1212 users online (274 members and 938 guests)  

Websleuths News

Post Woman gets $3,500 fine and bad credit score for writing negative review of business

In 2009, Jen Palmerís husband bought her some Christmas gifts from KlearGear.com. When the merchandise still hadnít arrived a month later, PayPal closed the transaction and refunded her money.
    Palmer tried to contact the company to inquire about the order, but couldn't get in touch with anyone. Frustrated, she wrote a critical review of the company on RipoffReport.com and moved on.
    But as KUTV reports, KlearGear.com resurfaced three years later and has turned Palmerís life upside down, slapping her with a $3,500 fine and reporting her to the nationís three major credit agencies.
    "This is fraud," Palmer told the station. "They're blackmailing us for telling the truth."
    Hereís what happened. Tucked away in the agreement language almost no one ever reads, was a clause stating that anyone who buys something from the website agrees to never publicly criticize the website.
    more at link: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-gets--3-...233833012.html
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

That stinks!

How can that language be legal in the 'terms'?
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

This is why I don't do PayPal. Google the nightmares people have had with them.

It looks like Paypal did the right thing and refunded their money. It sounds like the website they purchased from is where the fine print came into play.
    The best advice I give to my children: Tell the truth - whether you like it or not.

I don't see how this was Paypal's fault. They did the right thing refunding the money. Three YEARS later the company comes back and throws a tantrum.
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    How can that language be legal in the 'terms'?
    It probably isn't enforceable, imo. What it sounds like based on the fact that she has been "fined" and her credit score dinged is that the company sued for non-payment and got a default judgment against the buyer -- either because she ignored the collection letters and lawsuit, or because she moved or something and was served by "publication" which she never saw. Since it was a collection matter, non-payment and entry of a default judgment against her would automatically have dinged her credit pretty hard.

jmo

The company sued her for non-payment of merchandise they never delivered? That does not make sense.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    there's no way a judge will enforce that

there's a thing in law that even if it's in the contract, it still has to be reasonable

companies can't just write anything they want into a contract and expect the law to back them if those conditions are outrageous, which IMO, this is

I hope to see an update on this one

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    btw, I can't find a working website for that co. (which doesn't surprise me) - can anyone else?