Leopard Costume Pulled From WalMart Shelves

M.James

Reaction score
I didn't find this posted anywhere (maybe there's a reason for that).

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/09/walmart-pulls-naughty-leopard-costume-for-kids/

Walmart has pulled its “Naughty Leopard” costume for toddlers after customers complained about the costume’s suggestive name. The costume itself consisted of a sleeved, knee-length dress with lace and sparkles and a cat ears’ headpiece.

What're your thoughts?

People with too much time on their hands?

jmo

Well I did have problems with the pole dancing kit for kids but this seems a bit much.. Just because of the name.

I suppose since I’ve asked for your thoughts I thought I should offer mine.

I will say this is something I would have put it on my daughter (although, we didn’t buy costumes). I thought it was cute and girlish.
I can’t make out some parts of it (the tights?), exactly, so would need to see it close up before seriously commenting anything else.

The name: I believe someone made a bad word choice. We have come to associate some words as sexy or dirty or alluring because they’ve become cliché in certain genres.
When my daughter turned her computer to show me, I shook my head and said, ‘Eew, wrong choice.’ Otherwise, I couldn’t see anything offensive.

Funny how our brains learn to associate and stereotype such things as words. Remember when we would all feel gay when Johnny comes marching home? When’s the last time you heard that word used like that?
But we do the same thing with words that we do with people. Although, I’ve no idea why (in any usage) they would use “naughty” there.

Just my opinion.

Edit: I've never seen or heard of the pole dancing kit for kids. Wow.

I had a flashback to my favorite girl band.,,
Josie and the Pussycats:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had a flashback to my favorite girl band.,,
Josie and the Pussycats:)

It is familiar with that. I would've dressed up like that in a minute. And, Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie). I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be considered proper today, but would have loved it when I was a kid.

There is nothing wrong with the costume itself, but whoever decided on that name for a toddler costume needs to take a better marketing course.

There is nothing wrong with the costume itself, but whoever decided on that name for a toddler costume needs to take a better marketing course.

I happen to like the word naughty to describe children's bad behavior. I think it's a cute appropriate word. It's a darn shame the English language is being taken hostage by the "word police"

I happen to like the word naughty to describe children's bad behavior. I think it's a cute appropriate word. It's a darn shame the English language is being taken hostage by the "word police"

I use the word naughty with my own daughter to describe her behaviour too. It's the connotation in relation to a costume that brings on the double meaning.

I use the word naughty with my own daughter to describe her behaviour too. It's the connotation in relation to a costume that brings on the double meaning.

I rather enjoy sitting back and reading comments from both views on things like this as it sometimes makes me think harder than I would have.

I do believe the word has taken a bad rap (in these parts, leastways).
Although, I can see the word being suitably used with a costume that has such a thing as an angel holding a trident and being called "naughty angel".

I thought the leopard costume to be too cute to be passable as naughty (in the unstereotypical sense). I just don't get it. That's just me.

I enjoy having my thoughts provoked.
Just my opinion (for now).

I thought the leopard costume to be too cute to be passable as naughty (in the unstereotypical sense). I just don't get it. That's just me.

RSBM

That's just it. It's a cute costume for a toddler girl. There is nothing at all wrong with the costume itself. So, why not call it a "cute leopard" or a "pretty leopard" instead of using "naughty", a word that gets plenty of use in adult costumes that are fully intended to be provocative.

It was an unnecessary adjective to use IMO.

RSBM

That's just it. It's a cute costume for a toddler girl. There is nothing at all wrong with the costume itself. So, why not call it a "cute leopard" or a "pretty leopard" instead of using "naughty", a word that gets plenty of use in adult costumes that are fully intended to be provocative.

It was an unnecessary adjective to use IMO.

Well... I would hope in a country where everyone is provided access to a free public education...adults would be capable of understanding two conflicting definitions for a word and be intelligent enough to distinguish between the two, which is the correct one for usage
In the scenario.

My guess is that it was made in a country where the people who named it have a somewhat limited understanding of the nuances of English. To them naughty and Halloween might go together since there are so many Halloween costumes that use it, while the naughty nurse connotation is lost??

My guess is that it was made in a country where the people who named it have a somewhat limited understanding of the nuances of English. To them naughty and Halloween might go together since there are so many Halloween costumes that use it, while the naughty nurse connotation is lost??

Personally I love coming across directions or instructions written by people that have a limited understanding of the language!

I just wish I could remember the few I've come across lately because they were VERY funny!

Well... I would hope in a country where everyone is provided access to a free public education...adults would be capable of understanding two conflicting definitions for a word and be intelligent enough to distinguish between the two, which is the correct one for usage
In the scenario.

I know the difference in the definition for sure, and I'm relatively sure the people who chose to complain about it do too.

Given that the use of the descriptor was likely not referencing the behaviour of the child wearing it, it was an unfortunate choice in word.

I'm guessing that you are absolutely correct, but someone employed by Walmart made the decision to stock the item with that wording.

I'm guessing that you are absolutely correct, but someone employed by Walmart made the decision to stock the item with that wording.

I still don't see the problem.
I'm dense that way:)

I like words, all of them, even the naughty ones. . IMO I think people just need to grow the hell up, put on their big, grown up panties and find something worthwhile that actually matters to do with their time.

Oh and most toddlers can't read... So it seems a whole lotta whining over nothing

I still don't see the problem.
I'm dense that way:)

I like words, all of them, even the naughty ones. . IMO I think people just need to grow the hell up, put on their big, grown up panties and find something worthwhile that actually matters to do with their time.

Oh and most toddlers can't read... So it seems a whole lotta whining over nothing

I don't disagree with you. It's not like the kid would be wearing the cardboard cover along with the costume anyway.

But, (of course there is a but), like it or not, there is a double meaning for the word naughty, especially when used to describe a costume. Especially a costume for a little girl. Most parents don't want to even remotely connect their toddler girls to any type of sexuality. The marketing department of Walmart should have been aware that the wording could be misconstrued. And it was.

We unfortunately live in an age where censorship, political correctness is breeding over-sensitivity.

Given that the use of the descriptor was likely not referencing the behaviour of the child wearing it, it was an unfortunate choice in word.

I also believe it was a poor word choice.

Linda said:
I like words, all of them, even the naughty ones. . IMO I think people just need to grow the hell up, put on their big, grown up panties and find something worthwhile that actually matters to do with their time.[

I'm a word person myself. Hate seeing butchered English. And, enjoy seeing the language used in new ways.
But, watching and listening to people with opposing sides helps everybody (except the truly obstinate) learn something.

I think part of the problem against the word in this place is the people who will/would have purchased the item for the very reason that some oppose it.

The word can be suggestive. Not because we want it to be, but because others have made it that way.
Once the costume is out of the package no one sees the suggestiveness anymore, but I think the idea that a person would buy it because it said 'naughty' is one thing some find infuriating.

I think I'll just read.

I don't know that it is word police, or just so much more awareness now about predators. Halloween gives even more attention what with RSO's houses needing to be avoided and has been widely talked about in the past few years. Remember the pumpkin sticker booboo? :facepalm:

So, really, it is just that "naughty" or "sexy" being associated with little ones and then being associated with the heavy news off being careful of offenders that sets off something like this. The costume is okay, but not really even a good choice as it means nothing to a child. A simple black cat would be better.

As far as odd instructions on things that are poorly translated, oh, I've had them on furniture you put together, but the funniest was some tea bags. Wish I could remember what it said, but I did have one of the bag covers with instructions hanging on the fridge for a few years for chuckles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back