GUILTY CO - Sheine Steine, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Frederick, 28 Oct 2013

tezi

Proud member of WS since 2000.
Reaction score
I just read this. I graduated from high school here.

Mom's story isn't adding up.

Frederick Police Department Chief Gary Barbour says the mother of the 3-year old boy had called 911 at 9:45 a.m. to report the child had "apparently fallen and was bleeding from a head wound." She also reported the boy was not breathing.

When police and fire paramedics arrived, they found a handgun near the child.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...s-of-head-wound-in-frederick-gun-found-nearby

The story has been updated. A gunshot wound is the COD. The only people in the house were him and his mom.

RIP, sweetie.

No names have been released yet, pending notifications of next of kin.

No arrests after 3-year-old Frederick boy dies of gunshot wound to head
Incident still under investigation

FREDERICK, Colo. - A 3-year-old boy in Frederick died from an accidental gunshot wound to the head, the Weld County Coroner reported Tuesday.
<snip>
"We have no reason to believe this was anything other than an accidental firing of the gun while the child handled it," Barbour confirmed to 7NEWS.

more at the link:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...d-frederick-boy-dies-of-gunshot-wound-to-head

So why is there a loaded gun within reach of a three year old?

That's worth a manslaughter charge, at the very least.

FREDERICK, Colo. &#8212; The mother of a 3-year-old boy who fatally shot himself in the head was charged with criminally negligent child abuse resulting in death this week.

(snip)

The district attorney&#8217;s office said Steine found the gun inside a mattress frame in Warren&#8217;s bedroom. Warren had left Steine home alone while taking her older daughter to school, according to investigators.

http://kdvr.com/2013/12/10/mother-charged-in-death-of-frederick-3-year-old-who-shot-himself/

It's bad enough she left a 3yo home alone, but with a loaded gun?? I wish more adults would be charged in the many accidental shootings involving children.

What a totally preventable tragedy :( RIP, little Sheine.

Exactly how long was this child at home alone for?
If she says that she took her daughter to school she left in the morning, presumably... but the article says the emergency call was made at night.

The district attorney&#8217;s office said it was Warren who made the emergency call on the night of Oct. 28, summoning officers to her home in the 500 block of Pine Street on a report that her 3-year-old son, later identified at Sheine Steine, had fallen and was bleeding from a head wound

ETA: an earlier article says the 911 was called at ten a.m.
Officers were called to Steine&#8217;s home in Frederick around 10 a.m. Monday when his mother called 911 saying he had fallen and was bleeding from a head wound.
http://kdvr.com/2013/10/29/police-3-year-old-frederick-boy-died-of-accidental-gunshot-to-head/

<modsnip>

It is NOT a lot of work to bring a three year old along on a school run. Toss a jacket on him and put him in his car seat, bring sis to school, come home. Carry him if you have to...I can sometimes see both sides of a situation, but I really can't here. There was NO excuse to leave a three year old home alone and ABSOLUTELY no reason to leave him there with a LOADED GUN that he can REACH.

Although no one here is saying it, I do get tired of the, "He/She learned his/her lesson! His/Her child died!" It isn't always about teaching a lesson. Sometimes, it really is about justice for the victim and showing an example to society at large that we do, indeed, value our children.

wow,what a horrible story even if this is what really happened. however the whole thing seems fishy to me? Even if it was not night but 10 AM when she called 911,what time does her daughters school start?How far away is the school? Why would she leave the baby ?? ...and how long exactly did she leave him? Why did she call the babysitter first,saying she can't find her son,when he's laying dead in the bedroom???? ...and then she tells her why should she call 911 he's breathing????....and she tells 911 he hit his head and she's manipulating her older daughter,telling her she would be taken away???...and the step dad is hiding his face in shame instead of acknowledging a tragic accident???? IMO something is way off here beyond leaving the baby home alone with a loaded gun......

From November 2014:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...r-accidental-shooting-death-of-her-3-year-old

Dionne Warren was sentenced Friday morning to 14 days in jail, which was not part of her plea agreement on the charge of negligent child abuse resulting in death. Judge Shannon Lyons, however, said the jail time was necessary.

"Ms. Warren's grief is cloaked in a pattern of lies and deceit and obfuscation of the truth throughout this investigation. There is frankly no acceptable explanation for that," the judge said...

The boy found the gun hidden under a mattress when Warren left him alone to take her daughter to school...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back