1440 users online (306 members and 1134 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MD - After 32 Years, Clothing Yields a DNA Key to Dozens of Rapes

I'm from Baltimore and last year lived with friends in the Silver Spring area. It's hard to imagine this stuff was going on there fifteen years back.

On another note-hooray for DNA and dilligent detectives!

http://nytimes.com/2005/04/27/nyregi...rtner=homepage

By JULIA PRESTON

Published: April 27, 2005

A forgotten piece of evidence in a rape case from more than 30 years ago - a pair of women's underpants - has led to the DNA identification of a suspect in at least 24 other rapes and sexual assaults stretching from New York to Maryland, the authorities said yesterday.

The DNA matches have linked the man to a notorious series of unsolved rapes that terrorized Montgomery County in Maryland and drew comparisons with the rampage of the Boston Strangler. Manhattan authorities said the Maryland cases might be only the beginning, as other states run the suspect's samples through their own DNA databanks.

The man, identified by his lawyer as Fletcher Anderson Worrell, 58, was located in an Atlanta suburb late last year after he tried to buy a shotgun. The background check turned up two arrest warrants for him in New York City.

The warrants were issued after Mr. Worrell - also known as Clarence Williams - jumped bail in 1978 and vanished as he was facing retrials in two rape cases in New York.

Manhattan prosecutors said yesterday that as they were preparing to extradite Mr. Worrell from Georgia last fall, they looked in his old file. There, tucked away for 32 long years in a legal folder, they found one victim's underwear.

Using DNA technology that was barely imagined at the time of the crimes, the prosecutors said they conclusively linked Mr. Worrell to one of the rapes.

"It ought to send a chill through a lot of defendants to know that after 32 years you can still test for DNA," Robert M. Morgenthau, the Manhattan district attorney, said yesterday as he announced the breakthrough in the case.

NY - Rapist stunned when told his DNA is tied to 24 other cases

The suspect in the 1973 rape of an aspiring Manhattan actress claimed yesterday to be stunned when a Post reporter told him he's been linked by DNA to 24 other attacks in three states.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/23582.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

He doesn't seem to bright,he knows he's a rapist and goes to get a gun and get's a fingerprint check,he's a real Einstein.Hope they charge him with the other rapes too

. . . he thought the past was behind him ! ? ! ? ! ?

They sould charge him with extreme stupidity on top of all the rape charges.

Sudzi

Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    It's a sign up article ... could you post part of the article?

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom
    It's a sign up article ... could you post part of the article?

go to www.bugmenot.com

They will give a password/email address so you can read articles from sign up sites!
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by messiecake
    go to www.bugmenot.com

They will give a password/email address so you can read articles from sign up sites!
    Messie thank you so much for that link ... it worked like a charm!

I was shocked, I had no idea from the original article that he had raped a 7 year old girl ... although it could have been plainly in the original article and I might have just mentally blanked that info out. Lord I'm glad they caught this s.o.b.

I am linking this to another article I found here in WS, that has a different article

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22565

Suspect's two names, two very different portraits

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...ines-manhattan

BY PETE BOWLES
    STAFF WRITER

April 27, 2005

To his lawyer, Clarence Williams, an accused serial rapist and man on the lam for almost 30 years, is actually Fletcher Anderson Worrell, an educator and the divorced father of twins.

"Fletcher Anderson Worrell is his true name and always has been," said attorney Michael F. Rubin of Manhattan. "He traveled under a passport with his true name and identification. He obtained credit cards and opened bank accounts with his true name. This is not the behavior of a fugitive."

Rubin said he does not know how the name Clarence Williams was linked to his client.

Prosecutors said Williams, 58, left New York in 1978 to avoid retrials in Queens and Manhattan. Rubin said that was not the case.

"His position was that he was never informed he had an obligation to return to court," Rubin said. "He never attempted to hide his identity."

Rubin said his client moved to Washington, spent some time in a mental institution and traveled to Egypt. He said Worrell had worked over the years at a number of jobs as a teacher and translator of Arabic.

"He recently came in through Kennedy Airport from Egypt with his true name," Rubin said. "He went through immigration and passport control. He didn't sneak into the country. This is not the behavior of a man who is knowingly trying to flee the jurisdiction. Why come back from Egypt if you know authorities are looking for you?"

Timeline of events that occurred in this case at article.

What the heck is up with the "true name" stuff. AND in the article with the grandmother didn't she call him by a completely different name (Sedrick Williams) ? ? ? ?

edited to add: the article regarding the grandmother's quotes is for a different SOB rapist that has been caught.
    Last edited by golfmom; 05-01-2005 at 01:52 PM. Reason: found the name

It's a way of life for ****s, it's just a shame it took so long to catch him.

So many innocent lives ruined by that creep.