970 users online (192 members and 778 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'Boobies' bracelet fight could go to Supreme Court

A Penn. school board voted to appeal a federal appeals court's decision rejecting its claim that "I (heart) Boobies!" bracelets are lewd and should be banned.

EASTON, Pa. The court battle between two girls and their Pennsylvania school over "I (heart) Boobies!" bracelets could be settled by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Easton Area School District board voted 7-1 Tuesday night to appeal a federal appeals court's decision that rejected its claim the bracelets are lewd and should be banned from school.

An attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which helped the girls challenge the rule, said Tuesday night the school had been hinting that it would petition the Supreme Court.

"I'm just really surprised that they're so determined to fight this speech case of all speech cases," said Mary Catherine Roper. "(The bracelets) didn't cause any problems in the school."

The lone board member to vote against the appeal said the district should just drop the matter.

"I think we should be done with it. Let it go. We lost 20, 30 times, I don't even know anymore," Pintabone said.

Easton is one of several school districts around the country to ban the bracelets, which are distributed by the nonprofit Keep A Breast Foundation of Carlsbad, Calif.

http://news.msn.com/us/boobies-brace...-supreme-court

I hate how a deadly disease has been sexualized. The whole idea behind it just makes it sick. These organizations/campaigns ignore the woman behind the breasts. So although I don't think it's lewd, I'm rooting for the school district.
    Last edited by eileenhawkeye; 10-30-2013 at 09:16 AM.

I don't see it as creating a problem but trying to solve one. I hope the school loses yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    I hate how a deadly disease has been sexualized. The whole idea behind it just makes it sick. These organizations/campaigns ignore the woman behind the breasts. So although I don't think it's lewd, I'm rooting for the school district.
    My daughter told me that on facebook they had a thing going on where all these girls were saying go bra less on OCT 13th for breast cancer. She said some women wrote back saying how very tacky and cruel it was really since most women who had breast cancer had to have their breasts removed and did not think it was right. They felt it was like a slap in the face. I do have to agree, it is tacky. My mother in law lost her breasts due to breast cancer and I really think the last thing she would like is a bunch of bra-less women, its almost like mocking her.
    Seriously, do men go pantless for prostate cancer? I don't see how folks can think this is ok.

Booby is a name of a bird. The plural for booby is boobies.

Booby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 05-30-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    ITA. The focus should be about saving lives, not "boobies."
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

IMO the bracelets are an innocent way to bring light to the cause and MONEY.

Breast cancer is a serious cancer. It can also affect men. However, the cancer that kills the most for both men and women is lung cancer.

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Women
    Lung cancer (37.9)
    Breast cancer (21.9)
    Colorectal cancer (13.0)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/women.htm

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Men
    Lung cancer (60.1)
    Prostate cancer (21.8)
    Colorectal cancer (18.7)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/men.htm

Male Breast Cancer
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mal...cancer/DS00661

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
    Seriously, do men go pantless for prostate cancer? I don't see how folks can think this is ok.
    You mean 'commando' (without underwear). No one's suggesting they shouldn't wear shirts. But if going without pants raises money to beat prostate cancer then the next sound you'll hear is us unzipping our pants.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    You mean 'commando' (without underwear). No one's suggesting they shouldn't wear shirts. But if going without pants raises money to beat prostate cancer then the next sound you'll hear is us unzipping our pants.
    LOL, I have no problems with raising money for awareness, I just sometimes feel the way people try to raise awareness is offensive. Going braless does not raise money it just seems a way to seek attention. Boobie bracelets don't really bother me but it seems somewhat Tacky as in the name itself. My hubby always calls October Booby awareness month but it doesn't make it right. I can guarantee you he would not say such things around my mom, or even some other women.

Honestly, Don't school districts have better things to worry about and fight over... like the QUALITY (or lack thereof) of education they are giving our students.

Give me a break. What a waste of time and money.

I have five women in my family who have had their breasts removed because of active cancer or carrying the gene- one has died.

The women in my family think this "Booby" campaign is a great way to get younger kids to think and care about the issue. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
    My daughter told me that on facebook they had a thing going on where all these girls were saying go bra less on OCT 13th for breast cancer. She said some women wrote back saying how very tacky and cruel it was really since most women who had breast cancer had to have their breasts removed and did not think it was right. They felt it was like a slap in the face. I do have to agree, it is tacky. My mother in law lost her breasts due to breast cancer and I really think the last thing she would like is a bunch of bra-less women, its almost like mocking her.
    I so agree. As a breast cancer survivor, these kinds of tacky campaigns are hurtful. As for raising funds, I've not heard of any donations made to any organizations on behalf of these campaigns. Most breast cancer research (about $1 billion per year) comes from the federal government. You're already supporting research when you pay your taxes.

I support National Breast Cancer Coalition's Breast Cancer Deadline 2020. We need real prevention and cures fast. I prefer to donate to advocacy programs that push government and research institutions to find cures.

http://www.breastcancerdeadline2020.org/
    All statements are my opinion only.

BettyP! So glad you beat cancer and thank you for sharing the link! God bless you my dear~ Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    Breast cancer is a serious cancer. It can also affect men. However, the cancer that kills the most for both men and women is lung cancer.

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Women
    Lung cancer (37.9)
    Breast cancer (21.9)
    Colorectal cancer (13.0)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/women.htm

Leading Causes of Cancer Death Among Men
    Lung cancer (60.1)
    Prostate cancer (21.8)
    Colorectal cancer (18.7)

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/men.htm

Male Breast Cancer
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mal...cancer/DS00661
    Exactly, but lungs aren't as sexy (sheesh)... That being said, I hope the school wins. I agree with those who have stated that this is really sexualizing a deadly disease and, you can bet your a$$, if cancer of the penis (yes I mean penis, not prostrate...) was a common and serious health issue among men and "I love dicks!" bracelets/t-shirts/bumper stickers were being worn or displayed, people would certainly see that very differently and put a stop to it. JMO ~

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    I don't get these parochial cancer campaigns. Shouldn't we be pooling all our money to find a cure for cancer no matter what part of the body it's in?
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast