Deadbeat cookie buyers beware!

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429...CMsQE4F;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Fri Apr 29, 7:47 AM ET

WAUKESHA, Wis. - Girl Scout cookies aren't free, as a few alleged deadbeats are about to find out. One scout group has filed small-claims lawsuits against people who failed to pay up.

The amounts owed by two couples and three other women ranged from $301.42 to $1,485.68.

"We call many times before taking this step," Slowinski said. "We send them letters. When all else fails, this is our last resort."

Form letters that preceded the legal action read, "Please note that nonpayment for Girl Scout cookies represents fraud," and advised the non-payers to arrange a repayment plan.

Im a GS leader and have no problem with this(there are also pending lawsuits in NY) because the troop is responsible for those cookies! If you sign up to buy $300 worth of cookies and then do not follow through the troop must pay it out of their money which hurts the girls(For the record the troop gets only 20 cents Per box!! *BUT* thats another story ! I love G/S but have problems with some money issues)

Youre NOT supposed ,in our Council,to let people purchase cookies without rendering payment at that time but I guess its different everyone.
In future to avoid this the girls need to not give cookies until they get payment!

I had no idea they only received 20 cents per box. That's criminal in itself!!!!! The cookie manufacturers GET to use the girl scout name and girlpower to market & sell the cookies.
That's just crazy!

Yes I was shocked when I found out myself!!

You'd assume we get most of the $4 per box but alas no and its our biggest fundraiser!!

I LOVE scouts but I have issues with how the councils and G/S itself runs things financially!

I read this in the paper this morning, but I am confused... I have never received GS cookies without paying for them first.... Were these people given the cookies and then failed to pay, or did they place the order and then not pick up or pay ???

lisag said:
I read this in the paper this morning, but I am confused... I have never received GS cookies without paying for them first.... Were these people given the cookies and then failed to pay, or did they place the order and then not pick up or pay ???

Unless I pick them up from the stand the girls set up in front of a store I usually don't have to pay for them until I receive them.

I didn't even have a chance to order any cookies this year...and I love them. :eek:

Our troop in Jersey got $.75 per box, and it goes up if you meet your goals! But only to $.85. Not a bad deal, but the girls still don't do well unless they have a ton of girls in their troop who sell like bandits...my girl scout is a junior in high school and this is our last year. She got her Gold Award, ran a troop for two years, and wants to have her senior year to be GS free...i will miss those cookies in my garage!

browneyes said:
I didn't even have a chance to order any cookies this year...and I love them. :eek:

I almost wish I didn't ... I can be quite the little piggy when it comes to girl scout cookies.

Messiecake, just last week I was told that the Girl Scouts of America made only a net of 3 cents per box sold. Thank you for clearing up the fact that they make 20 cents. This still does not seem to be enough for the effort put into it!

Puca said:
Messiecake, just last week I was told that the Girl Scouts of America made only a net of 3 cents per box sold. Thank you for clearing up the fact that they make 20 cents. This still does not seem to be enough for the effort put into it!

Honestly it's not! The girls and parents bust their bee-hinds and get little in return.The majority goes back to the Council and National level of G/S

I love Scouting *but* it is dissillusioning.Esp. because Cookie Sales are grueling AND you would not belive the mountains of paperwork also required-OMG!!!! The paperwork!! :hand:

I may be wrong, but being an ex-girl scout leader myself, these lawsuits are not against individuals buying a box or two. These are against the parents of girlscouts who went out and sold the cookies, collected for the cookies and then DID NOT turn in their cookie money to the "cookie mom" who has to account for each individual girlscout in her troop. I happened to be the "cookie mom" who had to pick up our troop's entire order, separate it by girlscout, have them pick them up from my house, and arrange to collect each girl's money and turn it in to our local troop. Luckily, all of my girls came through with their money, but I did have to track a few of them down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back