Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: To train up a child, book has lead to the death of 3 children

To train up a child, book has lead to the death of 3 children

Another child has been murdered by her parents following instructions written in a book on child discipline, this is the 3rd death so far. the book is given to many church goers and military families for free.

Link to recent death.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/anot...ain-up-a-child

I only just discovered this and haven't looked into the other deaths yet, it is sad anyone would even consider following the guidelines listed in the pearls book.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to zombiepie For This Useful Post:

Ok, so another adopted child dead.

Methods from the book:

- Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities
    - Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent's neck as a constant reminder to obey
    - "Swatting" babies as young as six months old with instruments such as "a 12-inch willowy branch," thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
    - "Blanket training" babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
    - Beating older children with rulers, paddles, belts and larger tree branches
    - "Training" children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
    - Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
    - Hosing off children who have potty training accidents
    - Inflicting punishment until a child is "without breath to complain."
    How is someone even publishing this crap?

The Deaths:

The Schatzes: murdered 7 year old adopted daughter Lydia during dicipline session

The Williamses: murdered their adopted daughter, 14 year old Hana
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Grace-Rose_Williams

The Paddock: murdered their four year old adopted son, Sean
    http://www.salon.com/2010/02/23/no_greater_joy/

5. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:

Lydia Schatz and her family.

Kevin Schatz was found guilty of second degree murder and torture and will serve at least 22 years of imprisonment from two life sentences. Elizabeth Schatz was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and infliction of unlawful corporal punishment and will serve at least 13 years of imprisonment
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Lydia_Schatz"]Death of Lydia Schatz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:

Hana Grace-Rose Williams

A Washington couple accused of starving, beating and forcing their adopted daughter to stay outside as punishment have been sentenced to spend decades in prison for her death.
    Larry and Carri Williams were convicted on September 9 and sentenced on Tuesday for the manslaughter in the death of a teenage girl they adopted from Ethiopia.
    Carri Williams was also found guilty of homicide by abuse.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sentences.html

Hana with biological family, Ethiopia.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:

Sean Paddock at his fourth birthday

JANUARY 2005: Sean and his siblings first visit the Paddocks' farm outside Smithfield. Sean returns from the weekend visit with a bruise on his backside. Lynn Paddock said he fell off a bunk bed. He and his siblings said Paddock whipped him for playing with the family dog.

FEBRUARY 2005: Social workers conclude that Sean tumbled from the bunk bed and the Ford children resume their visits to the Paddock farm.

JULY 2005: The adoption is completed.

FEBRUARY 2006: Sean suffocates after being tightly bundled in blankets. Investigators determine Lynn Paddock has been spanking the children with plastic plumbing supply line. Lynn Paddock is charged with first-degree murder and child abuse. She remains jailed in Johnston County.
    http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org/SeanPaddock.html

And lots more information at link!

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    Why is this book on the shelf? So sad about the children , wonder how many are out there being treated so badly. These people are animals. I

13. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to keeponsearching For This Useful Post:

I read about this in another forum. Until then I had never heard of this book. MOO is that the authors bears responsibility in these deaths. There is all kinds of talk about civil liberties and book banning, etc. but people are so stupid as to follow these books that are nothing but child abuse. This one and Babywise both belong in a big bonfire never to be read again!

15. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:

Spanking a six month old baby is evil to the core. Everything mentioned in that book is. How can anyone get away with a book instructing on how to abuse and churches go along with it. So-called churches.

I believe in corporal punishment. My children were spanked. But there is a big difference in a spanking and a beating. And you never spank a baby!

I believe this book mentions breaking the spirit. That is abuse too. Something needs to be done.

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
    The Deaths:

The Schatzes: murdered 7 year old adopted daughter Lydia during dicipline session

The Williamses: murdered their adopted daughter, 14 year old Hana
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Grace-Rose_Williams

The Paddock: murdered their four year old adopted son, Sean
    http://www.salon.com/2010/02/23/no_greater_joy/
    There is no such thing as a discipline "session". Call it what it is...torture,gross cruelty, out of control anger on the part of the person who is so void if concience that he or she takes pleasure in causing physical and emotional agony to destroy a child. People hurt kids to feel powerful. The world is full of idiots.

This is my very experienced opinion as a long time parent and grandparent. People who choose to advocate abuse are generally offended by it and that's fine with me. All it takes to create a majority is a lot of people who refuse to stand for what's right instead of hiding among the crowd. MOO

20. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to TGIRecovered For This Useful Post:

Book burning would be appropriate in this case. Hopefully a Dateline or 20/20
    investigative exposé will occur.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Teche For This Useful Post:

I'd like to find out which churches promote the book, and know exactly why the military gives it out.

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to txsvicki For This Useful Post:

Is there a link as to what churches promote the book or to military distributing it?

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:

I have heard that Amish parents use a type of blanket training. I can believe it.

Unless otherwise stated as fact with a link or reference provided, all posts are my OPINION only.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    I believe in corporal punishment. My children were spanked. But there is a big difference in a spanking and a beating. And you never spank a baby!

I believe this book mentions breaking the spirit. That is abuse too. Something needs to be done.
    Well, there is an age to spank, and an age where a "spanking" turns into a beating. Spanking is only effective in the younger years (like...under 8). After that...it just gets weird. And I have nothing against an age-appropriate spank now and again. Sometimes it's the only way to convey danger -- like..."don't touch the fire, it's hot!" Sometimes a long, drawn out explanation of why you shouldn't do something is ineffective, both for safety as well as cognitive reasons, and a swat it better.

Unless otherwise stated as fact with a link or reference provided, all posts are my OPINION only.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Baffling... baffling this book is out there, baffling anybody would carry it, baffling anybody would follow it. Baffling and so very sad

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LookingHoping For This Useful Post:

I feel sorry for Christians who are not bat guano insane, sociopathic child abusers. Because really, who wants to be under the same religious umbrella as Michael and Debi Pearl and the lunatics who think beating children with plastic pipe or spanking infants is awesome?

I am not a Christian. But I know a few really nice ones, and based on those positive examples I feel confident in saying this handbook on child abuse has NOTHING to do with Christianity.

I am not religious, but I value people with love in their hearts, in any walk of life. My apologies to the good folks out there whose faith doesn't include hate and harm to others. Let alone placing a child's development and mental and emotional health beneath the convenience and ego of the parent. Really, I am so sorry. But a lot of 'Christians' really scare me. Not the least because a deal of the harm they do is protected under civil rights and freedom of speech and religion so they can rip people off intellectually, emotionally and financially all they want - and publish garbage like this and get away with it.

Perhaps today I am just too keenly feeling like good folks of all creeds are severely outnumbered.
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 11-19-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: too ranty....
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Timtams, drop bears and tinnies round the barbie: The Australia Thread

34. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    I have heard that Amish parents use a type of blanket training. I can believe it.
    I've heard of blanket training from some of my more churchy friends, but it doesn't involve spanking or beating. Basically, it involves training a child slowly to sit quietly. You start with a very short amount of time, and work your way up, with the goal of having your child sit quietly for church. I've seen a few of my friends succeed with it, and they didn't spank at all.

Found a blog post that details something similar to what my friends do:

http://www.aboverubies.net/2012/03/f...-training.html
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. I am a newly practicing lawyer (yay!) but not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnaTeresa For This Useful Post:

I think the very concept of 'blanket training' an infant is nuts.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

38. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

Montana a beautiful area close to Yellowstone, Beartooth pass.
    I'm sure these people didn't need a book to help them with abusing children. Just an excuse for them.
    I also recall reading in the Bible somewhere that you were never to discipline a child to the point of breaking their spirit.
    I though parents wanted their babies to learn to crawl off the blankets? We were all excited when our babies did. I can't imagine spanking a tiny tot at all. With a spoon? with a stick? Just BS. These folks don't deserve to have kids, or raise kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AnaTeresa View Post
    I've heard of blanket training from some of my more churchy friends, but it doesn't involve spanking or beating. Basically, it involves training a child slowly to sit quietly. You start with a very short amount of time, and work your way up, with the goal of having your child sit quietly for church. I've seen a few of my friends succeed with it, and they didn't spank at all.

Found a blog post that details something similar to what my friends do:

http://www.aboverubies.net/2012/03/f...-training.html
    I looked at that blog...it's rather fascinating to me -- not necessarily in a "wow! That sounds great!" way...fascinating as in pondering something that seems odd to you.

I'm sorry, and I sure don't mean to be offensive (but I'm sure I will offend some)...but it reminds me of training a dog, or some other animal.

41. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to oh_gal For This Useful Post:

Disgusting. If three children have reportedly been killed, one can only imagine how many more have died or suffered at their ill-informed parents' hands without catching the attention or concern of CPS and LE.

Change.org has a petition, which apparently has not yet gotten enough signatures to convince Amazon to withdraw the books from their electronic shelves. But one can always let Amazon know that they will be boycotted until they do so.

https://www.change.org/petitions/ama...se-of-children

Besides signing this petition (and sharing it on our facebook pages), we can add our own comments and one-star reviews to sites like Amazon. We can also educate our local bookstores about this book and the deaths that have come from it, and urge them to remove the book from their shelves. I see my beloved Powell's City of Books also carries it. Their CEO will be hearing from me soon.
    Last edited by La Louve; 11-19-2013 at 01:31 PM.

The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).

"In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.”
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea

43. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to La Louve For This Useful Post:

DH and I are Christians. Raised inChristian homes and raised our kids that way. Have a son who is a minister.

I can assure you, none of us believes in this garbage, nor do our churches. It is offensive and frustrating to be likened to people like these.

From babyhood our children were taught to be quiet and behave in church as well as other public places. And we didnt need trash like this to do it. It was told to them why they were expected to be quiet. When they were toddlers, they came to "big church" for the first half hour of singing, announcements, prayer, etc. then off to the nursery they went during preaching. After they were too old for the nursery, they had a special bag they brought to church. It was only for church. It was filled with small coloring and activity books, stickers, a small doll, or car etc. quiet activities to keep them occupied and quiet. They were never beaten to keep them quiet.

^ Killarney Rose, like I said, I feel so sorry for the good folks who share the title of Christian with these idiots.

Good on you for raising your kids to be respectful, in a way that is respectful to -them-. That's what I call being a good person, and it probably counts toward being a good Christian as well.

Says me, who was raised with such an utter lack of religiosity that I thought 'Jesus Christ' was a swear word you said when you dropped something on your foot and the like, until I was seven years old and it was all explained to me during my first religious ed class..

I was most embarrassed, having told a kid to quit swearing for saying it just a few days before. No wonder that kid looked at me funny.

eta: I really don't recall thinking it, but at some point I must have wondered why all the Christmas songs had so much cussing in them...

46. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ausgirl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast