861 users online (126 members and 735 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned

Read also the 'naughty kitten' thread.

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned by US university

University of Colorado Boulder tells students to avoid costumes including cowboys, indians, white trash or anything potentially deemed offensive.
    University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...niversity.html

I used to dress up as a cowboy. These PC people are whacked IMO.
    It's Halloween. I think you could probably 'sexualize' any costume.
    They didn't tell students not to wear sombreros on Cinco de Mayo or green derbys on St.Patty's Day.

We have the right to be offended in this country. Some people need to exercise that right and put their big kid panties on.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    We have the right to be offended in this country. Some people need to exercise that right and put their big kid panties on.

JMO
    As if the college kids are going to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post

JMO
    Something, somewhere will offend someone. The only time I objected to a Halloween costume was the guy who came as a used Tampax.

so when a friend of ours dressed as a woman one Hallowe'en, that could be deemed as offensive because he wasn't really a transvestite?

one year my friend & I went as 'white trash' ... what if we had colored our skin black? would that not be offensive because 'black trash' is not a common term?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    so when a friend of ours dressed as a woman one Hallowe'en, that could be deemed as offensive because he wasn't really a transvestite?

one year my friend & I went as 'white trash' ... what if we had colored our skin black? would that not be offensive because 'black trash' is not a common term?

My son (black) wants to go to a party this weekend in white face and call himself a "negative"

Roflmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    My son (black) wants to go to a party this weekend in white face and call himself a "negative"

Roflmao!

I doubt any whites would object, why would we? Now, answer honestly - if someone came in black face, would it be taken in the same spirit of good fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I doubt any whites would object, why would we? Now, answer honestly - if someone came in black face, would it be taken in the same spirit of good fun?
    I doubt it. It's not the same.

I'm stunned, but I do thank you for the honest answer. I don't quite understand the whys and wherefores, however.

If one race can mimic the other, why isn't turn about fair play. I was also curious about the "negative" statement.

I'm not trying to turn this into a race war - I do believe you and I might be able to communicate.

I'm stunned, but I do thank you for the honest answer. I don't quite understand the whys and wherefores, however.

If one race can mimic the other, why isn't turn about fair play. I was also curious about the "negative" statement.

I'm not trying to turn this into a race war - I do believe you and I might be able to communicate.
    Negative, like on a film negative.

Because his costume could cause controversy ...I urged him not to.
    i suggested Day of the Dead Dude...he could wear his tux ( which was cheaper to buy the designer tux @ Burlington Coat Factory than to rent) and for 30 bucks more ... It's fully tailored!

Thumbs down

That is ridiculous!

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Having read the article, so far as I can tell, the headline of the article, and (by extension) the title of this thread, are somewhat misleading, as nothing is being 'banned', but students are being asked to avoid wearing costumes that perpetuate offensive stereotypes. Agree with that sentiment or not, it isn't the same as a 'ban' as there are no formal consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post

Roflmao!

BRILLIANT

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    Read also the 'naughty kitten' thread.

'Offensive' Halloween costumes banned by US university

University of Colorado Boulder tells students to avoid costumes including cowboys, indians, white trash or anything potentially deemed offensive.
    University students in America have been told not to wear "offensive" halloween costumes including cowboys, indians and anything involving a sombrero.

Students at the University of Colorado Boulder have also been told to avoid "white trash" costumes and anything that portrays a particular culture as "over-sexualised" - which the university says includes dressing up as a geisha or a "squaw" (indigenous woman).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...niversity.html

I used to dress up as a cowboy. These PC people are whacked IMO.
    It's Halloween. I think you could probably 'sexualize' any costume.
    They didn't tell students not to wear sombreros on Cinco de Mayo or green derbys on St.Patty's Day.

OMG!! I'm tempted to go over there right now with my sombrero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast