1142 users online (254 members and 888 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Andy Lopez, 13, carrying toy assault rifle, shot by LE, 22 Oct 2013

California cop's mistaken fatal shooting of boy unfolded in seconds

Reuters
    By Ronnie Cohen
    6 hours ago

This combination of photos provided by the family via The Press Democrat and the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department shows an undated photo of 13-year-old Andy Lopez and the replica assault rifle he was holding when he was shot and killed by two Sonoma County deputies in Santa Rosa, Calif. on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013. (AP Photo/Family via The Press Democrat, Sonoma County Sheriff's Department)
    View gallery

This combination of photos provided by the family via The Press Democrat and the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department shows an undated photo of 13-year-old Andy Lopez and the replica assault rifle he was holding when he was shot and killed by two Sonoma County deputies in Santa Rosa, Calif. on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2013. (AP Photo/Family via The Press Democrat, Sonoma County Sheriff's Department)

By Ronnie Cohen

SANTA ROSA, California (Reuters) - No more than 10 seconds elapsed from the time sheriff's deputies spotted a 13-year-old California boy carrying what they thought was an assault rifle and the moment they shot him dead, only to learn afterward the gun was a plastic replica, police said on Thursday.

It took 16 seconds more for the two officers to call for medical assistance, according to the time line of events released by police investigating Tuesday's shooting in Santa Rosa, a suburb in northern California's wine country.

http://news.yahoo.com/california-cop...053109259.html

Poor kid.

According to that account, one of the deputies opened fire after the boy was twice ordered to put the gun down and instead turned toward the officers as the barrel of the weapon rose in their direction.
    I saw this on the news. They held up the replica and a real assault rifle... you could not tell the difference from a distance.

Police also have said the deputy who opened fire could not tell from the angle of his position that he was shooting at a child, but saw the gun and feared for his life.
    I stand by the cops on this. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    I saw this on the news. They held up the replica and a real assault rifle... you could not tell the difference from a distance.

I stand by the cops on this. jmo
    I understand what you're saying...who knows why he raised the barrel of the gun? I feel bad for him because -- I don't know if he was just being a goofy kid and thought the police would get his "joke", or if he was scared, or what, but his decision cost him his life.

So young. I can't imagine what the family of the young man and the officers are going through. Coulda-woulda-shoulda I imagine.

Such a horrible situation, I don't really know if anyone is to blame. My thoughts are with all - this boy's loved ones, and the LE who will have to live with this for the rest of their lives.
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
    Emily Dickinson

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    This is really sad. Unless I was there I can't understand what happen. It is a tough call. If the officer really feared for his life then that's that. What ever happen to quickly dodging behind a car, or is that only in the movies.

Why don't we just stop making toy guns that look like real ones?
    Oh, yeah because that would be taking away the kids rights, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Why don't we just stop making toy guns that look like real ones?
    Oh, yeah because that would be taking away the kids rights, got it.
    I totally agree. This is ridiculous. A coworker was railing and saying the officers should not have shot this kid. The argument was he was 13, model student, had a TOY gun, etc.

My argument was, in teh moment, those officers had no way of knowing this was a "good" kid with model student and carrying a TOY. If its not a real weapon that LEOs or citizens need to worry about then it should never LOOK like one.

This was a tragic accident IMO. I am sorry but you cannot any longer assume that a teen carrying what appears to look like a weapon is "safe"

Not in this day and age - how many kids have brought guns to school and harmed or intended to harm others in just the last two weeks??

LEOs are not psychic, they simply are not.

Here are some images of some air soft pellet guns.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

another
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

I'm not very impartial though. My kids can't even have squirt guns.
    I simply don't trust them to make the distinction between real and fake guns.
    NO GUNS, PERIOD is very clear.

*Though for the record my Dad is into guns and my kids WILL learn gun safety.*
    They just will know that they NEVER touch a gun unless Grandpa is there. ANY GUN.

Yep and all the rocket scientists who wish to arm teachers in schools will be moaning and groaning in a year about how some poor teacher/s accidentally shot some poor kid/s who was really getting a handkerchief out of his pocket instead of a gun.

Running an Arms Race domestically is never a smart idea.

I wish Americans would realise that guns do not represent freedom, and gun licencing does not represent erosion of that freedom.

Sorry you know I love y'all.

Australians have a Travel Warning issued by our PM regarding travelling to the US due to your gun obsession.

Yep, just like Afghanistan or Syria.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

Fabulous .. just unreal. I put this up yesterday, but I'll add it here too ..

Terrible tally: 500 children dead from gunshots every year, 7,500 hurt, analysis finds

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/terrib...500-8C11469222

Shoot first, ask later ..
    You don't get a medal for switching alliances just before the result, as it becomes apparent the other team is set to win.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSteel View Post
    Yep and all the rocket scientists who wish to arm teachers in schools will be moaning and groaning in a year about how some poor teacher/s accidentally shot some poor kid/s who was really getting a handkerchief out of his pocket instead of a gun.

Running an Arms Race domestically is never a smart idea.

I wish Americans would realise that guns do not represent freedom, and gun licencing does not represent erosion of that freedom.

Sorry you know I love y'all.

Australians have a Travel Warning issued by our PM regarding travelling to the US due to your gun obsession.

Yep, just like Afghanistan or Syria.
    No offense taken- I'm an American who feels the exact same way- I made my husband get rid of his gun. I felt less safe with it. I gave him an ultimatum- his gun or me, but he couldn't move in with me and force me to live with his gun. He chose me!!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

If a teenager pointed what appeared to be an assault rifle, in my direction, after being told twice to drop his weapon, I'd have shot him too.

Very sad.

But easily preventable in many ways.....

-don't make replica guns
    -don't carry or allow your child to carry a realistic replica in public
    -don't point your replica at the police
    etc etc etc.....

These cases make me so angry..

I own a replica XM-177 airsoft rifle(think ar-15). Just looking at it from a distance, you cannot tell the difference. No orange tip. I have owned it since i was alot younger but I was still over 18.

People ask me what i own it for. Well, im sure alot of you have heard of paint ball. Alot of people play airsoft instead and run Mil sim's. One mistake alot of people who dont know any better make, is they believe these are kids toys instead of adult toys like they are. While kids can play with them responsibly under adult supervision, its very important to teach them about Airsoft Weapon Safety. I have only ever played with someone under the age of 18 once, and he came with his dad and was well versed on proper use. One of the most important things everyone is taught is DONT TAKE IT OUT IN PUBLIC!!!!!! Hell we dont even put the mag in the gun until on the playing field. The thing is, The Person with the FAKE gun ALWAYS looses the fight.

Infact we realize the mistake with real guns is so easy to be made, that we notify the local police before EVERY game. You never know what could happen. Case in point, one day the RCMP raided a grow up next to the field. Atleast 1 suspect fled leading fully armed ERT officers onto our field. 30+ men wearing full camo and replica weapons could cause alot of confusion. things could have got ugly. Its amazing what a little responsibility will do. Several officers, after learning about us, came out a few weeks later to join the fun.

We shouldnt just ban things because some morons dont know how to be responsible. Im not sure the rules down south but make them 18+. Hell, sell them as if they were real guns, just dont prevent responsible users from enjoying a loved hobby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast