1935 users online (332 members and 1603 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Herd of buffalo back home after roaming off range

This is practically my old back yard in my hometown. Check the photos. Stampede!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/tra...3131.story?col

By Anica Butler

Sun Staff

Originally published April 26, 2005, 11:05 PM EDT

Police dispatched more than a dozen cruisers and one helicopter. They shut down roads, and state highway workers closed a Beltway ramp.

All to round up a herd of American bison disrupting rush hour and roaming through the upscale neighborhoods of Baltimore County's Greenspring Valley.

Then -- with the nine beasts corralled within the fence of a condo complex's tennis court -- the real work began.

You try coaxing thousands of pounds of agitated animal brawn into a trailer.

"Hectic and smelly," said Larry Plimack, a property manager who joined with police to help capture the bison. It seemed that no one woke up Tuesday expecting to confront a challenge straight out of a Western movie.

The bison made their escape early Tuesday from a farm off Greenspring Valley Road.

Their owner, longtime demolition contractor Gerald "Buzz" Berg, said he was settling down to breakfast when a neighbor knocked on his door at 7 a.m. and told him the animals were on the loose. Berg said he has been raising the animals -- commonly, if not precisely, referred to by many as buffalo -- for about 10 years on his 40-acre farm, mainly for meat.

He said he wasn't sure how they got out.

Here's a better site w/ photos that don't need registration...

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4415797/detail.html

Maybe because it's "my land"...I just find it funny.

LOL ... I saw the pictures on Yahoo yesterday, the one of the bufallo leaping over the tennis net is just priceless!