1295 users online (244 members and 1051 guests)  

Websleuths News

ID - Choking game for 13 year olds?

Police are looking into whether a choking game, or passing out game may have been involved in the death of a 13 girl in Idaho.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/p...WS01/504230330
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

How could they possibly "enjoy" it? Even thinking about not being able to breathe freaks me out. Several students in our town cut themselves; usually on their wrists! This is very scary stuff; beyond comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom
    How could they possibly "enjoy" it? Even thinking about not being able to breathe freaks me out. Several students in our town cut themselves; usually on their wrists! This is very scary stuff; beyond comprehension.
    Cutting is a different issue. Cutting is a mental health issue that hopefully these kids are being treated for.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Honestly? When I was a freshmen, we used to do something similar. One of us would stand against the wall, and two other kids would push on their chest til they passed out..and that was 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by indicajane
    Honestly? When I was a freshmen, we used to do something similar. One of us would stand against the wall, and two other kids would push on their chest til they passed out..and that was 15 years ago.
    I was going to say the same thing.
    As stupid as it is/was we did it too until I was told by a Nurse how dangerous it was and I stopped. We did it alittle differently but the effect was the same.

I wish I could say that was the only stupid thing I did !!
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

I remember some kids in junior high school, back in the early 60's who would hold their breath until they turned blue in the face and passed out. I never understood why anyone thought that was fun.

Mystery View,

Making oneself pass out sounds like a mental health issue to me as well. Especially when they are hanging themselves trying to reach a "high". I know I'm older than most of you here but I honestly never heard of this game before. I only recently heard about kids who cut themselves as well. The only time I have ever passed out was decidedly NOT fun! How sad when kids feel a need to abuse themselves, regardless of the method they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheromom
    Mystery View,

Making oneself pass out sounds like a mental health issue to me as well. Especially when they are hanging themselves trying to reach a "high". I know I'm older than most of you here but I honestly never heard of this game before. I only recently heard about kids who cut themselves as well. The only time I have ever passed out was decidedly NOT fun! How sad when kids feel a need to abuse themselves, regardless of the method they use.
    Both are problems, but separate types of problems. For the choking game, they get the thrill without the drugs. The kids need to be educated on the dangers of brain damage, possible damage to throat tissues, and death. Cutting is considered a behavioral issue I think. Both are bad behavior and need to be addressed, but how they are addressed would be different. Sorry I didn't make myself clear on that.