1097 users online (230 members and 867 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Canada - Man rescued after 3 months in Quebec woods, ate his dog to survive

Trekker Marco Lavoie eats his beloved pet dog to survive days after it saved him from bear attack

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226752109250

I didn't see a thread on this, and wasn't too interested until I read that he had killed and eaten his German Shepherd, days after the dog chased the bear away that ate his food/destroyed his gear.

While I can sit here and say 'I'd never do that', I really don't know what I would do if I were starving. It's just a very sad situation.

RIP, sweet pup...

Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    Trekker Marco Lavoie eats his beloved pet dog to survive days after it saved him from bear attack

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226752109250

I didn't see a thread on this, and wasn't too interested until I read that he had killed and eaten his German Shepherd, days after the dog chased the bear away that ate his food/destroyed his gear.

While I can sit here and say 'I'd never do that', I really don't know what I would do if I were starving. It's just a very sad situation.

RIP, sweet pup...

So very sad.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

This has happened a few times before...
    There was another one where the guy killed his dog... but then didn't have the heart to eat it.
    I was MORE bothered by that because what a waste of killing the dog.

I DO know I could never do this. But I don't judge someone else who does.

So the dog's loyalty and protection saved the man from a bear attack, and in return he used that loyalty and affection as a means of killing the companion that stayed with him and risked his life for him.

The words "beloved dog" strike me as completely inappropriate. The MAN chose to hike out into the wilderness and TOOK his dog and when the man's lack of judgement put them both in a bad situation he chose to kill his loyal canine companion (and then claim he was the victim to get sympathy).

No sympathy at ALL. Disgusting story. I wish the bear had come back afterwards and finished the job. The man should have known the risks and prepared for them YET he apparently ignored them, I can't believe people feel sympathy for this guy.

I hate to judge too. However....I would never put my dog or myself in that position. I've had many dogs over the years. I took care of them and they took care of me as well. When I get a dog it's my intention to take care of them until they die. I have had some hard decisions to make concerning that.

The dog saved him. The dog did not make the decision to make the trek. The dog could have possibly survived had the man died. I do not feel it was the man's decision to make.

It's so hard to say but I believe that I would take my chances WITH my dog/friend/companion. If I died he'd have a better chance without me. Again...it was the man's decision to make the trek.

RIP sweet dog....you were an admirable companion and did not deserve to be killed by the man you trusted. You did everything to protect him.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by lost indie View Post
    RIP sweet dog....you were an admirable companion and did not deserve to be killed by the man you trusted. You did everything to protect him.
    Exactly. If this guy had been starving and was "forced" by starvation kill and eat his wife, kids, or human hiking companion would anyone be feeling sorry for him?????

No. No one would be feeling sorry for him. He would be considered a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    So the dog's loyalty and protection saved the man from a bear attack, and in return he used that loyalty and affection as a means of killing the companion that stayed with him and risked his life for him.

The words "beloved dog" strike me as completely inappropriate. The MAN chose to hike out into the wilderness and TOOK his dog and when the man's lack of judgement put them both in a bad situation he chose to kill his loyal canine companion (and then claim he was the victim to get sympathy).

No sympathy at ALL. Disgusting story. I wish the bear had come back afterwards and finished the job. The man should have known the risks and prepared for them YET he apparently ignored them, I can't believe people feel sympathy for this guy.
    Exactly. No sympathy for this barbaric fool from me either. Just can't imagine killing and eating one of my pets because I was starving due to my own stupidity.

Just very sad for the poor German Shepherd. What a waste of a beautiful life.

MOO
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

I have long believed that there should be an IQ test for animal owners.

Wandering into the wilderness with no proper preparation or survival skills is beyond foolish, it's totally brain dead and/or suicidal.

Poor doggie I hope you get a nice warm kennel and a big juicy bone in heaven x
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

I would starve to death before I would hurt my beloved German shepherd or any of my dogs. I also would never take my dog on a dangerous trip or myself either.

'I want a new dog': First words of stranded hiker forced to eat his beloved companion to stay alive in wilderness after bear attack stranded him for three months

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2jchmzisR

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    Exactly. If this guy had been starving and was "forced" by starvation kill and eat his wife, kids, or human hiking companion would anyone be feeling sorry for him?????

No. No one would be feeling sorry for him. He would be considered a monster.
    Exactly.
    Just my opinion

Oh my gosh. I did not see anything about this part of the story when the news of this man's survival first broke. How awful.

Quote Originally Posted by HulaMum View Post
    Oh my gosh. I did not see anything about this part of the story when the news of this man's survival first broke. How awful.
    Neither did I. That was definitely not mentioned at first.

bastage

I would rather die.
    HOW could he do such a savage thing?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast