FBI: Debra Feldman possible Keyes victim

Herding Cats

Reaction score
This is interesting...story released on 11/13m- two days ago.

"Keyes admitted to investigators that he abducted a female victim on April 9, 2009 from a state on the East Coast and transported her across multiple state lines into New York, the FBI said in a statement today. Keyes said he murdered the woman and buried her in the Tupper Lake area of upstate New York.

Today, the FBI said they believe that woman may be Feldman, a 48-year-old woman who was last seen on April 8, 2009."

More, plus video, at link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/serial-killer-israel-keyes-victims-include-missing-jersey/story?id=20878542

Best-
Herding Cats

'Well duh'.. So the FBI has known this info for more than a year? What else are they not telling the American public?

Missing Hackensack woman's photo caught serial killer Israel Keyes' eye, investigators say

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2013

When investigators in Alaska showed pictures of missing people from around the country to Israel Keyes last year, the serial killer paused when he saw a photo of Hackensack resident Debra Feldman, who disappeared in April 2009.

Investigators believe confessed serial killer Israel Keyes was behind Feldman's disappearance. He committed suicide in jail last year while awaiting trial for the murder of an Alaska woman.

“He looked for a long period of time and then he made the comment that he wasn’t ready to talk about her yet,” FBI Special Agent Barbara Woodruff said Thursday.

It was only then that federal investigators believed Feldman, 48, was the female victim that Keyes previously told authorities he had abducted from an East Coast state on April 9, 2009, killed in upstate New York and buried in a lake community.

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/hackensa...gators_say.html?page=all#sthash.916zXzKy.dpuf

This is interesting...story released on 11/13m- two days ago.

"Keyes admitted to investigators that he abducted a female victim on April 9, 2009 from a state on the East Coast and transported her across multiple state lines into New York, the FBI said in a statement today. Keyes said he murdered the woman and buried her in the Tupper Lake area of upstate New York.

Today, the FBI said they believe that woman may be Feldman, a 48-year-old woman who was last seen on April 8, 2009."

More, plus video, at link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/serial-killer-israel-keyes-victims-include-missing-jersey/story?id=20878542

Best-
Herding Cats

My bold...

This caught my attention bc it doesn't make sense. Why would he say he transported her across multiple state lines? She was from Hackensack. He only had to cross 1 state line - NY. My son goes to the Adirondacks every summer for a week long running camp. They run the trails. They only cross out of NJ into NY, no other states. Anyway, it takes about 6 hours to get there from here, so it probably would only take about 5 hours to get there from Hackensack. So if Israel really did kill Debra, why would he say he crossed multiple state lines with her? I mean, one could cross into NY, CT, MA then back into NY...but why?

If Israel Keyes is responsible for Debra Feldman's death, then maybe she wasn't dead before he drove her to upstate NY. He had caches all over. So if considering that, maybe he hid a cache in CT, then went into MA just via a major hwy & then northwest to upstate NY.

Thank you to whomever added Debra Feldman's name to the title. :blowkiss:

Yes, thanks for adding Debra's name. I am sorry I omitted that part.

Seems to me he liked to take road trips...I wouldn't put it past him to have driven through many state lines (east, south, north) before going to NY. Part of his MO is to drive a lot, and we don't know if that mileage was before or after taking someone, or before or after killing someone (although I don't think that he'd be so...brazen?...as to drive around with a dead person in a rental car...).

RIP, Debra...I'm sorry you met this monster. I'm sorry you left this life with his face the last thing you saw. But dance free in Heaven, and send us more clues so we can gather all his victims and give them a proper burial.

Best-
Herding Cats

My bold...

This caught my attention bc it doesn't make sense. Why would he say he transported her across multiple state lines? She was from Hackensack. He only had to cross 1 state line - NY. My son goes to the Adirondacks every summer for a week long running camp. They run the trails. They only cross out of NJ into NY, no other states. Anyway, it takes about 6 hours to get there from here, so it probably would only take about 5 hours to get there from Hackensack. So if Israel really did kill Debra, why would he say he crossed multiple state lines with her? I mean, one could cross into NY, CT, MA then back into NY...but why?

I wondered about this too, but what if he needed to go back up towards VT back to Essex for some reason. It is only 5 hours from the hotel to Hackensack, NJ about 288 miles according to Google Maps. She is the only one I can find that went missing around April 9th 2009.

I wondered about this too, but what if he needed to go back up towards VT back to Essex for some reason. It is only 5 hours from the hotel to Hackensack, NJ about 288 miles according to Google Maps. She is the only one I can find that went missing around April 9th 2009.

It seems to me that there was plenty of time to travel into several states, considering how many are near NY & NJ. To cross over a state line, like VT or CT back might only add an hour or two to the trip.

If he did abduct Feldman, I would guess he killed her almost immediately and put her in the trunk of the Hyundai. It would have been too risky to have her alive in the congested traffic of the NE. So, he drove around a bit trying to decide what to do with the body.

Just looking at the miles likely traveled, it appears that Debra being a victim seems very possible. Just looking at the timeline, IK would have probably traveled in his rental car from Manchester to Essex, VT (162 miles). He then could have traveled to Hackensack (288 miles). From Hackensack to Tupper Lake (281 miles) and after robbing the bank in Tupper Lake he would probably have driven back to his hotel in Essex (98 miles). Lastly, another 162 miles from Essex back to Manchester for the return flight. This all totals 991 miles. He put 1,047 miles on the rental car, so that leaves a few miles that he may have driven around in the Tupper Lake region, or possibly just taken a more indirect route at one point or another. There is no way to know exactly what routes were taken but it appears that it would be somewhere around 1,000 miles to connect the dots of Manchester, Hackensack, VT and Tupper Lake. These distances seem to support the possibility of Debra being a victim.

Wow, that definitely sounds feasible. IK has always fascinated me and I feel that he could be one of the most prolific SK's in history, but unfortunately took this information with him to the grave. Hackensack was where I was born, and I do not live too far from there now; crazy to think that he very likely was right near me.

Debra's NAMUS profile is still active. However, the final page of Maureen Callahan's book American Predator claims (on page 285) that her body was recovered in New York. Specifically, she says:

"So far, the FBI is comfortable naming only Debra Feldman, whose body was recovered in New York, as another victim of Keyes."

Here is the same claim in a MSM article that reviews that book and interviews Callahan - link

"Debra Feldman, whose body was recovered in New York, are the only victims of Keyes whose names are known."

I have not seen the FBI mention her body being actually recovered. Although from the sounds of things, they are keeping very tight lipped about a lot of the developments in this case. I decided to post this here instead of on Debra's WS thread because I was uncertain about the information. I have only been able to find this information coming from Callahan, although I do trust Callahan as a source. But I have not seen anything about this elsewhere, let alone from the FBI (and her NAMUS page is up still). Maybe Callahan's wires got crossed about the actual recovery of Debra, because the FBI had mentioned her publicly in relation to the case maybe Callahan just assumed? I mean, she does not strike me as the kind of person who states things without fact checking them but we all have blind spots. Mistakes do happen, for example, in the book Callahan gives the date Debra was last seen as April 8, 2008 when it was in fact April 8, 2009.

Anyone know anything more about this? :)

Reactions: dub
I sure don't, good call. I read the book but I don't remember reading that.

I liked the book but there were a few details in there that went completely against my understanding, and it's hard to say if they were just mistakes or what.

Like Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden being shot with a 22--I was 100% sure they were shot with a 9mm handgun (due to following their case closely when it happened, as I lived in Seattle at the time), and I haven't been able to find a source anywhere that states either one.

As with literally everything related to Keyes, it's really frustrating.

I sure don't, good call. I read the book but I don't remember reading that.

I liked the book but there were a few details in there that went completely against my understanding, and it's hard to say if they were just mistakes or what.

Full disclosure, I do not own a copy of the book. Memory serving correctly (and mine normally doesn't) I do not think Debra was discussed in the main, narrative part of the book very much, because of how the narrative sort of followed the investigation/s etc. The quote from above is the only sentence in the very last paragraph of the "A Note on Source Materials" section at the end of the book.

I believe Josh Hallmark from True Crime Bullsh** podcast also checked records of the marathon that Callahan claims happened on the day that Gilbert Gilman disappeared (therefore ruling Keyes out as a possible suspect) and found that the marathon had actually taken place around 8 days earlier than Callahan seemed to think. I bring this up only to reiterate that there were a lot of facts and paperwork and details to keep track of in this case for Callahan, and it would not be surprising if she was mistaken about some things. But this one seems like such a big piece of information that it is hard to write it off as a mistake or an incorrect assumption on Callahan's part.

Anyone with a copy of the book able to check if there is anything about this in the main part of the book? :) I think Debra doesn't come up until pretty late in the book.

I have an e-book so very easy for me to check via search. Your memory is on point, Debra Feldman is only mentioned once in the main narrative and it is indeed very close to the end of the book.

I have an e-book so very easy for me to check via search. Your memory is on point, Debra Feldman is only mentioned once in the main narrative and it is indeed very close to the end of the book.

Thank you very much Dub! I'm glad it was easy too, I felt bad about asking others to look it up instead of buying a copy for myself and looking it up.

It seems to me that there was plenty of time to travel into several states, considering how many are near NY & NJ. To cross over a state line, like VT or CT back might only add an hour or two to the trip.

If he did abduct Feldman, I would guess he killed her almost immediately and put her in the trunk of the Hyundai. It would have been too risky to have her alive in the congested traffic of the NE. So, he drove around a bit trying to decide what to do with the body.

Hackensack is kind of on the edge of the densely-populated part of northern NJ. Once he got into NY he could've taken a lot of back roads to get to the Tupper area.

I also believe she was most likely deceased soon after they met.

-FD

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suvendudash