TN TN - Peggy Cox, 49, Franklin, 1 Feb 1991

tnhybrid

Reaction score
Franklin, TN is about 20 minutes south of downtown Nashville. Wonder what the alibis were of those close to Ms. Cox.

FRANKLIN — Franklin police hope soon to have an answer to a question that has dogged them for more than 20 years: Who killed Peggy Cox?

On Feb. 1, 1991, the mother of three was shot and killed at the Hardee’s drive-thru window where she was working on her 49th birthday.

Last week, Franklin Detective Darren Barnes presented the case — the department’s only unsolved homicide — to the Vidocq Society, an exclusive crime-solving organization that meets monthly at the Union League of Philadelphia, Penn.

Read more: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131125/WILLIAMSON10/311250041

Unsolved murder bedevils police 24 years later

By JILL COWAN
The Tennessean
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Almost 25 years after it happened, a heinous crime in Franklin, Tennessee, remains unsolved.

On Feb. 1, 1991, a driver pulled around to the small Hardee's drive-thru window, where Peggy Cox prepared to serve the last customer of the night.

The case remains a lingering scar that has bedeviled a police department and left a family struggling to imagine life with closure.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/28724272/unsolved-murder-bedevils-police-24-years-later

FBI is featuring this case on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/FBI/videos/vb.72092591211/10153247635886212/?type=2&theater

The FBI began providing assistance in the case and, in 2014, initially offered a reward of $10,000. It’s our hope that this latest public push by law enforcement in the case leads to someone coming forward with a key piece of information or evidence that results in justice for Peggy Cox and closure for her three children

http://www.fbi.gov/news/news_blog/f...d-killer-in-decades-old-tennessee-murder-case

Family holds out hope mom’s killer will be found

http://wkrn.com/2016/09/12/family-holds-out-hope-their-mothers-killer-will-be-found/

“Somebody will eventually talk about it and tell what they know,” Desiree Cox said. “My mother didn’t have an enemy in the world. She was friendly, quiet and everybody’s friend.”

For Desiree’s sister Rachel, it is especially hard because she has four sons who never got the chance to meet or know their grandmother.

“I don’t bring it up a lot, but when I do, they understand a bit more about what happened as they have gotten older,” she said. “The little guys don’t really understand everything yet.”

Franklin police review the cold case at least once a year and have interviewed several people. But they said they still need more information to make an arrest.

A $25,000 reward remains active.

Wednesday marked 26 years since Peggy Cox was shot to death while working at a Hardee’s on Murfreesboro Road. She was killed on her 49th birthday.

Cox took an order at 11:45 p.m. at the drive-thru. When the vehicle drove up to the window, Cox was shot in the neck with a small caliber handgun.

Her 20-year-old son - also her co-worker - found her lying on the floor. She was taken to an area hospital, where she died.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/26-year-old-franklin-cold-case-remains-unsolved

What a heartbreaking story...I wasn't familiar with this case before but I read through some articles on it last night. It's always so hard for me to wrap my head around cases like this that are just so random, it's impossible to know where to start. I really hope this family gets some closure soon.

Hi, first time commenter on one of these but I'm researching this case and a thought struck me that I hadn't seen mentioned before.

Peggy wasn't scheduled to work that day, but she was covering for a co-worker. Do we know anything about that co-worker? Everyone has said nobody had it out for Peggy, but did anyone have it out for that co-worker? Is it possible her killer was actually supposed to kill her co-worker but was either a hired person (so wouldn't know the difference between Peggy and the person he intended to kill) or acted too fast to realise this wasn't the person he was aiming for?

I know this is speculation and I apologise if this isn't allowed but it just struck me as odd.

img

Peggy Cox - Newspapers.com

img

Peggy Cox 2 - Newspapers.com

Hi, first time commenter on one of these but I'm researching this case and a thought struck me that I hadn't seen mentioned before.

Peggy wasn't scheduled to work that day, but she was covering for a co-worker. Do we know anything about that co-worker? Everyone has said nobody had it out for Peggy, but did anyone have it out for that co-worker? Is it possible her killer was actually supposed to kill her co-worker but was either a hired person (so wouldn't know the difference between Peggy and the person he intended to kill) or acted too fast to realise this wasn't the person he was aiming for?

I know this is speculation and I apologise if this isn't allowed but it just struck me as odd.
I think this is a great point, and I wish we had more info.

If you're right, then whoever did this chose that time because they figured the restaurant might be closed to indoor seating, and only the drive-thru would be open. This would be ideal because the victim would be confined to one spot, while the killer(s) was free to make a quick getaway. There would also be little to no witnesses because, even if other staff were present, drive-thru windows are often narrow enough that only staff member can be there at a time, unlike the counter inside with multiple registers, employees, and customers.

The only thing, though—would the killer(s) know in advance who would be assigned take orders? Like, Peggy's son was there in charge of preparing meals. What's to say he couldn't have been zoned to take orders and his mom (or the co-worker who should've been there) would've been given kitchen duty?

One of the articles notes that her husband died in 1983 (after having been in a coma since 1973) so anything along those lines can be ruled out.

If I had to guess, this is probably the same sort of crime/mentality as those teenagers who intentionally ran over the road biker in Nevada a year or two ago. Some messed-up dumbass kids who egg-on/dare themselves up to a random crime on a stranger. No sense, no real motive, completely random.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back