Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24-year-old teacher murdered by 14-year-old student

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieWind View Post
    I suspect that the order sealing the case will at least in part be overturned, esp once the grand jury has been concluded. The emotional impact the evidence may have on the victim's family really can't be considered a reason for sealing the court file, since that will all come out eventually anyway and the public's right to know will likely over-ride that.
    PrairieWind, hopefully, but sealing info & lack of transparency by many Judges seems to be the norm in many high profile cases over the past few years..
    The sealing of information only leads to rampant speculation and rumors, imo.

Awareness by the American public is the key to successful investigations and prosecutions, imo.
    Imo, "Silence by the Justice system/LE is the predators most Lethal weapon"..

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mass...shows-20667104

Video Allegedly Shows Teen Moving Teacher's Body
    Police claim 14-year-old Philip Chism killed his teacher in the faculty bathroom.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't be surprised if they discover that PC locked the bathroom door in advance somehow - the women's faculty restroom - prompting use the student restroom- for whatever reason. It just seems odd to me that the door was locked.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GutInstinct For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GutInstinct View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they discover that PC locked the bathroom door in advance somehow - the women's faculty restroom - prompting use the student restroom- for whatever reason. It just seems odd to me that the door was locked.
    I thought it was locked because someone was using it? I assumed it was a one-person bathroom.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ami For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    PrairieWind, hopefully, but sealing info & lack of transparency by many Judges seems to be the norm in many high profile cases over the past few years..
    The sealing of information only leads to rampant speculation and rumors, imo.

Awareness by the American public is the key to successful investigations and prosecutions, imo.
    Imo, "Silence by the Justice system/LE is the predators most Lethal weapon"..
    I tend to agree. I can understand sealing some parts, especially early on, but not blanket sealing of the record.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

I cant understand how noone saw him doing anything. It's just odd to me!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to katinva For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katinva View Post
    It was probably just at that right time between when the students are gone, the teachers have just finished with the afterschool tutoring, etc and left and just before the custodians start coming through. Those that were still around were probably in classrooms and wouldnt have heard/seen anything.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katinva View Post

http://m.salemnews.com/TSN/pm_104190...tguid=4AKuXayX

Newspapers challenge judge's sealing of documents in murder case
    BY JULIE MANGANIS
    Posted: 10/29/2013

<sniped & BBM for focus>

The request to seal the materials was granted by Judge Michael Lauranzano, who also sealed the motion outlining the prosecutionís request to seal the materials.

A spokeswoman for Blodgett said Friday that the request was made on three grounds: concern for prejudicing Chismís right to a fair trial, the emotional impact that details of the crime might have on Ritzerís family and friends, and the fact that the materials identify witnesses who have not testified before a grand jury.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    http://m.salemnews.com/TSN/pm_104190...tguid=4AKuXayX

Newspapers challenge judge's sealing of documents in murder case
    BY JULIE MANGANIS
    Posted: 10/29/2013

<sniped & BBM for focus>

The request to seal the materials was granted by Judge Michael Lauranzano, who also sealed the motion outlining the prosecutionís request to seal the materials.

A spokeswoman for Blodgett said Friday that the request was made on three grounds: concern for prejudicing Chismís right to a fair trial, the emotional impact that details of the crime might have on Ritzerís family and friends, and the fact that the materials identify witnesses who have not testified before a grand jury.
    I find it curious the court thinks these witnesses need to be kept secret. It's starting to give the impression there may be more going on here.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

I find it curious the court thinks these witnesses need to be kept secret. It's starting to give the impression there may be more going on here.
    Yep, PrairieWind, in many ways...imo.. Guess, we may find out Friday...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

The witnesses are most likely all under age. The Court cannot give their names b/c of that.

Also, don't want media questioning a bunch of under age kids. They will say any and every thing that comes to mind, and that could compromise the case.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 21merc7 For This Useful Post:

I am guessing they are juveniles and therefore it is being done to protect them.

I don't know what more would be going on ??? I'm just curious what your thoughts may be.

This IMO is pretty cut and dry, if they have him on video and he has confessed. What's lacking is motive, which is never revealed or understood in so many cases.

I live in a city where you hear about the initial crime and then nothing more. It's aggravating that there is never any, or very little, follow up and it's a large city with it's fair share of crime.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BeginnersLuck For This Useful Post:

It was probably just at that right time between when the students are gone, the teachers have just finished with the afterschool tutoring, etc and left and just before the custodians start coming through. Those that were still around were probably in classrooms and wouldnt have heard/seen anything.
    But how would he have known she would go to the ladies room?
    A lie will go round the world before the truth gets its pants on - Charles Spurgeon

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
    But how would he have known she would go to the ladies room?
    Was it part of her regular routine? I know I always go to the restroom right before I leave at the end of the day (I have a long ride home). I'm leaning toward premeditation and that PC planned this murder and would have been aware of her daily habits.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gxm For This Useful Post:

I guess to some degree I have back up a bit. The criminal systems in different states, and even different districts, work a little different. And I dont specifically know how its done in Mass. But here, the grandjury witnesses wouldnt be in the court file prior to their testimony anyway. I really dont know why they would be. Additionally, where a minor's identity needs to be protected, you dont seal the file, the name is either just blacked out or alias used. So the grandjury witness id excuse, i just dont buy. But what I am wondering is if there are perhaps witnesses, likely juveniles, that had some prior knowledge of something. Maybe the police are still actively investigating something in that regard. But that is just pure speculation. But again, when the court seals the file, speculation runs rampant.
    Last edited by PrairieWind; 10-30-2013 at 03:58 PM.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gxm View Post
    Was it part of her regular routine? I know I always go to the restroom right before I leave at the end of the day (I have a long ride home). I'm leaning toward premeditation and that PC planned this murder and would have been aware of her daily habits.
    I dont think he would have had opportunity to go lock that bathroom. I wonder if the faculty bathroom is always kept locked and teachers need a key (keeps the kids out). She forgot her key, so she used the other bathroom. If some sort of confrontation had occurred in the classroom, she could have been upset and left abruptly, just looking for someplace to go to be alone for a few moments. We just don't know enough yet of what the cameras caught. I am still waiting to hear an explanation of how long she had been in the bathroom before he entered. Seems we have heard 5 minutes at first and then that changed to "he followed her in".

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-evidence.html

"...The District Attorney's office will call several 14-year-old students in front of a grand jury to give testimony about one crucial thing the children apparently saw in the hours leading up to Colleen Ritzer's death...."

Guess it will have to all come out in the trial.
    I for one want there to be justice for Colleen !
    This was a cruel and monstrous act, no matter what kind of "reason" Phillip had.

To be honest, hopefully the courts will not treat this with 'kid gloves' as I fear Phillip could be dangerous to others in the future ; he has had a taste of killing and will not have that hesitation (that he may have had--and overcome), to anyone who makes him angry in the future.

MOO

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LietKynes For This Useful Post:

Interesting. So perhaps there is a very good and specific reason for the sealing of the record for now. I wonder what it is that these kids apparantly saw? And what was it about the killing that will be so upsetting to the victim's family? (more upsetting than what we already know?). I have a couple of suspicions.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

'Imo, this is very concerning'.. "If the worse case scenario wasn't Philip Chism's motive, they'd be no reason for sealing, imo"..

RE: He was drawing in his note book and not working. He always draws, but I didn't ever see what he was sketching because he was quite private about it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2jL0nU6nk
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He was described as 'stone cold' by one officer.

Investigators want to keep evidence a secret because the children are currently unaware of its huge significance, DA's office tells MailOnline
    Partly why prosecutors went to court to have documents relating to a search carried out on Chism's family home and other evidence sealed
    District Attorney plans to sit down with the Ritzer family before the end of the week to discuss upsetting specifics of the case with them.

The DA would only release this statement: 'We requested the impoundment because the search warrant affidavit and the motion to impound the affidavit contain sensitive information that may be prejudicial to the defendant and jeopardize his right to a fair trial; witness names who have yet to appear before the Grand Jury and information that may contribute to the increased psychological and emotional distress of the victim’s family.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2jKrB5wLV
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by Foxfire; 10-31-2013 at 05:41 PM.

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Foxfire For This Useful Post:

Foxfire, it certainly could be that the thing the other kids saw earlier, without recognizing the significance, was the drawings. However, you would think that once they heard of the killing, the would have immediately made a connection.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:

To say this is premature and it's not as if I'd have any influence about this case ; but right now I don't need to know what was in PC's notebook/drawings, his motives, or whatever else he did. (Although I'm curious, and I still don't think this was Colleen's fault at all)
    I only hope they don't let him out of jail some year in the future, and he does this again. Like when he's 21.

If he's in prison the psychiatrists/psychologists can study him as much as necessary. *rolls eyes*

This is strictly my opinion and is probably flawed; yet it would appear that as much as 'shrinks' have picked the brains of the likes of Berkowitz or Dahmer (sp?), no one can understand some acts--ever. And certainly such studies don't appear to be preventing future tragedies , and are most likely spawning 'copycats'.
    MOO
    Last edited by LietKynes; 10-31-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Added

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LietKynes For This Useful Post:

He may have written down his plan to kill her in detail, and that may be the "prejudicial" content that prosecutors don't want released to the public before trial.
    His drawings might also point specifically to the crime. He may also have told some classmates about his plans/desires.

Just a guess.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:

Foxfire, it certainly could be that the thing the other kids saw earlier, without recognizing the significance, was the drawings. However, you would think that once they heard of the killing, the would have immediately made a connection.
    PrairieWind, imo, although there will be significant info contained in PC's sketches, but there will also be a treasure trove of evidence/info on his pc, etc. From the article, there was obviously indicting evidence located by LE during the execution of the search warrant that points to motive.

I feel for Colleen's family! What horrors await them, I cannot imagine.

47. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Isabelle For This Useful Post:

IMO, this was probably very premeditated. As if he had angry thoughts about doing this since he first saw Colleen.
    Not the rash actions of a teen who "snapped".
    MOO

49. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LietKynes For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast