GUILTY UT - Michele MacNeill, 50, found dead in bathtub, Pleasant Grove, 11 April 2007 - #9

Continue discussion here:

10-4-2010-012-e1286323325319.jpg
link
1246453810236.jpg
link

getty_rm_photo_of_pumpkin_coffee.jpg
link

Thank you Harmony! Think I'll have some of the donut holes and coffee, virtually. So pretty and creative!

Working on reading the affadavit... Good
thing there is coffee and plenty of snacks.
Gonna need the sugar rush !

Just getting getting up to speed here. Family member health issue so was caught up. I luv luv luv these Jurors. They restore my faith in the system!!!! It's nice to see common sense still exists. They are truly a fine example. Sending them all cyberhugs.

Yes Thank You Harmony for the wonderful brecky. Between that and much much coffee I should be pinging off the walls. Soon :floorlaugh:

Last two paragraphs from here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ntial-evidence-added-up-to-murder.html?pg=all

<<<<Afterward, jurors met with prosecutors, the MacNeill daughters and others from Michele’s families. Too awake to sleep, when Lewis finally got home at 2:30 a.m., he spoke briefly to a friend and then got online to pour through news coverage from the trial — something jurors weren’t allowed to do over the past month.

“It solidified that Martin had questionable character,” Lewis said. “In that respect, I’m that much more confident that he could have done it.”>>>>

b/ubm
Yikes. This is why I wish jurors didn't speak publicly. Just talk to the prosecutors and victims family so their words don't come back to haunt them.

Hope that one juror just didn't say things quite right. That he went home after verdict, looked things up, saw info that made MM's "character" look bad, and that made the juror think, yes, "he could have done it." Eek!

Shouldn't that have been more like," I knew he did it but he's even worse than I thought...". ??

I'm convinced the jury got it right, but not everything I'm hearing about their reasoning is very reassuring. Assessing character has nothing to do with weighing evidence, and at least in the write ups, jurors seem to be using a lot of emotional language to explain their verdict. Am I missing the part where they discuss the 911 call? Evidence that MM did not do CPR? Dilution of meds found in system due to drowning? Position of Michelle in tub? Ie, objective evidence, even if circumstantial.

Last two paragraphs from here: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ntial-evidence-added-up-to-murder.html?pg=all

<<<<Afterward, jurors met with prosecutors, the MacNeill daughters and others from Michele&#8217;s families. Too awake to sleep, when Lewis finally got home at 2:30 a.m., he spoke briefly to a friend and then got online to pour through news coverage from the trial &#8212; something jurors weren&#8217;t allowed to do over the past month.

&#8220;It solidified that Martin had questionable character,&#8221; Lewis said. &#8220;In that respect, I&#8217;m that much more confident that he could have done it.&#8221;>>>>

b/ubm
Yikes. This is why I wish jurors didn't speak publicly. Just talk to the prosecutors and victims family so their words don't come back to haunt them.

We posted at the same time. Glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by that juror's reply.

Hope that one juror just didn't say things quite right. That he went home after verdict, looked things up, saw info that made MM's "character" look bad, and that made the juror think, yes, "he could have done it." Eek!

Shouldn't that have been more like," I knew he did it but he's even worse than I thought...". ??

I'm convinced the jury got it right, but not everything I'm hearing about their reasoning is very reassuring. Assessing character has nothing to do with weighing evidence, and at least in the write ups, jurors seem to be using a lot of emotional language to explain their verdict. Am I missing the part where they discuss the 911 call? Evidence that MM did not do CPR? Dilution of meds found in system due to drowning? Position of Michelle in tub? Ie, objective evidence, even if circumstantial.

I think they got it right too. Just worries me a little what they're saying. Not sure if something a juror has said post-verdict has ever caused anything to happen, but why give the defense team anything to talk about and point out?

If I'm ever on a high-profile case, I'm keeping my yap shut. No interviews. No book. No nothing. Maybe a thank you to the prosecution team and a hug for the victims family and then I'll be over and out.

I think that is just his way of speech, a turn of phrase. The interviews were talking about how they were thinking through the process. There are, I think, 7 google news articles, be sure to watch the videos too, so you get a feel for the character, how and when the phrase was used, and his personal ways of expression. Let's not get excited about a typed sentence, and look at the whole.

Did anyone happen to catch Spencer's blurb at the end of Nightline the other night? He said Martin told him it was okay about the daughters going after him because "if" they were so sure he had done it, he would expect that they would advocate for their mom, and something along the lines that it would be the right thing to do!

Spencer says this with a "whatta great guy" sense of awe. GMAB! He has no idea that MM kicked the girls out, disinherited them, threatened them and put them in fear for their lives for doing so?

That's almost as rich as Gypsy telling reporters her only experience with the law was traffic tickets, after she'd been convicted of fraud.

Yeah, Spencer's a piece of work, isn't he? Of course we can't expect him to admit what a his client really is but I won't miss the voice or smiling.

I just flipped thru HLN and heard starting Monday viewers can vote on facebook to pick the music played on the show??? Is this part of their new programming? :rolleyes:

LOL @ Eddie Freaking Haskell! Definitely!

That letter is quite the load from quite the Eddie! :p

My favorite is the part about how Gypsy MUST love her mother, because she gave her her most prized possession, her daughter.

Gag. What a load of pretentious, revisionist-history BS. I bet Gypsy's mother laughed when she saw that.

What a benevolent choice it was for Gypsy to give up her daughter! I'm sure she SO wanted to keep her for herself! But she decided to give her as a gift to her mother. To quote Randy Ichabod Spencer, "That's what you're saying, right?"

Or, the other way you could look at it is, I don't know - maybe she saw her daughter as an unwanted piece of garbage, and her mother was kind, compassionate, and responsible enough to know that this poor baby deserved something more than Gypsy. Now, Gypsy gets to live this life that is free from the anchor of a child, while her mother "gets" to be a mother again in her sixties. Gypsy's daughter "gets" to go through her teen years with a primary caregiver that is approaching 80. All the while, Gypsy gets to play the seductress Bathsheba in her creepy fantasy reenactments.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back