1368 users online (365 members and 1003 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Paralyzed deer hunter chooses to end life support

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...s_to_end_li-ap

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Tim Bowers got to decide for himself whether he wanted to live or die.

When the avid outdoorsman was badly hurt Saturday in a hunting accident, doctors said he would be paralyzed and could be on a ventilator for life. His family had a unique request: Could he be brought out of sedation to hear his prognosis and decide what he wanted to do?

Doctors said yes, and Bowers chose to take no extra measures to stay alive. He died Sunday, hours after his breathing tube was removed.........more at link.....

He was asked to decide on this the day after his accident. He just got married in Aug. and has a baby. I just feel he should have been given more time to think about this.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Good point, Reader. We'll never know whether the patient's decision was a knee-jerk reaction to a dreadful prognosis or his sincere, well-reasoned wish.

The article is so badly written. I hope they asked him more than "do you want this?", the answer to which is obviously no. That's not the same question as "do you prefer death to a ventilator?"

On another note, I hope he was well sedated after they took him off the ventilator. There's no need for him to suffer more than he already had.

I think it is wonderful that the family gave him the option to choose his fate. Many families would be too selfish and only think about their own wants and needs.

People should have the right to choose how they die. This man will now be remembered as the active healthy loving man that he was and his child will always remember his father like that.

Sad thing is this happened because he fell out of a deer stand, this is why hunters are supposed to wear harnesses! Most all fatal hunting "accidents" involve hunters falling out of their deer stands when they nod off.

What bothers me is that this man was brought out of sedation yet he was still under the effects of drugs when making his decision.

It bothered me because he might have been able to breath later on. They didn't totally know for sure, but knew he'd be a quadriplegic.

Reader thanks for the link

snipped from article.

Through it all, Shultz said, her brother never wavered in his decision to die.

"I just remember him saying so many times that he loved us all and that he lived a great life," she said. "At one point, he was saying, 'I'm ready. I'm ready.'"

I see him as being a very brave man.
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

Adios amego's

I have very mixed feelings on this. Years ago on one of those ER reality shows, they included the case of a man who had just been paralyzed in a surfing accident. I'll never forget the doctors saying that almost all patients immediately ask for euthanasia (as the patient in the show was doing) because they can't imagine living out their lives paralyzed but after they've had therapy and time to adjust, they begin to accept it. I understand it was a heartbreaking decision for everyone involved but I also can't help but feel it may have been made too soon.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

I too think it may have been made too soon.

I hope people realize that quadriplegics on ventilators have a fairly SHORT life expectancy with a whole lot of pain/suffering in that time. It isn't as if they can just learn to adjust and then they can see their grandkids one day.

I will assume this gentleman and his family knew more about the situation than we do and they made a sound decision.

For those SCI v-quad patients who survived the initial injury and began rehabilitation, 90% survived the first year while only 33% survived five years.

http://netbelieve.com/4quadlife/inde...d=52&Itemid=18

I feel badly for his family -- there may always be moments when they wonder if they made the right decision to bring him out of sedation and let him make this decision -- or whether he was not intellectually sound enough (due to the meds) to make this decision with a clear mind.

Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    What bothers me is that this man was brought out of sedation yet he was still under the effects of drugs when making his decision.
    It doesn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Reader thanks for the link

snipped from article.

Through it all, Shultz said, her brother never wavered in his decision to die.

"I just remember him saying so many times that he loved us all and that he lived a great life," she said. "At one point, he was saying, 'I'm ready. I'm ready.'"

I see him as being a very brave man.
    So do I. They simplify things for these articles. But the fact is, this was a decision this man had made long before. Prior to the accident, he had emphatically stated he would not want to live paralyzed, in a wheelchair. This was known to the medical team. And nothing indicates that this was some snap decision on the part of a confused man.

I see an entire medical team involved, a pregnant wife who has no reason to want her husband dead, and the man's brother and other relations and friends, all supporting his decision not to allow further, life saving measures.

IMO, everyone should be allowed to state whether advanced technology may be employed to continue their own life, or whether nature should be able to take its course.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Good point, Reader. We'll never know whether the patient's decision was a knee-jerk reaction to a dreadful prognosis or his sincere, well-reasoned wish.

The article is so badly written. I hope they asked him more than "do you want this?", the answer to which is obviously no. That's not the same question as "do you prefer death to a ventilator?"

On another note, I hope he was well sedated after they took him off the ventilator. There's no need for him to suffer more than he already had.
    We actually do know. He had been clear prior to the accident, that he would never want to live that way.
    Shultz said her family had an idea what her brother would want because he had previously talked with his wife, Abbey, whom he married Aug. 3, about never wanting to spend his life in a wheelchair.
    She knows that not everyone would make the same decision. But she's thankful her brother was able to choose for himself. http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...s_to_end_li-ap

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    I hope people realize that quadriplegics on ventilators have a fairly SHORT life expectancy with a whole lot of pain/suffering in that time. It isn't as if they can just learn to adjust and then they can see their grandkids one day.

I will assume this gentleman and his family knew more about the situation than we do and they made a sound decision.
    He had always said that he didn't want to be on life support or other extraordinary measures, this wasn't a spur of the moment thing. We don't know how long he was out of the pain meds before he made the decision and he lived for several hours; at any time he could have changed his mind.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Quote Originally Posted by gxm View Post
    I have very mixed feelings on this. Years ago on one of those ER reality shows, they included the case of a man who had just been paralyzed in a surfing accident. I'll never forget the doctors saying that almost all patients immediately ask for euthanasia (as the patient in the show was doing) because they can't imagine living out their lives paralyzed but after they've had therapy and time to adjust, they begin to accept it. I understand it was a heartbreaking decision for everyone involved but I also can't help but feel it may have been made too soon.
    Though his brain was not injured, his body was irreparably broken. Surgery could fuse the vertebrae, but that would only allow Bowers to sit up. He would never walk or hold his baby. He might live the rest of his life in a rehabilitation hospital, relying on a machine to help him breathe.
    Shultz, an intensive care nurse in Las Vegas, has seen it happen in her job. But her medical training also meant she understood the severity of her brother's injuries. His C3, C4 and C5 vertebrae were crushed.http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...s_to_end_li-ap
    75 people -family and friends- were in the hospital with him when he died. His pregnant wife, his intensive care nurse sister, etc. I think those who knew him best would know if this decision was made too soon. And since he apparently made his wishes known long before the accident, I have no problem with this.

When I started cancer treatment, I was given an Advance Directive to sign, if I chose to do so. Even if one didn't exist here, it was well known what his wishes were.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast