Pilot dead lists Taylor Swift as next-of-kin

LadyL

Reaction score
This is a strange story. This pilot`s flight path doesn`t even make sense - he was supposed to go to Pelee Island and somehow ends up in Nashville. He didn`t communicate with air traffic control and was not using instruments, even though fog was heavy.

According to the paper, Swift's team said no one, including Swift, had ever heard of Callan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...aylor-swift-as-next-of-kin-1.2435492?cmp=fbtl

This is interesting. Some possibilities come to mind ( without impugning the pilot, since I have no affiliation with him either).

He crash landed his plane, and died in the process. This is a given. He was at a great airport, there was heavy fog, he had presumably flown a great distance and may have either been ill or run out of fuel and been unable to fly further to get out of the fog. His destination WAS Nashville, IMO.

In the USA, it used to be that a pilot flying VFR in a light fixed wing aircraft like a Cessna 172 did not have to file any flight plans, nor even have a working radio for ATC ground to air comm. . I do not know if this is still the case, and I also do not know what Canada's rules are. I used to fly with a pilot of a same- model Cessna almost daily, but the rules may have changed since. ( My pilot did have radios, GPS, transponders, filed flight plans AND checked all weather conditions at a FBO or airport before takeoff).

IMO, one or more of these things happened:

-A VFR rated pilot who was conscious and had presence of mind would have simply flown either above or around the fog unless they were unable to physically due something like a heart attack in progress or the plane was out of fuel and was coming down, regardless of weather conditions.

-He may have over-estimated his IFR abilities ( most VFR licensed pilots CAN fly IFR, thank goodness) and crashed upon landing.

As for any Taylor Swift connection, who knows? If it was his rented plane, he had the right to fly where he wanted to, I imagine. He might have been a fan of hers using her name as a small self- joke. Being only a VFR- rated pilot, he could not have ever been a part of her tour piloting team.

It may well be that A+B+C does not equal D in this case. IOW, he may not have been thinking logically. We may never know why he thought there was a connection to the singer, but some of the actions regarding the plane crash are fairly straightforward.

The simplest answer of all is that he ran out of fuel and had to try to land in heavy fog, above his instrument abilities as a pilot. MOST VFR rated pilots can fly just fine on instruments only.. they simply have not gotten licensed certification for IFR. It's expensive, and a lot of VFR pilots don't want the hassle.

I also do not know if the NTSB or Canadian air officials have jurisdiction over the crash investigation. It would make sense for the NTSB to.

One last thing: In the article, it gives about a 4 hour time span for the plane crash. I'm not understanding this. I've flown into the Nashville International Airport in a private plane many times. It's manned 24 hours a day. Maybe he went into trees or water.. not the actual air field.
Not a well written article, overall.

Maybe he was fixated on her and on a suicide mission?

SeekingJana:

that article was a follow-up - there's more info in earlier articles:

A single-engine Cessna 172 crashed early Tuesday morning off the side of a runway ...
One local newspaper said the crash happened at about 3 a.m. but went unnoticed until another plane spotted the wreckage some six hours later.
Neylon said staff at the airport conducted a “runway sweep at 2 a.m.” Tuesday morning. At 8:45 a.m. debris was discovered.
"The aircraft was discovered by a pilot in an aircraft that was taxing along a taxiway there at Nashville International Airport," said Peter Knudson of the National Transportation Safety Board.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/nashville-plane-crash-victim-identified-1.2287647

here's another link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/20/nashville-plane-crash-remains-a-mystery/3659321/

This freaks me out:

Authorities aren't sure how Michael Callan of Windsor, Ontario, flew undetected over an international border, why he turned the plane's transponder off and what caused him to circle Nashville International Airport for as long as 2 1/2 hours early in the morning on Oct. 29 before attempting to land — also apparently without coming to the attention of airport authorities.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hville-plane-crash-remains-a-mystery/3659321/

I can only speak about a pre-9/11 pilot and flying experience. The rules may have changed but I don't really know how they could in some areas.

A small light plane like a Cessna poses little to no harm to the population. A FORMATION of light planes might, but one really can't hurt anything much except the people inside and causes a small fire on impact, as it did to Mr. Callan and his rented crashed Cessna in Nashville.

About the border crossing- Look at it from another angle. People have been drug running in light planes down the FL coast to Mexico for YEARS. Like probably 40=50 years. It's still going on.
Sometimes they crash and sometimes they do get caught, but usually not.

WHY can light planes do this? Because they can fly at 1000 ft or below and not show up on most forms of radar as a plane. I don't think Callan could have flown ALL the way from Canada to Nashville at such a low altitude because of the increased crosswinds and surface to air winds created by topography which would have used up his fuel consumption.

The fact that he " made it" across the border is not sensational.
The fact that he circled over ONE airport for hours, apparently, IS. It is sensationally STUPID.
He could have flown 100 miles south and landed in AL. He could have flown west of Nashville and tried Memphis. ( which was probably also foggy but still, it's better than circling in the dark).

IMO, the man's judgment was impaired. Possibly before he even got into the plane. In one place, I read that he had no relatives. In another, I read a quote from a sister about him being a long term pilot. So he apparently did have relatives.
The listing of Taylor Swift as next of kin was either a stupid joke, or he was suffering from psychosis, or was intoxicated.
IF he was intoxicated when he took off in the plane, unless he kept on drinking, he should have been sober before landing point.

His destination was Nashville. He was apparently desperate to only land in Nashville. We may never know why, but his actions show that he was not going anywhere else. He died because of the fog there, which is so pitiful.
He apparently was thought to have the experience and knowledge to fly well, but he absolutely did NOT do anything by the books.

IMO, in 2013, a pilot faces military plane action if they ignore rules, including flying over restricted air space. I'm thinking that maybe he had a mental break with reality.
NO one I've ever flown with doesn't have or make a " Plan B" if the airport of destination is socked in because of weather. You go elsewhere and you land elsewhere and later when the weather is clear and you are rested, you fly to your original destination, or drive to it. He could have easily have driven to Nashville in a rental care from another airport.

I don't have a good explanation for the Taylor Swift angle, but if his intent was to harm her, then why not crash his plane into her home instead of the NIA?
Maybe he knew someone in Nashville who had promised him he could meet her if he flew to Nashville. Most singers have groups of larger aircraft pilots that they retain for travel. A Nashville pilot could have promised him a meet and greet with Taylor. I have known some of these charter celebrity pilots and they can have inflated egos about the passengers they move about with. Weirder things happen in this world.

One other thought- this was a rented plane, not the man's own plane. Although most pilots start out in Cessna 172's and know how to fly them backwards and forwards :), there's a chance that something was not working correctly with his radio and he couldn't radio Nashville ATF or Memphis air control ( which is the hub of flight activity for TN) and ASK for coordinates for another, clear airport. I still maintain that he circled until he was running out of fuel, and crash landed due to no other option at that point.

He should have had a multitude of options before he got into the critical situation, though. Like I said, diversion to any other airport is proper procedure, and that area of TN has a multitude of unmanned FBOs which are fine for Cessnas.

just an observation, but it is possible he knew another Taylor Swift. The star Taylor Swift can't possibly be the only Taylor Swift.

Of course it's possible. I mentioned the possibility earlier.

Pretty sure she has a home in Brentwood. Probably has multiple homes in LA, NYC, and I think she bought the house next to a Kennedy on Martha's Vineyard a couple of years ago when she wanted him to date her. Not sure what happened with that.
She's strange about near- stalking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back