Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 271UFCA

http://doenetwork.org/cases/271ufca.html

Reconstructions of Victim
44x0.jpg

j3hr.jpg

Unidentified White Female

Discovered on August 13, 1991 in Meridian, Colusa County, California.
Estimated Date of Death: Less than 24 hours before the discovery
Cause of death was drowning
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 18 - 35 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0" - 5'4"; 130 - 145 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown/hazel eyes; brown short hair. She had Simian Creases in both hands. No scars nor tattoos. She had a muscular build, and there was a slight possibility that she had Down's Syndrome. Her build indicated that she may have been a runner or weight lifter. She had pierced ears with one hole in each ear.
Clothing: She was wearing a light blue tank top with blue flowers embroidered on front; white jogging type shorts with vertical blue-green stripes on each side and white LA Gear ankle high shoes. .
Case History
On August 13, 1991, this unidentified female was recovered from the Sacramento River, approximately one mile south of the Meridian Bridge.

Evidence points to the woman’s death being accidental.
Investigators found only one set of footprints in the area where the body was found * starting underneath the Highway 20 bridge and ending at the water’s edge.
Authorities checked locally, used the media, and checked Social Security in the event she was disabled.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Colusa County Sheriff's Office/Coroner
530-458-0200
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCMEC #: NCMC400078

NCIC Number:
U514215313
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Colusa County Sheriff's Office
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

I would have thought it would be easy to check for Down syndrome just by looking at the chromosomes (ie looking for trisomy 21 -- an extra copy of the 21st chromosome). If the technology wasn't available in 1991, I'm sure it is now, as long as they kept some DNA source.

Sad case. Especially if she did indeed have Down Syndrome, which as Essbee pointed out, would have been easily found out using DNA testing (which they apparently haven't done yet!). I also can not find any articles on her, or really any more information about her on the web. She does not have a NAMUS file. I have attached a police flyer (dated 1999) I was able to find on Ms Suzanne's "I Care" website. ***WARNING THERE IS A POST MORTEM PHOTO ON THE FLYER***

Attachments

• 2006_03_21_1120_321.jpg
    2006_03_21_1120_321.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 169
Fetal alcohol syndrome also can attribute to simian creases.

If she was in shape as noted, wouldn't she just swim, unless a) undisclosed/unknown preexisting conditions exhibited at the time, or b) she wanted to end her life?

Turner syndrome can also give you a simian crease and this makes you short too. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000379.htm

Given her description Turner syndrome shouldn't be off the table completely but just as with Down syndrome it could be proven or disproven with DNA.

This page gives some additional info on simian creases in general: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003290.htm

Many pictures of those with Turner syndrome tend to show extreme cases and they might lead you to exclude this unidentified as having this but look at this picture for example: http://www.ohio.com/news/short-geneticist03-1.37075?ot=akron.PhotoGalleryLayout.ot&s=1.68767

Is she still unidentified? I ask because she doesn't seem to be listed on NCMEC any longer. (And it appears she was never listed on NamUs.)

Somehow my pictures from the original post got deleted. Here are the pictures I had posted:
271UFCA.jpg271UFCA1.jpg

She is still in DoeNetwork, so I am assuming she's still unidentified? They are usually pretty good about that..as far as I know?

Hello,
From what I know about down syndrome is they do not have "muscular" builds. People with downs usually have low muscle tone.

Just my 2 cents.

My neighbor's daughter with Down Syndrome is a Zumba instructor. She has said it's a little harder for her to get in shape, and if she has to take time off, she falls out of shape more easily, but the exercise makes her lean and muscular, same as anybody else. So like nearly anything else, you can't make universal assumptions about people. It would be so much simpler if we could.

The description of where she went missing makes it sound like she was running beside the river and slipped in. This appears to be roughly where she was found: https://goo.gl/maps/PU24uVtx4CJ2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back