917 users online (171 members and 746 guests)  

Websleuths News

LA - Margaret Coon, 41, Mandeville, 19 Feb 1987

Very little media coverage for this cold case/murder of Margaret Coon former Assistant District Attorney.

Her body was discovered at about 5:30 a.m. February 19 in the 600 block of North Beau Chene Drive in exclusive Beau Chene subdivision near Mandeville. Her Afghan dog was found standing by her body when investigators and ambulance attendants arrived on the scene, authorities said. For a short period of time, the dog would not allow authorities to approach the body, deputies said. The dog, Canulette said, was seen by neighbors running around loose. Afghans are a large breed of dog, but the breed has a reputation as being docile and not a protective animal.

http://lebontempsroule.net/Fitzsimmo...%20Article.htm
    But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream! -Amos 5:24

Okay, I went to my local Mandeville Library today --- no news articles from 1980s kept at this parish location -- must go to Slidell to view micro film.
    So I decided to piece together a google map of the points of interest. Hope this links properly. What you should see is a current google map view of the following:
    Mandeville Murder - Margaret Coon
    Map shows location of Margaret's home address (123 Grand Cheniere in Beau Chene gated community and approximate location where her body was found on Friday morning Feb 20, 1987.

#1.
    123 Grand Cheniere
    Mandeville, LA 70471 Margaret's condo

#2.
    600 N Beau Chene Dr
    Mandeville, LA 70471 Margaret's body found

#3.
    10 Fontainbleau Dr
    Mandeville, LA 70471 Main entrance to Beau Chene Gated Golf Community

#4.
    105 Beau Chene Blvd
    Mandeville, LA 70471 -Beau Chene Gated Entrance from Hwy 22

#5.
    5297 Louisiana 22
    Mandeville, LA 70471 Marina entrance to Beau Chene (no gate/guard)

Just to give all an idea of where this crime occurred. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...03612,0.082655

I've also discovered that Margaret Coon was from Baton Rouge, LA but went to Bolton High School in Alexandria, LA. She graduated in 1963 and in addition to being in the National Honor's Society was voted "Girl with the Finest Character".
    But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream! -Amos 5:24

I remember the Margaret Coon murder pretty well, nola, and the rumors of a cover up (so what else is new). FWIW, here's an excerpt from a book written by a former St. Tammany Parish LEO who claims that he answered a call about an attempted robbery at the Beau Chene club house the evening that Coon was jogging, and presumably abducted. He says that he walked the wooded area looking for the would be robbers, and even passed the location the next morning, yet didn't observe a body.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vzc...murder&f=false
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Cool find, Bessie. I've lived in Mandeville since 2001 and only heard about this case a few years ago. I've never been able to find anything on-line except a local Madisonville man's blog. There was some talk (on Topix) that the FBI was looking into the case, but I've never seen anything else. This lady so deserves justice. And, not one photo of her (except her high school classmates.com ones) can I find.

I can't wait to read more from your link. (update: I read the LEO excerpts -- wow! never interviewed!!)

I had read about the security guard reporting a man with a knife earlier that night (and then the knife maybe wasn't a knife after-all), but LE didn't think he was connected to the murder since Margaret was seen 1.5 hours after the man ran away from the guard. I'm thinking that this could have been the guy lying in wait for his 'target' to jog by. She was found really not far from her condo in the 600 block of N Beau Chene -- that's just down the street (~1/2 mile) from the current club house -- I don't think it's changed locations, but I could be wrong. I have a friend who lived in Beau Chene at the time (I need to ask her about this); she has shared that the section where the condos are was mostly woods in the 80s. Margaret was known to jog both early morning and at night.

I can't reconcile why this has not been solved. Small community and a prominent member of the legal/social community. Margaret was a notable attorney with a great reputation for putting criminal behind bars, yet her murder goes unsolved for more than 20 years. She was married (either recently divorced from or in the process of divorcing) a former Mandeville mayor...Why so little media attention? There is one St Tammany Farmer's (weekly newspaper) article available on-line dated the Thursday following her murder - that's it. She was the first woman elected as president of the St Tammany Bar Association. She had worked as an assist DA for two DAs...<scratching head> Just can't figure this out. It wreaks of something...but what!!!???

The crime itself, (one knife wound nicking the bottom of her heart) has the appearance of a 'hit' to me. The attack didn't seem personal & no robbery; she was wearing 40K in jewelry. Most domestic crimes tend to be overkill -- this was violent (she was bruised and even had a broken rib), but just one kill stab to the heart.

Hope to find more at the Slidell Library...

ETA: update
    Last edited by nola; 11-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Wow thanks Nola for bringing this case here to WS. I was born and raised in Covington and at the time of this murder I was a freshmen in high school at SSA in Covington and some of my friends lived in Beau Chene and as a young kid we rode our bikes all over that place even before it was densely populated. Back in the day when Covington and Mandeville were still small communities I went to school with all the same kids from K to 12th grade. Even when this happened in 1987 it was still a small town but it was beginning to take off and after Hurricane Katrina I do not even recognize the place. I do not remember this case but in 1987 I did not follow crimes. I am amazed though that I never even heard of the case because I do remember cases that stood out even as a kid I never was in a complete bubble. Thanks again.

I found this article (Dallas Times) that references the serial killer Henry Lee Lucas' ties to three St Tammany murder cases from '82 and '83. It is specific about the cases and LEOs role in connecting Lucas to these crimes. This article is dated 1986 (one year before Margaret's murder) so I'm not certain if there were additional cases that the former St Tammany LEO book speaks about, or if these are the cases - Margaret Coon's murder is not part of this, as it had not yet occurred. Wonder if this author got this confused? hmmmm...
    *Both Lucas (and crime partner Ottis Toole) were arrested in 1983, so neither could have been Margaret's killer.

http://www.vicfeazell.com/html/Grand...ee%20Cases.PDF

This is a copy of a the 1991 St Tammany Framer's Letters to the Editor where three unsolved cases (Margaret Coon, Jerry Monus and Ann Manguno) are mentioned.
    http://www.sttammany.lib.la.us/cfdb/...es/6-27-91.pdf
    Last edited by nola; 11-08-2013 at 02:37 AM.