Identified! Greece - LIVING 4 year old, with Roma couple, Oct'13 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
ezrr.jpg

'The Smile of the Child' charity released this photo of the girl, now in its care,
as Greek authorities appeal for international assistance to identify her.

Roma couple explains their side of mystery girl story

By Michelle Kosinski, NBC News Correspondent
October 23, 2013

LARISSA, Greece – The lawyer for the Roma couple accused of abducting the little blond, blue-eyed girl who has become known around the world as “Maria” says her clients say the girl’s real mother is a Bulgarian Roma prostitute.

Christos Salis, 39, and Eleftheria Dimopoulou, 40, said they were Maria's parents until DNA tests revealed they were not biologically related.

Now the couple says that a prostitute and her pimp/boyfriend, “Michaelis,” were looking for a home for the unwanted baby among local Roma families and they could not resist the urge to help the baby, according to their lawyer Marietta Palavra, who spoke to NBC News in an exclusive interview.
Greece Trying to Identify Girl Found in Gypsy Camp
ATHENS, Greece October 18, 2013 (AP)
By NICHOLAS PAPHITIS Associated Press

Around 4 years old and going by the name Maria, the girl looked nothing like the couple she lived with, officials said Friday. DNA tests proved she wasn't their child, and further investigation raised even more suspicions: authorities allege the mother claimed to have given birth to six children in a total of less than 10 months, while 10 of the 14 children the couple registered as their own are unaccounted for.

As Greek officials now try to figure out the girl's true identity and whether the couple was linked to child trafficking rings, experts are using the case to point out the severe weaknesses in the country's birth registration system.

The child was found Wednesday near Farsala in central Greece. Police say they also found drugs and unregistered firearms in other parts of the Gypsy — or Roma — settlement, which is about 280 kilometers (170 miles) north of Athens.
Thread #1

From thread #1
Two warnings have already been given by me, and my warnings were bumped by mods and members and I'm still being ignored. The time outs are going to commence now.

How do you keep from getting a time out?

1) STAY ON TOPIC: this thread is about a missing girl and the posts should be about how to find her. ONE example - "head lice" is not a topic for this thread and if posts like this continue, those posters will find themselves on the outside looking in!

2) Other than Gitana1, posts about the gypsy culture need to be linked up. And they need to PERTAIN to the MSM links of information in THIS case.

3) Discussing human trafficking is fine, because it possibly pertains to this case.

4) Snarky comments about other members opinions are NOT allowed

Let me or any other moderator know if you have any questions because if someone blows it again, they might lose their posting privileges for awhile.

@ Inana - does any one know where I might find Greek law on drugs and weapons? Is Greece soft on drugs, as are several other countries around there? Are weapons banned?

And does anyone know what Hristos Salis' former criminal record is? I wonder if it was theft or abuse. Hopefully not child abuse.
---
Greek drug laws http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/html.cfm/index5174EN.html?pluginMethod=eldd.countryprofiles&country=GR

It was reported in a MSM link on the previous thread that Dad Roma had an armed robbery conviction/record.

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

In Dublin, a 7-year-old girl whom Irish police took from her parents, a Roma couple, two days ago was reunited with them.
A DNA test confirmed she is their daughter, a source familiar with the case's legal proceedings told CNN on Wednesday.

Police, acting on a tip, had removed the girl from her home on Monday and placed her in protective care.
The girl and her parents live in the suburb of Tallaght. The parents told CNN they have a passport for the girl, but they do not call her by the name on the passport. The couple, who appeared to be very upset by the situation, also showed CNN photos of the girl.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/world/europe/europe-mystery-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/world/europe/europe-mystery-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Good Heavens.

I think CNN could safely have taken the 'appeared to be' out there. I have no doubt, they are upset, to say the least.

The case in Ireland is a completely different one. There is a whole thread for it somewhere.

Good Heavens.

I think CNN could safely have taken the 'appeared to be' out there. I have no doubt, they are upset, to say the least.

Ya think CNN? Geeesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That article also says four authorities have been suspended, including at the registry office where the Greek girl's passport was issued. It's interesting, because we have heard a lot about lack of proper/legitimate documentation/faking to obtain money etc by the Roma people, but not so much about the same thing amongst the rest of Greek society.

There have been plenty of reports about that though, starting from the very top of society. Here's a finance minister talking about the 'creative accounting' of millions and millions of dollars;

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/23/international/europe/23greece.html?_r=0

Also, Greek authorities have been reduced to spying on people's swimming pools, in order to get wealthy people to pay the taxes they owe. They simply don't chose to do that particular paperwork in many cases. We are not talking paltry child benefit amounts here either. €15bn it says here. That would provide a lot of care for vulnerable children, and ensure that they are not in danger of going missing or being neglected.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/.../Greece-loses-15bn-a-year-to-tax-evasion.html

The case in Ireland is a completely different one. There is a whole thread for it somewhere.

I think it is worth having the link here too, because half the article is about the little girl in Greece.

Somebody asked on the other thread about lisa irwins parents credit cards.. i believe thats correct
Are u refering them being linked to maria with the siezed goods ?
I get what your saying. ! Similarities

And welcome =)

Biological mother of Maria possibly identified

http://www.tovima.gr/en/article/?aid=536412

It is thought that the 31-year-old Sasha Ruseva was in Greece for occasional agricultural work in Fthiotida, which could confirm the allegation of Christos Salis and Eleftheria Dimopoulou who claim that they were given the child to raise.

it's been my feeling all along that these people did not kidnapp this precious child.
my question is if it's true mother gave her to them( not through the proper channels) and she can't raise her,will little maria be given back to the roma or put up for adoption??

Not to go off topic because this event may be related to the "Maria" case, but the M M case has officially been reopened in Portugal.

Published Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:35AM EDT

LISBON, Portugal -- Portugal's public broadcaster says prosecutors are reopening the police investigation into the disappearance of British girl Madeleine McCann, after a review of evidence found new leads in the case.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/world/report-prosecutors-reopen-madeleine-mccann-case-1.1511072#ixzz2idyytGnG

Link includes map of Roma settlements.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ere-maria-the-blonde-angel-lived-8897530.html

"Marinos says he fears the girl's biological parents would now be too scared to appear before the police. He claims his wife's parents had begun proceedings to legally adopt "Maria" but their lawyer died before completing the process.

Young "Maria", who speaks very little Greek, is now at a hospital in the care of a Greek charity, where she has been undergoing tests to ascertain her real age.

Although the child was initially distraught after being taken, a spokesman from the charity said she is now calm"

How could they have been trying to adopt her, when reportedly they obtained a birth certificate on her based on falsified information?

Does anyone have a really reliable source with a quote regarding what the parents say? I'm not sure if it's a case of inaccurate reporting, a game of Chinese whispers, or if they're changing their story.

It's kind of hard to know what to believe when they reportedly told so many stories of how they got the child.
I've read that they claimed child's father was Canadian, or that he was in prison. Well now he is a pimp. And mother is a Roma prostitute. I thought Romas weren't engaging in prostitution.

So, I see some continuing questions about why the couple who were keeping Maria have so many versions of their story. Gitana1 has explained this way upthread. I have repeated it here, but first, I’ve quoted Kimster regarding Gitana1’s insight into Roma culture and why she’s particularly qualified to speak on the matter:

Please note that we do not verify members as being experts of any cultures.

Having said that, Gitana1 is a verified attorney and her personal information is on file. I also know that she has researched and studied the gypsy culture for over ten years - and I have seen this documentation. If we were in the habit of verifying cultural experts, she would be verified in a heartbeat.

I hope that helps!

2) Other than Gitana1, posts about the gypsy culture need to be linked up. And they need to PERTAIN to the MSM links of information in THIS case.

It seems they’ll just keep making up stories, but probably never tell the truth, even if it’s not in their best interest, or in Maria’s best interest. Again… it’s cultural. I've bolded the relevant sentence.

I read she gave many versions of how they got the child. Why not just say the truth?

Gypsies mistrust outsiders and many are trained from childhood to never tell the truth to them. This policy is going to hurt them in this case. They must have done something illegal in connection with this child because you cannot take money for a child and I'm pretty sure either a pimp wanted to get rid of her or a prostitute wanted some drugs or drug money. I just don;t think these particular people would take her in for nothing, because it is clear to me they were disguising her hair color at times, likely to have her blend in, so I don;t think they valued her fairness for begging purposes. (Besides, there are a ton of gorgeous Gypsy kids who can do the job). So, they feel they have to lie about how they got her.

LOL, oh, hi Gitana1, here I am quoting you, just when you come along. Ha <waving>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee