1026 users online (189 members and 837 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GA - Rebecca Greene, 22, Athens, 19 Nov 2013

http://onlineathens.com/breaking-new...nd-west-athens

Authorities on Tuesday located the body of a University of Georgia student reported missing earlier in the day by her boyfriend.
    Rebecca Elaine Greene, 22, was found in a creek off the side of The Plaza, a street in west Athens not far from where the student lived with her boyfriend on Indale Avenue.
    The cause of death was not immediately known.
    Authorities located the woman after they were able to ping her cellphone’s signal at about 10:30 a.m.
    I hate to have to post something like this.. let me know if I should fix anything, mods.
    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy.

----

This story just broke and I'm still hearing helicopters. This is about a mile and a half from where my boyfriend and I (recent UGA alumns, not originally from here) currently live, but when I was a junior I lived one street/block over.

It's a very strange place, about a mile away from the busy downtown area. Not a good neighborhood. Filled with foot traffic all the time— drug deals etc. Just clarifying in case "creek" makes the location sound remote. I was surprised to know there even was a creek.

----

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre

Helicopters still going strong. A man in a polo with a walkie talkie and what looked like a badge was wandering around our yard earlier. He peeked into all our neighbors' and our trashcans. He could've been some sort of meter reader, but that's pretty cool if they're being that thorough! There are lots of complaints about LE here (mostly regarding sentencing and probation procedures) but they overall work very fast so I have faith that this will be figured out soon. AFAIK nothing like this has happened in 20+ years here (a female student was murdered during a home invasion—still unsolved).

If this wasn't an accident I hope they're searching all the RSO's nearby. At my last house in this area there (not the one a block away, but closer than I am now) were freaking three halfway houses within a two block radius and a violent RSO next door to one. Those porches were filled with men every hour of the day watching/verbally accosting the "coeds" (hate that word) pass by on their way to/from class and downtown. Never been happier to leave a neighborhood.

----

Body of Missing UGA Student Rebecca Greene Found in Athens Tuesday Morning

...The body of Rebecca Elaine Greene, 22, of Brunswick, was found Tuesday morning in a creek on The Plaza in Athens, Georgia....

...Greene lived with her boyfriend on Indale Avenue, near the Plaza. The boyfriend told authorities he had last spoken to her at 5:30pm on Monday, after trying to arrange to pick her up at the UGA Science Library. She was a chemistry major and worked at Earthfare.

Greene texted that she would either walk home or take a bus. ...
    more at: http://athens.patch.com/groups/polic...missing-person

Body of missing UGA student found in west Athens

...Police notified Greene’s parents Tuesday afternoon after they drove from their home near Brunswick to meet with officials at a Georgia State Patrol post in Dublin. ...
    more at: http://onlineathens.com/breaking-new...nd-west-athens

Prayers for her parents and all who loved her. Rest in peace, Rebecca.

According to the AJC, her death was not caused by foul play. Though I'm very sorry this young woman is dead, I'm glad she wasn't murdered.

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/uga-stude...n-creek/nbxzy/

UGA student found dead near West Broad ruled not homicide

...“The preliminary autopsy does show that this is not a homicide," said Sherry Lang, director of Public Affairs for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. "There were no signs of foul play and no one else had a role in her death. The final results are pending additional testing."

ACCPD requested help from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and UGA PD. Greene's body will be taken to the GBI Crime Lab in Decatur for an autopsy to determine how she died. ...
    from the UGa newspaper: http://www.redandblack.com/cops/uga-...9bb30f31a.html

Puzzling...

No sign of homicide...

therefore... Suicide?

OR a freak medical condition?

RIP Rebecca...

for those that love you...

Such a pretty young woman! How sad! What happened? An accident?

One odd thing I noticed -- some links mentioned Rebecca had told her boyfriend she would walk or take a bus home from the library, but another link said LE was removing a bike, presumably hers, from the scene where she was found.

Did she make it home and go out again? A bike accident of some kind, or exertion aggravating an unknown medical condition?

And --found IN a creek?

She was a chemistry major. Did she come into contact with something poisonous?

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    One odd thing I noticed -- some links mentioned Rebecca had told her boyfriend she would walk or take a bus home from the library, but another link said LE was removing a bike, presumably hers, from the scene where she was found.

Did she make it home and go out again? A bike accident of some kind, or exertion aggravating an unknown medical condition?

And --found IN a creek?
    Yeah, I think you'd have to go quite out of your way to get to that creek on purpose. I also assume it's not very deep. Toxicology pending, from the AJC article.

So sad. Everyone's really shaken up over here. She seemed so happy and committed to her family, boyfriend, and goals. If it was a suicide, I wonder how surprising that is to her loved ones. Also makes you wonder what kinds of signs get missed way too often.

Rest in peace, lady. <3

----

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post

And --found IN a creek?
    I, too, am wondering about the creek...

was there enough water in the creek to drown if she fell off her bike?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast