To train up a child, book has lead to the death of 3 children

zombiepie

Reaction score
Another child has been murdered by her parents following instructions written in a book on child discipline, this is the 3rd death so far. :banghead: the book is given to many church goers and military families for free.

Link to recent death.
http://www.examiner.com/article/ano...f-murder-for-parenting-by-to-train-up-a-child

I only just discovered this and haven't looked into the other deaths yet, it is sad anyone would even consider following the guidelines listed in the pearls book.

Ok, so another adopted child dead.

Methods from the book:

- Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities
- Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent's neck as a constant reminder to obey
- "Swatting" babies as young as six months old with instruments such as "a 12-inch willowy branch," thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
- "Blanket training" babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
- Beating older children with rulers, paddles, belts and larger tree branches
- "Training" children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
- Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
- Hosing off children who have potty training accidents
- Inflicting punishment until a child is "without breath to complain."

How is someone even publishing this crap?

lydia-schatz-2.png

Lydia Schatz and her family.

Kevin Schatz was found guilty of second degree murder and torture and will serve at least 22 years of imprisonment from two life sentences. Elizabeth Schatz was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and infliction of unlawful corporal punishment and will serve at least 13 years of imprisonment

Death of Lydia Schatz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alg_hana_williams.jpg

Hana Grace-Rose Williams

A Washington couple accused of starving, beating and forcing their adopted daughter to stay outside as punishment have been sentenced to spend decades in prison for her death.
Larry and Carri Williams were convicted on September 9 and sentenced on Tuesday for the manslaughter in the death of a teenage girl they adopted from Ethiopia.
Carri Williams was also found guilty of homicide by abuse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-Larry-Carri-Williams-maximum-sentences.html

article-0-1B6958CE000005DC-583_634x462.jpg

Hana with biological family, Ethiopia.

aa6Q7.AuSt.156.JPEG

Sean Paddock at his fourth birthday

JANUARY 2005: Sean and his siblings first visit the Paddocks' farm outside Smithfield. Sean returns from the weekend visit with a bruise on his backside. Lynn Paddock said he fell off a bunk bed. He and his siblings said Paddock whipped him for playing with the family dog.

FEBRUARY 2005: Social workers conclude that Sean tumbled from the bunk bed and the Ford children resume their visits to the Paddock farm.

JULY 2005: The adoption is completed.

FEBRUARY 2006: Sean suffocates after being tightly bundled in blankets. Investigators determine Lynn Paddock has been spanking the children with plastic plumbing supply line. Lynn Paddock is charged with first-degree murder and child abuse. She remains jailed in Johnston County.

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org/SeanPaddock.html

And lots more information at link!

Why is this book on the shelf? So sad about the children , wonder how many are out there being treated so badly. These people are animals. I

I read about this in another forum. Until then I had never heard of this book. MOO is that the authors bears responsibility in these deaths. There is all kinds of talk about civil liberties and book banning, etc. but people are so stupid as to follow these books that are nothing but child abuse. This one and Babywise both belong in a big bonfire never to be read again!

Spanking a six month old baby is evil to the core. Everything mentioned in that book is. How can anyone get away with a book instructing on how to abuse and churches go along with it. So-called churches.

I believe in corporal punishment. My children were spanked. But there is a big difference in a spanking and a beating. And you never spank a baby!

I believe this book mentions breaking the spirit. That is abuse too. Something needs to be done.

The Deaths:

The Schatzes: murdered 7 year old adopted daughter Lydia during dicipline session
http://www.examiner.com/article/another-child-s-death-linked-to-pearls-and-to-train-up-a-child

The Williamses: murdered their adopted daughter, 14 year old Hana
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Grace-Rose_Williams

The Paddock: murdered their four year old adopted son, Sean
http://www.salon.com/2010/02/23/no_greater_joy/

There is no such thing as a discipline "session". Call it what it is...torture,gross cruelty, out of control anger on the part of the person who is so void if concience that he or she takes pleasure in causing physical and emotional agony to destroy a child. People hurt kids to feel powerful. The world is full of idiots.

This is my very experienced opinion as a long time parent and grandparent. People who choose to advocate abuse are generally offended by it and that's fine with me. All it takes to create a majority is a lot of people who refuse to stand for what's right instead of hiding among the crowd. MOO

Book burning would be appropriate in this case. Hopefully a Dateline or 20/20
investigative exposé will occur.

I'd like to find out which churches promote the book, and know exactly why the military gives it out.

Is there a link as to what churches promote the book or to military distributing it?

I have heard that Amish parents use a type of blanket training. I can believe it.

I believe in corporal punishment. My children were spanked. But there is a big difference in a spanking and a beating. And you never spank a baby!

I believe this book mentions breaking the spirit. That is abuse too. Something needs to be done.

Well, there is an age to spank, and an age where a "spanking" turns into a beating. Spanking is only effective in the younger years (like...under 8). After that...it just gets weird. And I have nothing against an age-appropriate spank now and again. Sometimes it's the only way to convey danger -- like..."don't touch the fire, it's hot!" Sometimes a long, drawn out explanation of why you shouldn't do something is ineffective, both for safety as well as cognitive reasons, and a swat it better.

Baffling... baffling this book is out there, baffling anybody would carry it, baffling anybody would follow it. Baffling and so very sad :(

I feel sorry for Christians who are not bat guano insane, sociopathic child abusers. Because really, who wants to be under the same religious umbrella as Michael and Debi Pearl and the lunatics who think beating children with plastic pipe or spanking infants is awesome?

I am not a Christian. But I know a few really nice ones, and based on those positive examples I feel confident in saying this handbook on child abuse has NOTHING to do with Christianity.

I am not religious, but I value people with love in their hearts, in any walk of life. My apologies to the good folks out there whose faith doesn't include hate and harm to others. Let alone placing a child's development and mental and emotional health beneath the convenience and ego of the parent. Really, I am so sorry. :( But a lot of 'Christians' really scare me. Not the least because a deal of the harm they do is protected under civil rights and freedom of speech and religion so they can rip people off intellectually, emotionally and financially all they want - and publish garbage like this and get away with it.

Perhaps today I am just too keenly feeling like good folks of all creeds are severely outnumbered.

I have heard that Amish parents use a type of blanket training. I can believe it.

I've heard of blanket training from some of my more churchy friends, but it doesn't involve spanking or beating. Basically, it involves training a child slowly to sit quietly. You start with a very short amount of time, and work your way up, with the goal of having your child sit quietly for church. I've seen a few of my friends succeed with it, and they didn't spank at all.

Found a blog post that details something similar to what my friends do:

http://www.aboverubies.net/2012/03/first-time-obedience-blanket-training.html

I think the very concept of 'blanket training' an infant is nuts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back