NY NY - Sharon Shechter, 35, Perinton, 9 Dec 2001

sharon25

Reaction score
This has always been on my mind. This woman has been missing for over 3 years and it bothers me so much that it doesn't really seem like everything is being done to find her. She has 3 children, she was in the middle of a divorce and she had a restraining order against her husband. The husband now has the children and they have still not found her.

http://www.rnews.com/story_2004.cfm?story_type=2&rnews_story_type=18&id=3809

http://www.rnews.com/story_2004.cfm?story_type=2&rnews_story_type=18&id=4134

This is my first time posting as well. I just can't stop thinking about what those children must be going through.

Sharon

i think the ex had something to do with her disaperance was he questioned or even considered a suspect, was she seeing anyone during her divorice????

is alan schecter a politician? i ran a google search and a transcript from bob dole's tax cut came up and alan schecter is one of the people recorded and talking????? politicians have alot of power!

That is the big issue here. There isn't ANY information out there!!!! Can you believe that!! The only known facts is that she had three children, she was in the middle of a divorce, had a restraining order against her husband, they had joint custody at the time, but I have a feeling that was the divorce was finalized she would've tried to get full custody. Her minivan was found at a days inn right near where the city of rochester begins, not in a bad neighborhood, just not the best neighborhood about a mile away, still not terrible neighborhood, with Blood in it..
But they've NEVER said anything else???!!!!!!!
You would think some of our news stations here would be TRYING harder!!!!! It makes me so angry!!! Those poor children!!! And her family!!

The families can't even afford to put up a reward. The reward was finally donated by Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation back in Feb 2005. $5000 wow.. maybe if they could offer $100,000 we'd actually get down to the real truth of it all..

*sigh*

I e-mailed all the local media outlets here in Rochester NY.
This is what I sent:

I am writing this to all the local news stations asking the simple question, "What is going on with the case of Sharon Shechter????"
I have tried various searches on the internet and through all of the media websites and didn't find much at all. Did they ever mention if the husband had an alibi? Was he ever given a polygraph? Did she have a life insurance policy? What about the blood in the van?? Was it a substantial amount???
It just seems like this case has been forgotten. Is there any contact information for her family? Is there a way people can help them???
Thank you so much,
<snip>

I included my phone number and e-mail address' to them as well.
I also sent it to a lot of different reporters in the area. Over all I sent this e-mail to about 15 different places. Think it'll work at all?? any other suggestions?

amnesia said:
is alan schecter a politician? i ran a google search and a transcript from bob dole's tax cut came up and alan schecter is one of the people recorded and talking????? politicians have alot of power!
i don't believe he is. That alan shechter is from NJ I believe. The only local thing I've been able to find about Alan Shechter is just a club that he is in. nothing else.. anothing thing that bothers me a little is that one of the reporters e-mailed me back, and told me that she didn't believe Sharon Shechter was married. I informed her that she was married and gave her the link.
I understand that the reporters are really busy and could've just forgotten about details about the case, but it just makes you wonder how many people really asked these questions.

I e-mailed all the local media outlets here in Rochester NY.
This is what I sent:

I am writing this to all the local news stations asking the simple question, "What is going on with the case of Sharon Shechter????"
I have tried various searches on the internet and through all of the media websites and didn't find much at all. Did they ever mention if the husband had an alibi? Was he ever given a polygraph? Did she have a life insurance policy? What about the blood in the van?? Was it a substantial amount???
It just seems like this case has been forgotten. Is there any contact information for her family? Is there a way people can help them???
Thank you so much,
<snip>

Sharon, just because you don't see the information you are looking for does not imply the case is forgotten. She is on the Monroe County Sheriff's site and the National Center for Missing Adults. There is always information the public can't be given due to the possibility of a future court case however remote a possibility that is at the current time.

I do agree with you on some points. They obviously can't give out details about the crime scene. But there are definitely somethings that I think they should've reported.

One being the fact that they said they were looking for a Jamaican man, which I've been told that they are no longer looking for that person and he is in jail for something else. If they would say that they are not looking for him in the connection then it would possible re-direct attention on other factors.

Does anyone else think it to be strange that the LE and media have never said if the soon to be ex-husband was ever a suspect? Usually the media makes a comment about it either way.

Thanks for reading!

Name: Sharon Ann Shechter

Classification: Endangered Missing Adult
Date of Birth: February 10, 1966
Date Missing: December 9, 2001
From City/State: Rochester, NY
Age at Time of Disappearance: 35
Race: White
Height: 64 inches
Weight: 110 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Complexion: Medium

Identifying Characteristics: Pierced ears, wearing temporary dentures on top four front teeth.
Clothing: White sweatshirt with "Cape Cod" written on the front, blue jeans, long blue jean jacket, athletic shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Sharon was last seen at approximately 5:00pm on Nettlecreek Rd. in Perinton, NY. Her vehicle, a 1992 red (maroon) Dodge Caravan with wood grain panels and NY Lic# U457WP was recovered on December 12, 2001 at the Days Inn Motel located in the vicinity of the 1200 block of Chili Ave. in Gates, NY. The vehicle was found in the parking lot of the motel with blood on the interior.

Investigative Agency: Monroe County Sheriff's Office
Phone: (585) 428-5310
Investigative Case #: 180631
NCIC #: M-272057027

With prayers of HOPE for Sharon, Lanie

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051208/NEWS0201/512080358/1002/NEWS

It's four years since Sandy Poole's child disappeared

Mark Hare

(December 8, 2005) — Sharon Shechter vanished four years ago this week, but for her mom, Sandra Poole, the memories of her only child are as fresh as the morning snow.

"It's as if it were just yesterday," Poole says.

Sharon Shechter was 35, lived in Perinton and worked as an ultrasound technician. She loved cooking and crafts and polka dancing. She and her husband had separated; their three children — Jake, Amber and Rachel — were the center of her world.

Shechter was last seen on Dec. 9, 2001. She had planned to do some Christmas shopping with a friend on that day. She left the house and never returned. A few days later, her blood-stained minivan was found in Gates; the blood was Sharon's.

Sandy clings tight to the memories and photos. Of Sharon when she was named Miss Pre-Teen Rochester, of Sharon at her Gates Chili High junior prom, of Sharon at a Chuck E. Cheese birthday party.

Mom and daughter spoke twice or more every day. "Even now, when the phone rings," Sandy says, "I think it might be Sharon calling."

Sandy says that Sharon was the last baby born at the old Park Avenue Hospital (which later became Park Ridge Hospital in Greece). "She weighed 6 pounds, 11 ounces," Sandy recalls. "She was just 19 inches long. I remember that my girlfriend and her mother snuck up the back stairs to visit us."

For Sandy, life has been suspended in time. "I remember when she was 2, we went to Hungary, where her father's family was from. We went to a Christmas Eve service and Sharon stayed at my in-laws' home. When we came back, my brother-in-law was running down the street saying, 'Sharon needs you. Come quick.'"

She had been crying, Sandy says, and the brother-in-law tried to comfort her. He rocked her and talked to her and changed her diaper, but she wouldn't stop. "All she wanted was a bottle," Sandy says.

It's funny what moments come to mind.

"When they had the Horses on Parade (the uniquely decorated horses on display all over Rochester), she decided to do Elephants on Parade with the kids." She bought seven ceramic elephants and the kids decorated them, with Mom's help and encouragement.

There are flashes of the last trip they took — to Las Vegas for a wedding the summer before Sharon disappeared. "We stayed at Caesars Palace," Sandy recalls. "One morning we were going downstairs and the security guards brushed us aside. There had been a robbery at a jewelry store right in Caesars. They caught the guy. The kids thought it was pretty exciting."

Christmas was Sharon's favorite time of year, Sandy says. The day she disappeared, she left the homemade ornaments she was making on the coffee table. When I talked to Sandy two years ago about her loss, she showed me one of them — a zebra with yellow, green and red stripes, standing amid huge purple and yellow foliage.

Sandy keeps close to her the reminders of her daughter's life. She never leaves the house without a button with Sharon's picture asking people to call the sheriff's department if they have any news of her fate.

No, Sandy doesn't expect to see Sharon again. She knows she is dead, but she can't quite let go. Last summer, Sandy's sister, Rosemary, died from cancer. "It was sad, but at least we know where she is," she says, her voice faltering a bit.

Sandy waits for the day when she can say as much about her only daughter.

shechter_sharon_3.jpg

Sharon Shechter (more pics at link below)
http://www.nampn.doenetwork.us/cases/shechter_sharon.html

I don't know what exactly it is that rips me so much. That Sandy will never see her child again or the fact that she is missing and presumed dead or the children will never see their mother again. Someone out there knows more and is not talking. We all know closure is an impossible avenue but to know what happened and to seek justice is importent and needed. Bless you Sharon in your journey!

The family of Sharon Shechter marked a somber anniversary on Sunday. The mother of three from Perinton went missing December 9, 2001.

Her minivan was found with blood inside it at a hotel parking lot in Gates three days after she disappeared.

Anyone who might have any information about her disappearance, is urged to call CrimeStoppers at (585) 423-9300. Callers do not have to identify themselves.

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=448ff688-6015-40d2-af94-fc800ec79fc0

Seems like someone like Greta or Nancy's show would pick this up since it's been so long AND it's an anniversary. I'll pray for this family.

was the husband ever looked at i am assuming if he was he wouldn't have custody of the children? did he hire a hitman to kill her? did he have nothing to do with it and she happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time?

Sharon told (2) people she was picking her kids up at 5:30pm the night she was "Vanished".
Sharon's vehicle was found very close to her husband's residence.
A hitman would have left that vehicle someplace else-thus making it look like it was a stranger.
The "person" they should be (and most likely did, and are) looking at, lived in Gates, NY. He had to get back home quickly.

Hello - I am working on a new series and we are seeking Cold Cases NY. We are hoping to bring the cases one step closer to being solved with the hopes of actually solving them. Does anyone know how I may get in touch with the family?

I would suggest contacting the Monroe County Sherriff's Dept. first. I'm sure that the family would appreciate having your request for information validated before any contact information was passed along. It seems like a chance they would jump at to get the story out there again, but you can't be too careful and I'd hate to see Sandy or her grandchildren exploited.

Good Luck. I hope you're successful in bringing attention to Sharon's tragedy. We all miss her terribly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back