Presidential limo draws crowds 50 years later

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
November 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

The 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination

Convertible that Kennedy was shot in draws onlookers 50 years later

George Hunter/The Detroit News

Dearborn — Milt C. Douglas Sr. was an orderly in an Alabama hospital on Nov. 22, 1963, when an operating room nurse passed on the news: President John F. Kennedy had been assassinated while riding in the backseat of the presidential convertible.

Gazing at the black 1961 Lincoln Continental Friday brought back memories for Douglas, 77, of Clinton Township, who made his first trip to the Henry Ford museum to see the vehicle display on the 50th anniversary of Kennedy’s assassination...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131122/METRO08/311220084#ixzz2lOsNIe9e

I was very glad to see that Dallas had almost a full day of ceremonies in remembrance of Pres. Kennedy.

Most who were alive then will never forget the day they heard the news of his death, myself included.

Today, I watched a lot of old videos about his life, family and speeches. Really loved the one from the Berlin visit when he said some people did not seem to understand the difference in democracy and communism: "Let them come to Berlin!"

Actually, there has been some exceptional programing all week. Its been interesting to me to hear the 40 year olds talking about the climate of the times. Its not that they have gotten it entirely wrong but none of them have really been able to capture it fully. It was, I think, a very very complex time in our history. It was also very exciting times.

I too, remember the day.

Quite a few years ago, when my daughter was young, we went to the Henry Ford Museum and the car John F. kennedy was shot in was in the museum in a row of cars. I told my daughter that it was the car that President Kennedy was killed in. When we got to the next old car, my daughter asked, "Mom, who got killed in this car?" Many years ago, we saw the seat that Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot in the theater. What struck me the most about that was that you could still see the blood on the chair--a chilling sight.

I've been wondering about this car at the museum. The last time I was there, about 23 years ago, there was a sign in front of the Kennedy car saying that it was a replica. It seems like there were some details on the sign, but I've forgotten what they were. I thought it said something about the original car being dismantled and not in existence.

Does Greenfield Village have the actual car? Would they have put up a replica while the real car was being maintained or on loan elsewhere, or just leave the space empty until they could bring the car back?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back