Terrible tally: 500 children dead from gunshots every year ..

Mrs G Norris

Reaction score
.. 7,500 hurt, analysis finds

About 500 American children and teenagers die in hospitals every year after sustaining gunshot wounds — a rate that climbed by nearly 60 percent in a decade, according to the first-ever accounting of such fatalities, released Sunday.

In addition, an estimated 7,500 kids are hospitalized annually after being wounded by gunfire, a figure that spiked by more than 80 percent from 1997 to 2009, according two Boston doctors presenting their findings at a conference of the American Academy of Pediatrics, held in Orlando, Fla.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/terrible-tally-500-children-dead-gunshots-every-year-7-500-8C11469222

About 500 American children and teenagers die in hospitals every year after sustaining gunshot wounds — a rate that climbed by nearly 60 percent in a decade, according to the first-ever accounting of such fatalities, released Sunday.

I am surprised the number is so low, I guess this only counts the ones that died in the hospital and not the ones dead at the scene.

Note the article considers "children" to be 20 years old or younger, it actually says "teens aged 20 or younger". Since when is 20 a teen? Then the article shows pictures of a 5 year old and uses a 3 year old as an example. Facts apparently have nothing to do with that piece, it is all about emotion and spin.

The vast majority of those "children" were in fact murdered by violent criminals and that gives me every reason to own firearms.

Gang involvement has been associated with many teen murders; in 2002, nearly three-quarters of teen homicides were attributed to gang violence. http://www.childtrends.org/?indicators=teen-homicide-suicide-and-firearm-deaths

Yeah, I think the numbers in the OP are just from the hospital records and don't include the ones who died without ever going to the hospital.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, gunshot injuries rank second only to motor vehicle crashes as a cause of death for children ages 15 to 19. From 2001 to 2010, 29,331 children ages 0 to 19 years died of gunshot-related injuries; another 155,000 were injured seriously enough to undergo treatment in emergency departments.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/14/guns-injuries-children/2955557/

(I consider 19 year olds young adults and not children but they shouldn't be dying anyway)

Total of all gun crimes in Australia in 2012 were - 1,217.

In Japan, I think it was - 11.

8,000 wounded and dead kids in one country suggests to me - a problem.

Wow, I didn't know that about Japan. Interesting.
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

But Ausgirl, guns are awesome!! Also there was some law written at a time when guns were single shot muscats that means that everyone has the right to own a gun, just in case the citizens need to rise up against the government (or something) don't you know? Also a lot of crims have guns, so therefore everyone should be able to get one too. Also guns don't kill people, people kill people. There is more of this cr*p being spruiked .. basically it means the gun industry doesn't want to lose any sales, and if people die then that's just collateral damage that everyone must accept as a price for so called 'freedom' .. ?

But Ausgirl, guns are awesome!! Also there was some law written at a time when guns were single shot muscats that means that everyone has the right to own a gun, just in case the citizens need to rise up against the government (or something) don't you know? Also a lot of crims have guns, so therefore everyone should be able to get one too. Also guns don't kill people, people kill people. There is more of this cr*p being spruiked .. basically it means the gun industry doesn't want to lose any sales, and if people die then that's just collateral damage that everyone must accept as a price for so called 'freedom' .. ?

Wise lady. ;)

Twelve thousand people dead annually certainly sounds like citizens are having a civil war amongst themselves.

It never made much sense to me that there is a law that people have a right to own guns in case they need to rise up against the government, when in practice, if they try to rise up against the government and shoot a senator or something they will be arrested and prosecuted as murderers.

Over 2,000 children die in car accidents each year
Over 2,000 children die from SIDS each year
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/10LCID_All_Deaths_By_Age_Group_2010-a.pdf

about 700 kids die from drowning each year.
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/water-safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

Let's outlaw children dying shall we?

I wish we could. But since that's impossible, we should work to reduce those numbers in all categories in any way we can. I don't see anyone opposing pool safety, automobile safety, or efforts to reduce SIDS deaths. Working to protect kids from gun injuries shouldn't be any different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

There's a difference between educating and trying to restrict ownership of guns

sent from my galaxy 4 using SWYPE, expect typos.

I was watching an Australian cop show and they were talking about some perp they found with an AK47 (back before our tighter laws).

He said, and I quote "we couldn't think of one single reason why anyone would need an AK47" and he's right.

:(

There's a difference between educating and trying to restrict ownership of guns

sent from my galaxy 4 using SWYPE, expect typos.

Gun laws do not restrict your ability to own guns any more than a drivers license restricts your ability to drive a car.

In addition, an estimated 7,500 kids are hospitalized annually after being wounded by gunfire, a figure that spiked by more than 80 percent from 1997 to 2009, according two Boston doctors presenting their findings at a conference of the American Academy of Pediatrics, held in Orlando, Fla.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/terrible-tally-500-children-dead-gunshots-every-year-7-500-8C11469222

I think gun crimes (and violence) is just a symptom of larger societal issues going on in the States. But you'd have to live here to know about them---some of the issues are not too pretty.....

BBM - Japan may not have much gun violence, but Fukashima has the potential to kill the world.

IMO, of course.

Compare the aftermath of the Japanese earthquake and tsunami to that of Katrina when it hit New Orleans.

One was ultra civilized the other was mass chaos, looting and random violence at the first opportunity.

That is why Americans want their firearms, different culture and different risks.

Twelve thousand people dead annually certainly sounds like citizens are having a civil war amongst themselves.

It never made much sense to me that there is a law that people have a right to own guns in case they need to rise up against the government, when in practice, if they try to rise up against the government and shoot a senator or something they will be arrested and prosecuted as murderers.

It's even sillier when you realize that if the government wants to kill you they can use a drone and your gun will for all intents be useless.

Its called GANG activity. Get rid of gangs and these numbers will drop dramatically.

Compare towns without gangs to towns with gangs and its easy to figure out the problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back