Fatal crash mystery: family seeks answers

tarabull

Life is a puzzle.
Reaction score
November 8, 2013

Nearly two months after officers knocked on their door to tell them their son was dead, an Alberta family is still searching for answers.

...“I want to know what happened, what my son went through the last two hours of his life – I know he went through hell.”

...RCMP say they don’t believe the circumstances are suspicious.

Police say Perry was the only one in the vehicle and didn’t know the owner of the car. The fob needed to start the car was never found at the scene or on Dylan Perry.

Read more here: http://globalnews.ca/news/955636/family-believes-mystery-still-surrounds-fatal-high-speed-crash/

[video at link]

Can someone from Canada please translate "the fob needed to start the car". Is that another word for "key"?

So no key being found means someone hot wired the vehicle?

I am sure these parents are just devastated. But we have seen SO many cases of people doing "out of character" things when under the influence. And in some cases even when not under the influence of anything.

But with this young man as driver and no one else in a car that had been stolen, and no key in it, I can see why police don't find it to be "suspicious".

Googling and finding Freight on Board as the only answer. Need to google more deeply! Fresh off the Boat, Free on Board, Federal Office Building.

Some newer car are started by an electronic fob similar to the ones in the above link. No key is needed.

I think a Prius is one of them. Sure there are more.

I have a 2012 Lexus. It is keyless. The FOB needs to be in the car for it to start, but after it is running the FOB could "leave" the vehicle and it continues to run until its turned off. One time I used Valet parking. The valet had my FOB, started the car, and brought it around to me. He put it in park, I got in, put it in drive and took off, then realized several miles down the road that the valet guy still had my FOB. So....it may be possible that someone with the 'FOB" was there when the car was started, but left the car. As long as the car is not turned off it will run just fine without the FOB.

I have a 2012 Lexus. It is keyless. The FOB needs to be in the car for it to start, but after it is running the FOB could "leave" the vehicle and it continues to run until its turned off. One time I used Valet parking. The valet had my FOB, started the car, and brought it around to me. He put it in park, I got in, put it in drive and took off, then realized several miles down the road that the valet guy still had my FOB. So....it may be possible that someone with the 'FOB" was there when the car was started, but left the car. As long as the car is not turned off it will run just fine without the FOB.

Wow! We have a FOB for our newest car... And I didn't realize that the car could still "run" if/when the FOB was pulled out!

I wonder why the mechanics/electrical/computer programming was set up this way? There must be a reason... But I sure can't think of one off the top of my head...

However... With that said...

question #1...I am wondering if this young man got a "lift" with a stranger...(or maybe the person wasn't a stranger..:dunno:)..... After a night having some drinks with friends...

Question #2...Could the driver have crashed the car... But was able to escape(taking the FOB with him/her) ... Leaving this poor young man to die... Or dead... Alone...?

Question #3...where inside the car was he found? Was he behind the steering wheel.... Or was he flown around inside the car?

Question #4.....When, where, and why did he and his friends get separated that night?

(sorry if some of these phrases are graphic... I tried to keep them the least offensive that I could...)

JMO

It sounds to me like he was drunk after leaving the bar, found a fob for another car, and decided to take it for a joyride. I feel bad for his parents, but it seems like they are in denial that a bad decision on their son's part cost him his life.

Can some cars be started from an app. on a phone? I remember seeing a commercial were the family flying in from a beach vacation is landing into a snowy airport and started the car and heater while landing.Maybe the owner stated the car and unlocked it prior to leaving the bar and this kid got in a drove off.

So strange that he didn't know the owner of the vehicle. More questions than answers.

Well, he came in a cab but was only blocks from his apartment according to the links above. I think the car started as he was walking by and he made a bad decision while drunk, unfortunately.

Some newer car are started by an electronic fob similar to the ones in the above link. No key is needed.

I think a Prius is one of them. Sure there are more.

Yes, my friend's Prius employs a fob. (And fob is the word, as in an old pocket watch. It isn't an anagram for anything.)

You leave it in your pocket with your change and if it is in the vicinity, the car starts with a simple push of the "START" button. (There may be fobs that start a car remotely, but I haven't seen them. My own fob merely unlocks the doors of the car.)

The term has nothing to do with being Canadian, except that most people there speak English.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back