to have him recused, but I just can't imagine why -- unless they were just reluctant to say they thought Ammons already has his mind made up. I don't think that's the case at all. Having the same judge stay with a case, or several, is common at least in the jurisprudence I have seen in NC courts. The same judge will prolly preside at Amanda Hayes trial in January, 2014 -- unless he retires, which he is eligible to do...

It sounds like the old throwing-spaghetti-against-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks trick to me.

eta: Please know that my comments above do not in any way have anything to do with Ima -- ima only presented the article -- my objections have to do with what's in the article itself!!

If anyone can tell me more about the reasoning behind this recusal pitch, please speak up... Maybe I just missed something.
    Last edited by borndem; 10-17-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: eta

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post

If anyone can tell me more about the reasoning behind this recusal pitch, please speak up... Maybe I just missed something.
    It's just par for the norm in almost every trial; a standard objection put in place for the inevitable appeals after conviction.

I'm glad this sorry excuse for a mother is finally going to trial.
    Last edited by Kimster; 10-18-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: repaired quote

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    This quote from Ima's post above, taken from the linked article Ima cites, makes no sense to me. I haven't seen everything, I'm sure, in their document(s) for reasons to have him recused, but I just can't imagine why -- unless they were just reluctant to say they thought Ammons already has his mind made up. I don't think that's the case at all. Having the same judge stay with a case, or several, is common at least in the jurisprudence I have seen in NC courts. The same judge will prolly preside at Amanda Hayes trial in January, 2014 -- unless he retires, which he is eligible to do...

It sounds like the old throwing-spaghetti-against-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks trick to me.

eta: Please know that my comments above do not in any way have anything to do with Ima -- ima only presented the article -- my objections have to do with what's in the article itself!!

BBM my own opinion.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

I think they are just trying to muddy the water.

Notice !!

Shaniya Davis' mother pleads guilty in her death

http://www.wral.com/news/page/12706857/?break_id=8169

The above is just a short blurb -- they will publish more as the get it. I'll follow up...

ETA: Here's a little more:

http://www.wral.com/mother-pleads-gu...eath/13011614/
    Last edited by borndem; 10-18-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: eta

Interesting! I'll bet it was because of this...

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=9291946

New charges added in Antoinette Davis case

An indictment filed this week adds conspiracy and first-degree kidnapping charges to the long list of charges that 29-year-old Antoinette Davis faces in the 2009 murder of her daughter Shaniya.

The news came Friday as Cumberland County Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons refused to suppress evidence against Davis. Her lawyers had argued she was coerced into making statements to police before her arrest.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/s...storyid=302932

WRAL-TV is reporting that Antoinette Nicole Davis pleaded guilty to Second-Degree murder, Human Trafficking, First-Degree Kidnapping, First-Degree Sex Offense, Felony Child Abuse with Prostitution, Child Abuse and Indecent Liberties with Child. A judge sentenced her to spend at least 17 years in prison.

The plea deal included the dismissal of a First-Degree Rape Charge, the station reports, and it means no trial - which was scheduled to begin Oct. 28.

http://www.wral.com/mother-pleads-gu...eath/13011614/

The mother of a 5-year-old Fayetteville girl who was murdered almost four years ago will spend at least 17 years in prison after pleading guilty Friday to several charges in her death.

Antoinette Nicole Davis, 29, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, human trafficking, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree sex offense, felony child abuse with prostitution, child abuse and indecent liberties with child. She was sentenced to between 210 and 261 months in prison.

And more -- this article prior to the deal being struck:

Slain girl's mom: 'I gave her to him to cover $200'

http://www.wral.com/slain-girl-s-mom...200-/13011101/

Well, I guess dat's dat. A disappointment, as I'm sure many of us WS'ers will agree, but she's in custody at this moment, and she'll now be property of the NC Dept. of Public Safety/DOC (old name) for a while.

Let's pray that the dependents she leaves behind will be cared-for in a good home with a real family somewhere. I am thinking of her young son right now. Regular meals, clean clothes, help with school and some real two-way love -- that's what he needs. Please don't let circumstances throw him away, or he may be standing in front of this same judge in a few years. It's all so tragic. This kid saw stuff that we couldn't dream up, I'm sure, and he saw it every day, IMO. I would like for him to see -- every day -- what normal family life is like so that he will want to have that himself when he is grown...

Children are not trash to crumble-up and throw out on the side of the street.

I hope we will see what develops with him...

And isn't AD pregnant now? Some couple would love to have a new-born... Another tragedy, and he/she hasn't even been born yet. She ought to get time for that, too, IMO. Grrrrrr.

Please excuse the rant...

Reading some tweets:

Nicole Carr ‏@NicoleCarrABC11 17min
    Davis: "I did the best I could as a mother." #shaniyadavis #ABC11

REALLY????
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

Renee ‏@neelobo 3min
    #ShaniyaDavis
    Mother pleads guilty (Alford plea) in Shaniya Davis' death ~ http://www.wral.com/mother-pleads-gu...eath/13011614/
    Sentence - between 210 - 261 months

That's about 20 years max. I am not impressed.

I agree with this tweet 100%

Connie Biddle ‏@spicypink1 19min
    #shaniyadavis She'll get credit 4 time served so she'll be out at 42 & can have more children she can sell or for the state #DAfailedShaniya

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast