NC - Shaniya Davis 5, Antoniette Davis pleaded guilty to 2nd Degree murder!

Hi folks -- Here's the thread for A. Davis --

Mods, please take a look and fix any part of it, if it needs it!

Thank you all, and let's think Justice for one of God's prettiest creations.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/10/17/1290162?sac=fo.local

Lawyers ask judge to recuse himself in trial of Shaniya Davis' mother

Lawyers for the mother of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis are asking Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons to recuse himself from her upcoming trial.

Jury selection in Antoinette Davis' murder trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 28 in Cumberland County Superior Court.

Lawyers representing Davis filed a motion Tuesday asking Ammons to recuse himself from presiding over the case. They previously filed a motion asking that all charges against Davis be dismissed.

Lawyers ask judge to recuse himself in trial of Shaniya Davis' mother

Lawyers for the mother of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis are asking Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons to recuse himself from her upcoming trial.
This quote from Ima's post above, taken from the linked article Ima cites, makes no sense to me. I haven't seen everything, I'm sure, in their document(s) for reasons to have him recused, but I just can't imagine why -- unless they were just reluctant to say they thought Ammons already has his mind made up. I don't think that's the case at all. Having the same judge stay with a case, or several, is common at least in the jurisprudence I have seen in NC courts. The same judge will prolly preside at Amanda Hayes trial in January, 2014 -- unless he retires, which he is eligible to do...

It sounds like the old throwing-spaghetti-against-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks trick to me.

eta: Please know that my comments above do not in any way have anything to do with Ima -- ima only presented the article -- my objections have to do with what's in the article itself!!

If anyone can tell me more about the reasoning behind this recusal pitch, please speak up... Maybe I just missed something.

If anyone can tell me more about the reasoning behind this recusal pitch, please speak up... Maybe I just missed something.

It's just par for the norm in almost every trial; a standard objection put in place for the inevitable appeals after conviction.

I'm glad this sorry excuse for a mother is finally going to trial.

This quote from Ima's post above, taken from the linked article Ima cites, makes no sense to me. I haven't seen everything, I'm sure, in their document(s) for reasons to have him recused, but I just can't imagine why -- unless they were just reluctant to say they thought Ammons already has his mind made up. I don't think that's the case at all. Having the same judge stay with a case, or several, is common at least in the jurisprudence I have seen in NC courts. The same judge will prolly preside at Amanda Hayes trial in January, 2014 -- unless he retires, which he is eligible to do...

It sounds like the old throwing-spaghetti-against-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks trick to me.

eta: Please know that my comments above do not in any way have anything to do with Ima -- ima only presented the article -- my objections have to do with what's in the article itself!!

BBM my own opinion.

Interesting! I'll bet it was because of this...

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9291946

New charges added in Antoinette Davis case

An indictment filed this week adds conspiracy and first-degree kidnapping charges to the long list of charges that 29-year-old Antoinette Davis faces in the 2009 murder of her daughter Shaniya.

The news came Friday as Cumberland County Superior Court Judge Jim Ammons refused to suppress evidence against Davis. Her lawyers had argued she was coerced into making statements to police before her arrest.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=302932

WRAL-TV is reporting that Antoinette Nicole Davis pleaded guilty to Second-Degree murder, Human Trafficking, First-Degree Kidnapping, First-Degree Sex Offense, Felony Child Abuse with Prostitution, Child Abuse and Indecent Liberties with Child. A judge sentenced her to spend at least 17 years in prison.

The plea deal included the dismissal of a First-Degree Rape Charge, the station reports, and it means no trial - which was scheduled to begin Oct. 28.

http://www.wral.com/mother-pleads-guilty-in-shaniya-davis-death/13011614/

The mother of a 5-year-old Fayetteville girl who was murdered almost four years ago will spend at least 17 years in prison after pleading guilty Friday to several charges in her death.

Antoinette Nicole Davis, 29, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, human trafficking, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree sex offense, felony child abuse with prostitution, child abuse and indecent liberties with child. She was sentenced to between 210 and 261 months in prison.

Well, I guess dat's dat. A disappointment, as I'm sure many of us WS'ers will agree, but she's in custody at this moment, and she'll now be property of the NC Dept. of Public Safety/DOC (old name) for a while.

Let's pray that the dependents she leaves behind will be cared-for in a good home with a real family somewhere. I am thinking of her young son right now. Regular meals, clean clothes, help with school and some real two-way love -- that's what he needs. Please don't let circumstances throw him away, or he may be standing in front of this same judge in a few years. It's all so tragic. This kid saw stuff that we couldn't dream up, I'm sure, and he saw it every day, IMO. I would like for him to see -- every day -- what normal family life is like so that he will want to have that himself when he is grown...

Children are not trash to crumble-up and throw out on the side of the street.

I hope we will see what develops with him...

And isn't AD pregnant now? Some couple would love to have a new-born... Another tragedy, and he/she hasn't even been born yet. She ought to get time for that, too, IMO. Grrrrrr.

Please excuse the rant...

Reading some tweets:

Nicole Carr ‏@NicoleCarrABC11 17min
Davis: "I did the best I could as a mother." #shaniyadavis #ABC11

REALLY???? :stormingmad:

I agree with this tweet 100%

Connie Biddle ‏@spicypink1 19min
#shaniyadavis She'll get credit 4 time served so she'll be out at 42 & can have more children she can sell or for the state #DAfailedShaniya

Thank you! Blessed Be.

Its finally done Shainya. Crying right now.

She did it to avoid the 3 possible life sentences.....At least she will have a long time to think about it. RIP Shaniya.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/10/18/1290447?sac=fo.local

Antoinette Davis accepts plea deal, gets at least 17 years for death of 5-year-old daughter Shaniya

Antoinette Davis, her head bowed and her face wet with tears, apologized in the courtroom Friday after accepting a plea deal that will send her to prison for at least 17 years for the murder of her daughter Shaniya.

Davis, 29, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, first-degree sex offense and other charges after a judge ruled that, at her Oct. 28 trial, prosecutors could use the incriminating statements she made to police.

In those statements, Davis admitted giving her 5-year-old to Mario McNeill so he could have sex with her to settle a $200 debt. Six days later, in November 2009, Shaniya's body was found dumped in woods off N.C. 87.

Before concluding Friday's proceedings, Ammons ordered Davis to stand in his courtroom.

"I saw you on that videotape. 'All he was supposed to do was have sex with her. That's it. That's all. That's it,' " Ammons said to Davis. "You could have saved your daughter's life, but you did not. You had the opportunity and the means to save Shaniya's life, and you did not.

"You are not a good mother. This did not have to happen. Take her away, please."

Here is one more MSM article on the hearing from Raleigh's News & Observer:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10...s-guilty-in-death.html#emlnl=Crime_and_Safety

---------------------------------------------

Here is AD's new address and the beginnings of her record:

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi...turl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=1

---------------------------------------------
Before concluding Friday's proceedings, Ammons ordered Davis to stand in his courtroom.
"I saw you on that videotape. 'All he was supposed to do was have sex with her. That's it. That's all. That's it,' " Ammons said to Davis. "You could have saved your daughter's life, but you did not. You had the opportunity and the means to save Shaniya's life, and you did not.
"You are not a good mother. This did not have to happen. Take her away, please."
from the article previously cited above by imamaze.
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2013/10/18/1290447?sac=fo.local

And those words from Judge Ammons, bless him, speaks for all of us including certainly The People of the State of North Carolina, and especially for the littlest angel, Shaniya Davis.

images
images
images

Yes, Heaven is too full of these angels, but we know that they laugh and play together and have no idea what fear is anymore.

I am sorry to see her get off so easily, but I am glad she will be in prison for a while.

I have kept this case updated as there was news, and now a lot of the early-on news from this case is unfindable. Back when I started, I was a novice at it, did not know to save the news sites, etc, so it may be low quality. But it's all there, every ugly detail.

The Trials and Beyond section of the archive begins in April, 2013 and covers anything trial-related.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...&page=1&_suid=1382237252607009232496423945108

The Main Case Archive has a ton of hearings, arrest stuff, pre-trial, all that, but it also has all the news too... the family stuff, the DCF stuff, funeral and everything but the trials.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...6&page=1&_suid=138223784815404049764437307317

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back