993 users online (187 members and 806 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mail has the story plus pics and a video of attempts to save the woman who died at Tilly Whim sea caves, Purbeck, Dorset.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tiny-cave.html

• Victim, 30, was 'coasteering' with her brother - who was unhurt - at Tilly Whim caves, near Swanage, Dorset
    • Desperate rescuers spent two hours talking to woman through a blowhole - but could not reach her in time
    • Two lifeboat crews battled against force nine 50mph winds to try to get to the mouth of the cave yesterday
    • Coasteering is a sport involving free climbing up and along a rock face and jumping into the water to swim

Wind and coastal flood warning for Scotland and England
    Large swathes of the UK are braced for a storm bringing with it gale-force winds, possible travel disruption and the risk of some coastal flooding.

Worst hit will be Scotland, where 80mph winds are expected, and the north and east of England, BBC forecasters say.

Communities on England's east coast are being told to prepare for the most serious tidal surge for 30 years.

Most at risk is the North Sea coast from Northumberland to the Thames Estuary, the Environment Agency says.
    ---
    more at BBC link above

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    80 mile an hour winds in Scotland! The most serious storm surge in 30 years. Wow....hoping for the best for Scotland and England. Be careful my friends.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

UK and Ireland, Stormy Through Christmas. (accuweather.com)
    ---
    At least five more storms will impact the United Kingdom between now and Christmas, leading to travel headaches for many.

Tuesday night into Wednesday night, a pair of storm systems will blast Ireland and the United Kingdom with potentially damaging winds and heavy rainfall.

The worst of the storm will be Wednesday afternoon into Wednesday night as winds over 80 kph (50 mph) affect Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France.

The strongest wind gusts can reach 130 kph (80 mph) leading to the threat for widespread power outages, downed trees and even the potential for structure damage in northern Ireland and northern parts of the United Kingdom.
    more at the link

Forgive me all for this hopefully edifying and entertaining tangent. This is from James Joyce's Dubliners (from 'The Dead'), pertaining to weather in Ireland (gosh, I know that is unforgivably tangential, but it is a sort of weather report that I hope you will not hate me for posting):

"A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2814/2814-h/2814-h.htm

Crazy weather here in West Dorset, wild,wild winds, torrential rain. I was nearly airbourne at one point today. Now cosy in bed while the storm rages. Heaven knows how I will get to work at 0700 hrs, I have to travel cross country including driving through a ford.
    More details here
    England's dancing days are done...

Luckily I managed to do my travelling to see family on the dry days but the weather has been pretty rough since Christmas. Today has been nice but now the storm warnings are out again.
    Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

skibaboo is offline <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.
    It's been pretty wild the last couple of weeks although I think in the NE we have missed the worst. It's quite scary when it's really windy where we live, as we are quite high up (top floor flat) So I got myself worked up a bit too much over it before Christmas, and it didn't really materialise, not for us anyway. It's been horrible for a lot of places down south though, and parts of Ireland and Wales. These atlantic storms need to go away, I want some snow, and I haven't seen one single flake this winter.

Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

Today has been crazy, a spring tide and a storm surge pushing so much water inland.

And of course stupid people are out in force - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sea-front.html (the family will feature in many of tomorrow's papers)

There have been so many warnings to people to STAY AWAY; they don't just endanger themselves, they endanger our rescue services who will have to try and find them.

A reporter in one location -
    Last edited by KateB; 06-18-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    Justice for Jennifer

Justice for Jennifer

These horses are trying to swim for safety near Hurn airport, near Bournemouth/
    Dorset has been hit hard by these storms. Part of our Jurassic coastline has been changed forever. There are floods everywhere and no room for any more rain and still it pours, I can hear it now.

Lots of local stories here

I live in the middle of all the red bits on the current Met Office flood warning map above

Almost hurricane force winds here today, Any more rain and we will be in trouble. Both rivers in the village have burst their banks.
    Dog walking will be interesting today

Windy as buggery tonight, Raining cats and dogs too

Stay safe badhorsie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast