$118,000.00

Anyhoo

Former Member
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of previous discussion about the ransom note amount, but I have been thinking about that more and it just appears to me as extremely odd. Most people think PR authored the ransom note as a staging/cover story, but assuming she did, why would she choose that number? Yes, I know the theories about JR's bonus, the bible verse, etc, but think about this: If I want to create a realistic ransom note, I am going to choose a realistic ransom amount. Anyone who was seriously trying to deceive LE would. PR knew what was a realistic ransom amount. She knew that her husband was a wealthy successful businessman. She knew from watching movies, television shows, and probably reading books what a realistic ransom amount was. A million dollars would be realistic. If I were trying to fool police, I would choose a million or at least 500,000. But the writer of the RN did not. Instead they chose a very unrealistic number, an extremely low figure for someone like JR to pay. Now consider why. If PR, why would she do that? It makes no sense unless the amount was chosen deliberately as a clue. That is the way I see it, as a deliberate anomaly meant to point to somewhere. There is absolutely no logical reason for PR to have chosen that number that only draws more suspicion onto the Ramsey's, not less. My point is, whoever wrote the RN filled it with clues purposely. This is no simple deception as many people interpret it to be. Had the sole purpose of the RN been to deceive police into believing a mysterious group had abdicated JB, it would have been done differently. My contention is the RN was never intended to be a real ransom note but just appeared to be. I know this won't change any minds for those who are already convinced of PR guilt but just consider the possibility that she did not write it but someone else, someone very clever and wanting to cast suspicion on the Ramsey's did. Just consider it.

I know there has been a lot of previous discussion about the ransom note amount, but I have been thinking about that more and it just appears to me as extremely odd. Most people think PR authored the ransom note as a staging/cover story, but assuming she did, why would she choose that number? Yes, I know the theories about JR's bonus, the bible verse, etc, but think about this: If I want to create a realistic ransom note, I am going to choose a realistic ransom amount. Anyone who was seriously trying to deceive LE would. PR knew what was a realistic ransom amount. She knew that her husband was a wealthy successful businessman. She knew from watching movies, television shows, and probably reading books what a realistic ransom amount was. A million dollars would be realistic. If I were trying to fool police, I would choose a million or at least 500,000. But the writer of the RN did not. Instead they chose a very unrealistic number, an extremely low figure for someone like JR to pay. Now consider why. If PR, why would she do that? It makes no sense unless the amount was chosen deliberately as a clue. That is the way I see it, as a deliberate anomaly meant to point to somewhere. There is absolutely no logical reason for PR to have chosen that number that only draws more suspicion onto the Ramsey's, not less. My point is, whoever wrote the RN filled it with clues purposely. This is no simple deception as many people interpret it to be. Had the sole purpose of the RN been to deceive police into believing a mysterious group had abdicated JB, it would have been done differently. My contention is the RN was never intended to be a real ransom note but just appeared to be. I know this won't change any minds for those who are already convinced of PR guilt but just consider the possibility that she did not write it but someone else, someone very clever and wanting to cast suspicion on the Ramsey's did. Just consider it.

Okay, who do you think wrote it?

Maybe it was written by someone wanting the finger to be pointed at PR - someone who had heard the bonus amount and to them it was a large amount. Who is smart enough to do just that?

OR

the note was staged just the way you described to point the finger away from the RDI as they would place a higher dollar amount in the RN.

I can’t make up my mind, just yet. I need to read Kolar’s book and see if that sways me one way or another.

MOO

I say someone drinking or taking pills while writing the ransom note in the 4 hours or so they had after JonBenet was strangled. Probably to make it look as if the family had been monitored before the kidnapping. The " kidnappers" respected John and his company but not the country that they serve. Protect the company and company money.

I think this amount was used because this number was so fixated in the author's head, that she didn't realize how goofy it would sound to outsiders. And like the above post, I believe the author might have been a little under the influence. IMO, the author was consumed with wanting that particular amount. After this happened, there was some real speculation that maybe JR had double crossed somebody at work or somebody felt slighted about JR getting such a big bonus, while he got the shaft, etc. Maybe that speculation was half true, but maybe the person who felt double crossed was a little closer to home. If money, specifically this bonus, and getting double crossed could be seen as motive from a co worker, then IMO, it should be considered as motive from elsewhere. just a theory, but I feel strongly that PR wrote the note. moo

I actually think that the number was a brilliant one for PR to use in the note. By using that amount, they could easily cast suspicion (which they did) on someone close to them and/or associated with John's business. The number was NO coincidence and I think in PR's mind, using it was actually casting suspicion AWAY from them.

The whole ransom note is an attempt to place blame for JBR"s murder on a small group of foreign terrorists. moo jmo Hence the $118,000 bonus amount. It is an attempt to get people to think that a small group of foreign terrorists had researched JR's business dealings,and found his business practices to be unfair. Much of the hardware and chips for IT businesses are made in places like the Philliipines, Indonesia, and India. The dollar amount is likely an attempt to show the huge gap between JR's bonus amount, and the wages of people who make the products used for his multi- million dollar business. moo jmo

It is hokey in the extreme. But, the authors of the note, probably JR and PR, were probably tripping,desperate, and not in a position to come up with any better ideas...jmo and moo

Personally, I think numerous clues, including the ransom amount, were left to lead LE in many different directions which would result in no charges being filed against anyone and I think that was done with that exact purpose in mind.

And as sad as it is to say, it worked. So while some may say this or that staged evidence was dumb to leave, I have to disagree. As a whole, it was all smart because together, it all achieved the desired result with perfection.

Personally, I think numerous clues, including the ransom amount, were left to lead LE in many different directions which would result in no charges being filed against anyone and I think that was done with that exact purpose in mind.

And as sad as it is to say, it worked. So while some may say this or that staged evidence was dumb to leave, I have to disagree. As a whole, it was all smart because together, it all achieved the desired result with perfection.

That is exactly what I think too. The note mentioned an SFF to throw blame in the area of foreign business rivals or adversaries, asks for an amount exactly the same as JR's bonus that year to throw blame at a disgruntled employee (one of the first people they gave to LE was J. Merrick, a former employee), used familiar terms and language consistent with a friend or someone who knew him well, and JR himself hinted at an "inside job" and one of the first names given was the housekeeper LHP.

Someone praying to get well, who especially liked Psalm 118 might have connected getting well with the thriving company and John's bonus amount before the death ever took place. Thinking it was miraculous and a sign, maybe? Sorry to not really be able to consider an outside person.

Suppose that JR didn't tell PR how much his bonus was, and that she found out. We all know she spent an enormous amount of money, and maybe he had told her he felt she should curb the spending. The RN could be her way of telling JR that she knew about the bonus, and the amount.
I really think PR was the author of that note, and had no input from JR. The anger of having JR not tell her how much the bonus was, may have been brewing for a while. On top of that, whatever happened, she may have caused the head injury, or, if it's was BR, she would insist that they do the staging, and protect him from any repercussions.
That RN was definitely written by a very dramatic person, and that's why it was so long. She simply got carried away with the content of her dramatic dialogue.

I always thought the RN was authored by PR alone and contains clues meant for JR,not the police....

Someone praying to get well, who especially liked Psalm 118 might have connected getting well with the thriving company and John's bonus amount before the death ever took place. Thinking it was miraculous and a sign, maybe? Sorry to not really be able to consider an outside person.
I watched an old Larry King interview and noticed something interesting. It was JR, not PR, who came across as the more religious. It's moo that where as certain people find comfort in religion, other types of people use religion as something to hide behind and as a buffer. IDK what this means exactly, but if a person did something terrible for instance, he might try to find a way to use religion as justification for certain actions? For instance, JR was the one who corrected Steve Thomas about the need for confession before forgiveness. Confession is one of those things that's left up to interpretation, and I found it interesting, (but not surprising), that JR believed it isn't necessary. And not only did he believe this, but he felt the need to correct ST...when he could have easily let the statement slide. A lot of people think JR based these views on his defense of PR, but I'm thinking it may have been more about him defending himself... Because just about everything else he did, was about JR...hiring his own lawyer, hiring lawyers for his ex wife and kids, vehemently denying any prior abuse, throwing his friends and coworkers under the bus, etc. I've read a lot about JR's cut throat, underhanded business tactics, and it's hard for me to reconcile that person with the JR he presents to the public. IMO, an underhanded person is an underhanded person. They don't have dual personalities that they can turn on and off at will. Anyway, on the one hand, JR presents himself as a long suffering victim who relies on faith, but on the other hand, he stays lawyered up, threatens to sue, still throws suspicion at FW. IMO, especially after thinking about him hiding that bonus from his wife, I don't think the JR he presents to the public, is the real JR. PR could say she didn't worry her pretty little head with money matters, but I'm not buying it. moo

Suppose that JR didn't tell PR how much his bonus was, and that she found out. We all know she spent an enormous amount of money, and maybe he had told her he felt she should curb the spending. The RN could be her way of telling JR that she knew about the bonus, and the amount.I really think PR was the author of that note, and had no input from JR. The anger of having JR not tell her how much the bonus was, may have been brewing for a while. On top of that, whatever happened, she may have caused the head injury, or, if it's was BR, she would insist that they do the staging, and protect him from any repercussions.
That RN was definitely written by a very dramatic person, and that's why it was so long. She simply got carried away with the content of her dramatic dialogue.

Maybe the whole thing was a "two-fer" for PR---- the bonus money was a source of contention for PR and she wanted to let JR know that she was aware of it from Papa ***as well as*** she also knew about the sexual abuse JR was performing on JBR as well in his sick games?

For PR maybe money (or the lack of control of it; as expressed in the bonus language of the note and the sarcasm expressed toward JR) and the sexual abuse scenario (which PR was suspicious and somewhat aware of) created a burning volcano inside of her? Maybe PR erupted and the note and murder were her final eruption that Christmas?

Maybe the whole thing was a "two-fer" for PR---- the bonus money was a source of contention for PR and she wanted to let JR know that she was aware of it from Papa ***as well as*** she also knew about the sexual abuse JR was performing on JBR as well in his sick games?

For PR maybe money (or the lack of control of it; as expressed in the bonus language of the note and the sarcasm expressed toward JR) and the sexual abuse scenario (which PR was suspicious and somewhat aware of) created a burning volcano inside of her? Maybe PR erupted and the note and murder were her final eruption that Christmas?
If there was sexual abuse, it's moo that PR was more than somewhat aware of it...hence the 'corporal cleaning', and reported douches. Unless she was just a crazy, sadistic person, something was going on that made her think her daughter needed such drastic cleansing. Also IMO, I think her telling her friends about the douches and her taking JB to the dr a dozen times a year for 3 years, (JR's words), was PR dropping hints, maybe trying to get someone to intervene. IMO, these are the actions of a desperate mother. Then add the sexualizing of JB, her wetting and soiling issues, the school nurse visits, her clinging to her mother. Here's a thought about the sexualizing of JB...JR has tried to distance himself from the pageants and treat them like a mother/daughter hobby, but the way JR was with money, I don't think so. If he didn't approve of the pageants and clothes and pictures, he wouldn't have paid for them. moo

Speaking of JR and underhanded, here's another example. In the LK interview, he used all of JB's dr visits and the dr himself, as proof that there was no prior abuse. But, he had those same medical records sealed from investigators. Why was he so willing to talk about what was in those records, but unwilling to back up what he said with proof? It was one of those things that JR manipulated into being unchallengable. IMO, if he wouldn't let investigators have access to the medical records, then there should have been a gag order all around, and NO one should have been allowed to discuss them. Very unfair and extremely self serving.

If there was sexual abuse, it's moo that PR was more than somewhat aware of it...hence the 'corporal cleaning', and reported douches. Unless she was just a crazy, sadistic person, something was going on that made her think her daughter needed such drastic cleansing. Also IMO, I think her telling her friends about the douches and her taking JB to the dr a dozen times a year for 3 years, (JR's words), was PR dropping hints, maybe trying to get someone to intervene. IMO, these are the actions of a desperate mother. Then add the sexualizing of JB, her wetting and soiling issues, the school nurse visits, her clinging to her mother. Here's a thought about the sexualizing of JB...JR has tried to distance himself from the pageants and treat them like a mother/daughter hobby, but the way JR was with money, I don't think so. If he didn't approve of the pageants and clothes and pictures, he wouldn't have paid for them. moo

It isn't speculation that there was sexual abuse. It is FACT. Blood, bruising and hymenal erosion do not belong in the vagina of a 6-year old girl- they are not naturally occurring.
JB pooped her pants frequently- that was allegedly why Patsy used to douche her. The "Monday morning" school nurse visits have always been a red flag to me. And even more so- the school's refusal to provide the records of those visits. One of their little students is sexually abused and murdered and yet instead of trying to HELP police solve the crime they tried to block access to her records from the very people trying to solve the crime. The ONLY reason is that they did not want it solved. They knew there was something in those records that would incriminate someone in the family. The same can be said of the pediatrician's records and the R request for the "island of privacy" around BOTH kids' medical records. There is simply no good (or innocent) reason why.

It very possibly could be an ingenious plan. But I get the impression it was a horrible improvised coverup that only worked because they got very lucky. If they had gotten a police officer with experience in kidnappings and murders and who had close associates in the FBI, the coverup could have failed completely.

Suppose that JR didn't tell PR how much his bonus was, and that she found out. We all know she spent an enormous amount of money, and maybe he had told her he felt she should curb the spending. The RN could be her way of telling JR that she knew about the bonus, and the amount.
I really think PR was the author of that note, and had no input from JR. The anger of having JR not tell her how much the bonus was, may have been brewing for a while. On top of that, whatever happened, she may have caused the head injury, or, if it's was BR, she would insist that they do the staging, and protect him from any repercussions.

Unless PR was psychotic, I don't buy it. If a person is desperate enough to create the RN in the first place, they are not going to play games like this. They are going to make a convincing, realistic RN. PR did not seem phychotic to me. Emotionally unstable maybe, but not to the degree you are suggesting. It's so convenient to try to explain this away, but it still makes no sense whatsoever no matter how you try to slice it. While I freely admit that everything points to PR as having created the RN, there are troubling anomalies like this that make me really want to question that. I have ALWAYS thought there is more to this crime than is apparent and I still strongly believe that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back