MN - Patrol: Driver in pond crash lacked valid license

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...p-2_of_5_children_pulled_from_icy_pond_hav-ap

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The woman who was driving a car filled with children when it veered off a suburban Minneapolis highway ramp and plunged into 9 feet of water did not have a valid driver's license, authorities said.

Two of the five children died, authorities confirmed Friday, while three remained hospitalized a day after the crash. The five children, ages 1 to 7, were removed from the car after it was towed into shallower water......

The driver, Marion Guerrido, is the mother of three of the children; the other two children are her boyfriend's. She had a Minnesota driver's permit but not a license, said State Patrol Lt. Eric Roeske. Guerrido's permit was considered invalid because she was not driving with a licensed driver, as required, at the time of the crash, he said........

"We have not identified anything or ruled out anything at this time, other than alcohol," Roeske said, adding that there was no evidence Guerrido had been drinking. "We have received no information nor have encountered any evidence that would indicate it was an intentional act, but the investigation continues."

He said once the investigation is complete, the case would be forwarded to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office to determine if charges will be filed.......

The intersection near this ramp has seen 18 crashes from 2010-2012, including one last year in which another vehicle went into the same storm water pond, said Minnesota Department of Transportation spokeswoman Bobbie Dahlke.......more.......

I wonder how the three children are doing. I read the other day that they were under-water for 20 mins before the tow-truck could get there and pull the car out. So sad for those children. Praying they can make a full recovery.

From the same OP link:

Two of the hospitalized children are improving and are responding to commands, a family spokesman said Friday. "So that's a huge improvement," attorney Rick Petry said. The third child remains in stable but critical condition.

That is really amazing considering the length of time they were under the water.

They were very lucky the water was very cold. I have read that can help in situations when you are submerged in water for as many minutes as these kids were.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3226258.shtml (dtd 1/22/13)

1 child in critical condition, 2 responsive.
More at link.

24 y/o Mom/driver was driving w a learner's permit.
LE said no alcohol involved.

What about possibility of texting while driving?

Prayers & healing thoughts to all involved.

If she only had learner's permit, she wasn't supposed to have been driving without licensed driver in the car.
Yet she loaded the car with children and driving she went.

...after a car was driven into a lake.
Two children have died and three are in a critical condition after their unlicensed mother lost control of the family car and drove it into a pond in suburban Minneapolis.
The Minnesota State Patrol identified the children as Aliyana Rennie, one; Zenavia Rennie, five; Amani Coleman-Guerrido, five; Zarihana Rennie, six; and Alarious Coleman-Guerrido, seven.
Rescuers worked frantically to free the children after their family car veered off a highway ramp and into the frigid pond shortly after 6am Thursday.

All kninds of whistles going off here, more at DM link

Is it normal to be out driving with a car full of babies at 0615am. I don't want to judge but....and how did she get out and none of her babies did???

More info, including a photo of accident site.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews...pulled-from-submerged-car-remain-hospitalized.

"Authorities have not said what caused Guerrido's vehicle to leave the road or how many of the children had been properly restrained. The State Patrol said alcohol was not a factor.

The intersection near the ramp has seen 18 crashes from 2010-2012, including one last year in which another vehicle went into the same storm-water pond, said Minnesota Department of Transportation spokeswoman Bobbie Dahlke.

She characterized the figure as "relatively low" for an intersection with signals and noted that the data include the whole intersection, not just the ramp where Thursday's crash occurred."

MnDOT is planning a $60 million Highway 100 reconstruction project that will remove that entrance ramp and build a new one on the south side of Highway 7. Dahlke said the ramp at issue is being relocated to maximize the merging distance for vehicles on Highway 100, not because of safety concerns."

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3226258.shtml (dtd 1/22/13)

1 child in critical condition, 2 responsive.
More at link.

24 y/o Mom/driver was driving w a learner's permit.
LE said no alcohol involved.

What about possibility of texting while driving?

Prayers & healing thoughts to all involved.

I haven't seen anything about texting in the 3 articles found so far.

Is it normal to be out driving with a car full of babies at 0615am. I don't want to judge but....and how did she get out and none of her babies did???

More info from Trino's link:

The accident happened about 6 a.m. when a Pontiac Grand Am driven by 23-year-old Marion Guerrido of Brooklyn Center left the onramp to Minnesota 100, went down an embankment and plunged into a holding pond. The water was 8 or 9 feet deep, and the car fully submerged.

"The mother and caregiver of the children tried frantically to remove the children from the sinking vehicle. Despite her best efforts, she was unable to get the children out of the vehicle," Petry said in a statement Friday.

Guerrido stood on top of the sunken car and yelled for help.

Petry said she was taking the children to her mother's to finish getting them ready for school when the crash happened.

May not be correct, but I was thinking she must have been on her way to work that early and taking the children to her mom to get on the school bus. Since this has happened before, wonder why no guard rail. In my area all holding ponds have chain link fences.

More info, including a photo of accident site.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews...pulled-from-submerged-car-remain-hospitalized.

"Authorities have not said what caused Guerrido's vehicle to leave the road or how many of the children had been properly restrained. The State Patrol said alcohol was not a factor.

The intersection near the ramp has seen 18 crashes from 2010-2012, including one last year in which another vehicle went into the same storm-water pond, said Minnesota Department of Transportation spokeswoman Bobbie Dahlke.

She characterized the figure as "relatively low" for an intersection with signals and noted that the data include the whole intersection, not just the ramp where Thursday's crash occurred."

MnDOT is planning a $60 million Highway 100 reconstruction project that will remove that entrance ramp and build a new one on the south side of Highway 7. Dahlke said the ramp at issue is being relocated to maximize the merging distance for vehicles on Highway 100, not because of safety concerns."

Thanks, Trino!
Sounds like she and her boyfriend each lost one of their children. I did read somewhere that onlookers had stopped and tried to get the children out and could not. It was the OP link:

Passers-by unsuccessfully tried to rescue the children before police arrived.

She can be easily found on FB. I'm not going to link it because there are photos there of her children, two of whom survived.

This is incredibly sad.

The driver, Marion Guerrido, is the mother of three of the children; the other two children are her boyfriend's. ST is the mother of the two children that belong to MG's bf. Trino's article is about her. MG's youngest is likely her bf's child. Not all that confusing.

This article explains it easier:

Marion Guerrido is the mother of Aliyana, Amani and Alarious.

Zenavia and Zarihana are the children of Guerrido's boyfriend, Julius Rennie, 24, who also is the father of Aliyana.

ST is the mother of the Z children.

I call shenanigans on this....she didn't even attempt to help the kids out....

I think she did try, plus onlookers tried and even the rescuers had a hard time getting them out.

Guess we will find out if they charge her for that.

Those poor babies. :( I don't understand how all those kids fit in that car. They would at least need boosters. The bulk of those would make it three even a tight fit in a back seat. They were all too young for the front seat.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I read early on that she worked at a bank. Banks don't normally open until 9:00. Another story said she was dropping the boyfriend/dad off at his job. I cannot link either as I can't recall where I read it. Still searching for a news story that explains what she was doing out that early.

Update: http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_24639788/state-patrol-gets-black-box-car-st-louis

It appears the state patrol may be going after her re: criminal charges.

"As part of their investigation, state troopers sought to get the SDM from the vehicle; Clausen filed the search warrant application and Hennepin County District Judge Gary Larson granted it Nov. 22.

The application for the warrant says the SDM "constitutes evidence which tends to show a crime has been committed, or tends to show that a particular person has committed a crime."

What a mess!

If this woman did not have a valid drivers license, I wonder who the vehicle belonged to and if it had insurance. I noticed that they were asking for donations to cover medical costs.

Charges to me seem like a no brainer. She was reportedly driving without a valid license. She loaded a bunch of kids in the car, while apparently not even having a valid license. Someone with learner's permit just passed the theoretical test. It doesn't necessarily mean they even know how to drive.
They are supposed to only be driving with another adult in a car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back