IL - Christian, 9, & Grace Vasilev, 3, stabbed to death, 27 April 2005 *Insanity*

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. — A 9-year-old boy and his 3-year-old sister were found stabbed to death in their home, and authorities were questioning the parents Thursday after finding several knives they believe were the murder weapons, police said.

The children's mother was in the home Wednesday night when the children — Christian and Gracie Vasilev (search) — were attacked, Lt. Rich Russo said. He said her husband arrived later and called 911.

Russo said authorities were holding Nikolai Vasilev (search), 36, and his 34-year-old wife, Tonya, for questioning, but added: "We're not viewing them the same way."

"We are not looking for anybody else at this point in time," Russo said.

-----

The stabbings came five years after the couple's 3-month-old daughter died in a fire at an Elk Grove Village townhouse where the family then lived. The cause of the 2000 fire remains undetermined, but foul play was never suspected, said Elk Grove Village Police Deputy Chief Larry Hammar.

Hammar said his department will investigate that fire again. The children's mother was home at the time of fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154915,00.html

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. — Nine-year-old Christian Vasilev (search) and his 3-year-old sister tried to fight off their attacker as they were repeatedly stabbed, each more than 100 times, inside their suburban Chicago home, authorities said Friday.

The children's mother was in custody Friday morning but no charges had been filed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155040,00.html

UGH!!! This makes me sick to my stomach. What is wrong with these women???

Oh my God. Could there be anything more horrible?

do not read if you have a weak stomach

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-kidsdead29.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0504290208apr29,1,7163852.story?coll=chi-newslocal-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

This is just horrible. And I am sure she will plead the insanity defense.

And the story about the fire, they didn't think it was odd that the mother left the baby, in a baby seat, on top of the dryer????

Who knows, maybe if someone looked into that a little more closely these children might have been spared?

*sigh*
Sharon

From the first link in the post above:

Wednesday night, Nikolai came home to find his two remaining children, a 9-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter, stabbed to death -- some 500 times -- and his wife bathed in blood, a source close to the investigation said.

Tonya Vasilev, 34, was charged Friday with two counts of first-degree murder.

Investigators believe 3-year-old Gracie was attacked first, around 8:30 p.m., and then her mother brought her to the second floor, where her older brother, Christian, was watching television, the source said, citing the mother's statement to police.

"The boy looks up, sees his sister all bloody, and asked the mother, "What's going on? . . . The mother then attacked the boy. The boy runs from her, flees to the first floor, where she catches up with him, and she then alternates between attacking the boy and the girl.''

DP adds:

This may be the most horrible murder I've ever heard of.

ALSO FROM THE FIRST LINK:

Nikolai, 36, had recently decided to leave the Des Plaines church to start his own congregation, said Stan Tanev, pastor of the Des Plaines church. The split was amicable and because of a difference in styles, including that Nikolai was going to preach in English, Tanev said.

Investigators were looking at this as a possible motive in the attacks, the source said.

"The motive is bizarre. . . . The mother feared people in the new religion were going to sexually molest these children,'' the source said.

Tanev, when asked about this, said the new congregation -- which was still part of the Church of God -- included members of the church whom Tonya already knew.

DP adds:

Is it just me, or do these cases of mothers murdering their children seem to accompany "religeon" far too often? WTF?

Jeana (DP) said:
DP adds:

Is it just me, or do these cases of mothers murdering their children seem to accompany "religeon" far too often? WTF?
Not just you DP. It seems to be a common thread with some...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/29/children.stabbed.ap/index.html

Police: Autopsies show children fought back

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Illinois (AP) -- The mother of a 9-year-old boy and 3-year-old girl who were fatally stabbed more than 200 times each inside their suburban Chicago home was charged Friday with two counts of first-degree murder, authorities said.

Tonya Vasilev, 34 -- a heavy bandage covering her left wrist -- appeared in court Friday afternoon and answered the judge's questions in a soft, shaking voice. The judge appointed a public defender to represent her and ordered her held without bail.

Investigators believe she was at home Wednesday night when Christian and Gracie Vasilev were killed. The children's father and a friend who had been living with the family discovered the bloody scene when they arrived home that evening.

Police found the boy lying just inside the front door and carried him outside, where they tried in vain to resuscitate him, said Hoffman Estates Police Lt. Rich Russo.

The little girl and the children's mother were both upstairs. The girl was dead, and her mother had what appeared to be minor cuts on her hands. Police recovered several knives believed to have been used to kill the children.

"It really doesn't get much worse than this," said Russo, who would not discuss a possible motive for the killings.

The autopsies showed that both children tried to fight off their attacker, he said.

The stabbings came five years after the couple's 3-month-old daughter died in a fire at an Elk Grove Village town house where the family then lived. The cause of the 2000 fire remains undetermined, but foul play was never suspected, said Larry Hammar, deputy chief of the Elk Grove Village Police.

Hammar said his department will investigate that fire again. The mother was home at the time of the blaze.

Village police said at the time that Tonya Vasilev left the baby in a carrier in the laundry room while she went to check on another of her children. She noticed smoke coming from the window a short time later.

-----

I can't even begin to imagine what those two poor kids were thinking. I know I gave my little one a huge hug and kiss after reading this

Sharon

Holy crap, no I hadn't...........thanks for the link.

I'm new here and was clicking on all the links and I saw your post

"It really doesn't get much worse than this," said Russo, who would not discuss a possible motive for the killings.
I couldn't find words, I guess this says it all. :behindbar

I'll tell you, I just don't get it anymore! These child murders by parents/step-parents/foster parents, etc. We always read "mental illness, religion." Yet, there are MANY people with mental illness and in these churches who could NEVER murder like this. I don't understand. It's evil.

cloud9 said:
I'll tell you, I just don't get it anymore! These child murders by parents/step-parents/foster parents, etc. We always read "mental illness, religion." Yet, there are MANY people with mental illness and in these churches who could NEVER murder like this. I don't understand. It's evil.
I agree. In my opinion anyone who could murder is mentally ill and this should not be a defense. If you do a search on mothers who murder their children you will find dozens of cases. It's unbelievable. But religion is not the common theme, there are many different reasons and motives for their killing. But they all seem to have some long standing mental or emotional problems that manifest in a variety of ways. And yes, I think it's evil.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back