MD MD - Hagerstown, near quarry off I-70, WhtMale 18-30, UP2250, clothes, Dec'81

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

DISCOVERED - December 13, 1981
LOCATION - Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland
APPROX HEIGHT: 5'8"
HAIR: Brown, wavy

The victim was located at the bottom of a steep slope, at 10102 Mapleville Road, Beaver Creek/Melott East West Quarry.

Dental and fingerprints available.

Doe Network - Case File 1034UMMD

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) UP2250

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of April 11, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Find Donald Shafer missing person Facebook page, they believe this UID male may be Donald. <modsnip: broken link>
Missing from Pennsylvania since March 1981. Chronic runaway with ties to the New Jersey area.

He'd be taller than the UID at 6'0" and was only 15.

Donald Ferry Shafer – The Charley Project

If this isn't Don, this guy still needs to be identified. Only one rule out (Ryan Kemp).

There is a very strong resemblance in the sketch and the photo on the right!

Made an album for him on the FB page Still Seek Answers & I run called Never Forget Me
Hagerstown, Maryland 18 to 30 year old White Male 12/13/1981 I happened across this story by accident. He has been waiting many years to go home. He was found at the bottom of a slope at Beaver Creek in December of 1981. (December 13, 1981) What struck me as unusual is his height as listed in the news paper article as standing 6’8” tall which is very wrong according to Doe Net, it is 68 inches!

<modsnip: broken link> 12/08/2009
WASHINGTON COUNTY, MD - Officials from the Maryland Missing Persons Network are still trying to identify a young man found dead in Washington County nearly 30 years ago.

This is a reconstruction of "John Doe” whose body was found at the bottom of a slope at Beaver Creek in December of 1981.

Authorities believe he was between 18 and 30 years old at the time of his death, standing 6’8” tall (68 inches 5ft 6in according to Doe Net) with brown, wavy hair.

Anyone with information can visit, www.marylandmissing.com.

Unidentified White Male - The victim was discovered on December 13, 1981 in Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: Months prior
Mummified Remains

Vital Statistics - Estimated age: 18-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 68"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, wavy, 2 1/2 inches long hair.
Dentals: Available. Both upper and lower front teeth are missing postmortem.
Clothing: Long sleeve, white shirt; gray, corduroy pants; white briefs; t-shirt. Two blue socks.
Fingerprints: FBI# 32-57, Latent Case# C-7325.

Case History - The victim was located at the bottom of a steep slope, at 10102 Mapleville Road, Beaver Creek/Melott East West Quarry.

Investigators If you have any information about this case please contact:
Maryland State Police/MD Center for Missing
800-637-5437
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
81-2280A/81-88U/128938

The Doe Network: Case File 1034UMMD 1034UMMD

I spoke to his NamUs case worker to get clarification on his height. She is going to see what she can find out but she's not real hopefully as his remains were disposed of years ago. There will not be DNA in this case. She said they have a really good potential match but they so far have not been able to verify it.

I spoke to his NamUs case worker to get clarification on his height. She is going to see what she can find out but she's not real hopefully as his remains were disposed of years ago. There will not be DNA in this case. She said they have a really good potential match but they so far have not been able to verify it.

There's no way to identify him. Donald's family believes this is him.

He has dentals and fingerprints available. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
His doenet file includes the identifiers for the fingerprint information: 1034UMMD "Fingerprints: FBI# 32-57, Latent Case# C-7325."

Ruleouts:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Randall Brosius 1954 Pennsylvania
Lawrence Fishman 1951 Maryland
Ryan Kemp 1951 Pennsylvania
Randall Leach 1960 Idaho
Gary Moore 1953 Maryland
Sean Phelan 1960 California
Frank Santmyer, Jr. 1952 Maryland
John Troha 1963

Donald Ferry Shafer is in Namus now: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

His file indicates he has fingerprints available yesterday. If that's true, they should be able to get a rule in or out with fingerprints.

He has dentals and fingerprints available. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
His doenet file includes the identifiers for the fingerprint information: The Doe Network: Case File 1034UMMD "Fingerprints: FBI# 32-57, Latent Case# C-7325."

Ruleouts:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Randall Brosius 1954 Pennsylvania
Lawrence Fishman 1951 Maryland
Ryan Kemp 1951 Pennsylvania
Randall Leach 1960 Idaho
Gary Moore 1953 Maryland
Sean Phelan 1960 California
Frank Santmyer, Jr. 1952 Maryland
John Troha 1963

Donald Ferry Shafer is in Namus now: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

His file indicates he has fingerprints available yesterday. If that's true, they should be able to get a rule in or out with fingerprints.

One new exclusion: Michael Small of Milwaukee WI. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I submitted James Hires a month ago and haven't heard anything back. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Side by side of the UID and James.
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

Beaver Creek John Doe has been unidentified for 40 years today.

The 41st anniversary of Beaver Creek John Doe’s discovery passed recently.

Beaver Creek John Doe's NamUs profile has been modified on 4/10/23,but not additional exclusions since I posted in 2020. James Hires that I have submitted in the past is still not on the rule out list. I need to look and see if I could submit him to another agency. (I need to look back thru my emails to see who I did submit the possible match to in the first place)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back