FL - Victim's Lawyer Critical of Police In FSU/QB Winston Rape Case

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/BREAKING-231816891.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- The attorney representing the alleged victim in a sexual assault investigation involving Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says her client never said she did not want to press charges.

Patricia Carroll said Wednesday it's not true that the case about the alleged December 2012 assault was placed on hold because the victim did not want to prosecute, as a Tallahassee official told city commissioners in an email.

Carroll says the alleged victim was trying to get on with her life after it became apparent the Tallahassee Police Department was not seriously investigating the case. TPD did not respond to calls seeking comment.

One of the lingering questions surrounding the case involving Winston, a Heisman Trophy candidate, is why it took 11 months for police to hand over information to prosecutors.........

CBS Sports News Copy
"When the attorney contacted Detective Angulo immediately after Winston was identified, Detective Angulo told the attorney that Tallahassee was a big football town and the victim needs to think long and hard before proceeding against him because she will be raked over the coals and her life will be made miserable," the family said, per the Times.

Winston has neither been arrested nor charged with any crime, and his attorney, Tim Jansen, has denied all allegations concerning the Florida State star.

E-mails obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat and published Tuesday showed that the investigation into the incident had been made "inactive" in February 2013 after the complainant elected not to press charges. The case was made active again and turned over to the State Attorney's office last week, possibly due to new information in the case becoming available.

More articles on case at link, with video and docs

I have seen dirty dealings by alumni associations. Winston is having an outstanding season, is a popular candidate for the Heisman & the UoF game is coming up. I am suspicious of these accusations resurfacing right now.

This will be interesting. I'll need more information before I take a side.

I have seen dirty dealings by alumni associations. Winston is having an outstanding season, is a popular candidate for the Heisman & the UoF game is coming up. I am suspicious of these accusations resurfacing right now.

This will be interesting. I'll need more information before I take a side.

I agree...but it's probably not the U of FL stirring the pot. Look a little further north at other universities with a Heisman candidate and a lot on the line.

It looks to me like the Tallahassee Police Department attempted to kicked the investigation upstairs to the State Attorney AFTER they discovered the media had learned about the allegation.

JMO

I have no idea who alerted TMZ and other media about the case recently, but to me this whole situation could have been cleared up back in 2012 if TPD had done their job. They hid the case from the SA and tried their best to persuade the victim not to follow through on the case. Here is the SA and family's statement from the OP link:

A state attorney overseeing the case questioned aspects of the Tallahassee Police Departments's handling of the investigation, telling CBSSports.com's Jeremy Fowler Nov. 15 that he was surprised his office was not informed of the case after the original complaint in Dec. 2012. He added that he had been told Jansen had been provided a complete copy of the police report, a decision he called "not good" if true.

The interaction between Tallahassee PD and Jansen also came under fire in the complainant's family's statement (a full version of which can be read here):

The attorney and Detective Angulo discussed suspending the investigation to give the victim some time to receive counseling. However, during that discussion, the attorney addressed the need for the family to obtain the DNA and blood work results to make a more informed decision...

Thereafter, the family, through counsel, repeatedly attempted to obtain the blood work results from both Detective Angulo and the Tallahassee Police Department's victim advocate, Fawnisha Brown. At all times, the victim, the family, and counsel were available to Tallahassee Police Department and were under the impression that only law enforcement was aware of the crime.

If the victim had been aware that Winston's attorney was alerted as far back as February, she would have insisted that Tallahassee Police Department immediately collect DNA and interview, at the very least, Winston's roommate who witnessed the attack.

The victim was devastated when she learned late last week that the Tallahassee Police Department had informed Winston's attorney as far back as February, which allowed him all of this time to create his defense and prepare his witnesses. The victim cannot fathom that the State Attorney's office was not given the same opportunity.

Alleged FSU Rape Victim Says She Was Told Not to Press Charges
Video

Woman claims police told her to think "long and hard" before proceeding against Jameis Winston.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/alleged-fsu-rape-victim-told-press-charges-20961964

Lawyers Question Publicizing of FSU QB Investigation
Video

Jameis Winston's lawyer was told by police a sexual battery investigation was closed in February.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/lawyers-question-publicizing-fsu-qb-jameis-winston-sexual-20898489

What a mess. I mean seriously. Who knows what's going on. There are athletes who literally get away with murder, and there are false accusers. I'm going with it really happened based solely on the fact that 11 month later this woman isn't setting back and fading away into oblivion. Of course that's only my opinion and I may change my mind as more facts emerge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

State Attorney Interviews Complainant In Winston Investigation

http://www.wctv.tv/news/bigstories/headlines/BREAKING-231816891.html

Tallahassee, FL - The alleged victim was interviewed by the State Attorney today in Pasco County. That late word coming from the woman's attorney. Jameis Winston's attorney is blasting the release of DNA evidence in the case and contends it was all consensual.

Tim Jansen, Winston's attorney: "We're not surprised his DNA was found, we anticipated that it would be found... We never ever said he wasn't there."

Reporter: "So you're saying this was consensual?"

Tim Jansen, Winston's attorney: "Absolutely" .......

Gretl Plesinger, FDLE: "We conducted toxicology and DNA screens and returned the results to the Tallahassee Police Department and the State Attorneys office on Wednesday over a secure line."

Willie Meggs, State Attorney: "All I know is someone gave me a copy of it and I still have it.

Reporter: 'So you didn't release the DNA results?"

Willie Meggs, State Attorney: "No I didn't."

Other updates at link also. Reading the family's statement, they have good questions at the bottom. Since I've read other places the victim was intoxicated, #4 is interesting.

Jameis Winston, accuser had consensual sex, quarterback's lawyer says

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/justice/florida-state-university-quarterback-investigation/

Dennis M. Jones, who left the post in October, said when he was the city's top cop that he always knew about cases involving athletes, even if the players weren't charged.

"I'd like to know why it didn't make it to me," he said. "It could be because the victim didn't want to prosecute. I don't know. But that's a question I have."

Report: Jameis Winston could avoid suspension even if charged with felony

http://fansided.com/2013/11/21/report-jameis-winston-avoid-suspension-even-charged-felony/

From Brendan Sonnone of the Orlando Sentinel:

Jameis Winston may not be suspended automatically from the FSU football team if he is charged with a felony in connection with a pending sexual assault inquiry.

The FSU athletic department code of conduct includes a provision allowing for exceptions to the suspension rule.

The Seminoles’ athletic policy manual reads: “In the event the student-athlete is charged with a felony, absent extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration, he/she will not be permitted to represent FSU Athletics in game competition until such time as the charge is resolved and all court, university and athletics department conditions for reinstatement have been met.”

It is unclear what could constitute “extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration.”

I have heard that JW and the alleged victim had an ongoing relationship, but jealousy over another girl played a role in what's going on now.
I certainly hope that this young woman was not raped. It's such a traumatic event for anyone to experience. But I'd hate for this to be a fabrication also. The statement made by LE could possibly be taken out of context, but people are so crazy about football that I can also believe that it was meant in the way it's being portrayed as well.
I hope the truth comes out, whatever it may be. If JW is guilty....then he absolutely should be punished.
It may be a "he said-she said" kind of case if the story I've been hearing is true. I'm not sure the DNA evidence will be as big a factor if they actually were involved with each other.
I don't know what to think about the whole story...or who to believe.

The Jameis Winston Case: About more than the Heisman

http://fansided.com/2013/11/22/jameis-winston-case-heisman/

The Jameis Winston case is about a lot of things, an alleged sexual assault, a possible police cover-up, and a college football team. The problem is that we are so focused on the football part of the Winston story that we may be missing the more important aspects of this tragedy.

The discussion about the DNA match of Jameis Winston to the alleged victim was immediately turned into a discussion on its effect to the Heisman Trophy and the BCS.

Although I believe this incident brings up serious issues that deserve and need discussion among sports enthusiasts, perhaps we are not framing the conversation appropriately. Let’s examine the individuals and institutions involved in this case using the lens of real world implications.......

Good article...

Only a few "insiders" know what really happened. The alleged rape apparently took place in a campus residence while the alleged victim was intoxicated and the alleged victim and alleged perpetrator had some sort of relationship prior to the "event". Furthermore, the only known "witness" can be expected to be in Winston's "camp".

In light of the fact that the burden of proof in a criminal case is "beyond a reasonable doubt", prosecution is unlikely to result in a conviction. Most of the time, a D.A. will not file charges if he feels the case is a "loser". Sometimes the victim "goes public" and the D.A. is in a tight spot. When the accusation is "rape" and it involves a star athlete, the situation is explosive for the police, the D.A. and the school Administration. I guess thats why they make the big bucks.

Please do not post rumors and if you claim to have inside information you will have to clear it with the Administration here first. If your information comes from MSN then please post a link.

It looks to me like the Tallahassee Police Department attempted to kicked the investigation upstairs to the State Attorney AFTER they discovered the media had learned about the allegation.

JMO

According to what SA Meggs said when it came to light, that would be a reasonable assumption. Now that the TPD released their timeline of events we see that they were contacted immediately. Meggs also spoke to this by stating in so many words that it was just another day at the office, until he learned it was an athlete being named. Meggs quote us found in an article at the Tampa Bay Times with the police timeline. Meggs had a history of going after FSU athletes with great vigor. Tally is unlike most college towns that have the state attorney supporting the school.

It is disturbing to me how this situation is being played out by the media and the accuser's family. Atty Jenson is not speaking to the media much. He is being very professional. Meggs has granted interviews to several media members. The accuser's atty has sent statements to Matt Baker at the Tampa Bay Times. Meggs is serving his final term. He is 70 years old and is retiring, again. He already receives a pension from the state and also is being paid again. If he had any evidence to charge, it would have happened already. He has a very low conviction rate due to charging weak cases.

If I believed Jameis to be capable of the accusation I would be the 1st I've to say charged him and take it to Tt rial. If, as I firmly believe, this is a false claim, the accuser souls be charged with filing a false report. I doubt that will happen. The damage is already done and nothing will restore his reputation. This will always hang over his head while the woman can go on as if nothing happened. Her identity is out there but will not be revealed to the public. FSU had shown that they are tough with discipline. A star player was released in 2011 due to legal issues. Another start was released this summer because of charges of attempted sexual addault. For the school and coaching staff to show support of this player tells me that the accusation is without merit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back