840 users online (127 members and 713 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What was that mysterious boom?

“It’s really just observations from regular everyday folks that they heard a sonic boom that was preceded by a blue flash of light high in the sky that lasted maybe one or two seconds.”

“I’ve heard of reports south of Ottawa, through Cornwall, the Montreal area, folks down in northern New York state as well, said Andrew Fazekas.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/techn...381/story.html

They still don't know what it was.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Sounds like a meteorite to me.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Could it have possible been satellite debris?

Here is the tracker site.

http://www.satview.org/decay.php

There is a thread here where some of us were trying to follow reentry of a satellite. I was still watching it orbit on the linked site above, when it in actuality it had already fallen. So the site itself is behind and I can't find where to get updated information.

I would think they would have already researched that though.

While officials have yet to confirm what caused the flash of light and explosion sound, one expert says it appears to be signs of a meteor event.

"(It) could indicate the stone -- which could be anywhere in size from a sofa to compact car -- may have fragmented with some bits making it to the ground," Andrew Fazekas, science writer and spokesman for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, wrote on his blog.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/meteo...#ixzz2lruPrpP6
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

I think it's interesting that so many folks feel called upon to look up a number and report a "boom" in the sky. Unless something falls on my head or my house, I'm going on with my day...

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    lol, Nova

I wonder if this is in any way possibly related to the "supposed upcoming" meteor event that they've talked about this week on some of the national news media?.. it definitely fits the description that I heard given for the supposed upcoming meteor event.. only problem is, according to the news I was watching, it called for it to not be happening until the week of Christmas... I wonder if possibly its related or their timing was quite "off"(by like a month..lol)..??
    The quickest way to become a fool is to argue with one..

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I think it's interesting that so many folks feel called upon to look up a number and report a "boom" in the sky. Unless something falls on my head or my house, I'm going on with my day...
    Have you ever heard a sonic boom?

I live under the flight path of McChord AFB. F-15's taking off and landing shake the dishes in my kitchen cabinets. I am used to loud air flight noises, but when the Puget Sound region experienced a loud sonic boom in 2010 (small plane violated a flight ban due to Obama visiting the area) I had never heard anything like it. It was frightening! My initial reaction=wtf? Was that a nuclear bomb? Did Mt. Rainier just erupt? So I am not surprised at all that people took notice and were concerned.
    Last edited by hambirg; 11-27-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

anything up on youtube yet?

someone usually uploads home video or surveillance camera footage - even if just for the sound of it

Quote Originally Posted by hambirg View Post
    Have you ever heard a sonic boom?….
    Of course. I live about 200 miles from Vandenburg AFB and even closer to various flight testing facilities in the Mojave Desert. I used to live 10 minutes from LAX.

And I've been through numerous earthquakes, many of which make a racket that can be heard coming from miles away.

All of which is WHY I wouldn't think to pick up the phone just because I heard a "boom".

But, mostly, I was just making a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Of course. I live about 200 miles from Vandenburg AFB and even closer to various flight testing facilities in the Mojave Desert. I used to live 10 minutes from LAX.

And I've been through numerous earthquakes, many of which make a racket that can be heard coming from miles away.

All of which is WHY I wouldn't think to pick up the phone just because I heard a "boom".

But, mostly, I was just making a joke.

You're preaching to the choir. I live in the Puget Sound region less than 2 miles from the air strip at McChord. So I know all about earthquakes, exploding volcanoes, even foundry explosions and the rare gas station explosion. But some booms are still so unusual that they are scary and make you think wtf?!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

MONTREAL – Don’t panic, says Chris Hadfield.

That was the Canadian astronaut’s down-to-earth advice after many people tweeted they saw a blue flash and heard a thundering boom in the Montreal and Ottawa areas Tuesday night.

Hadfield, the former commander of the International Space Station, tried to offer some words of assurance, saying it’s just part of normal life in the universe.

“Earth gets hit by 100 tons of meteorites every day,” he told The Canadian Press on Wednesday while in Montreal to promote his new book. “Most of them are grains of dust — it’s like we’re perpetually being sandblasted by the universe.

“Once in a while we get a big rock that comes into the Earth’s atmosphere and like in Montreal last night, it actually gets down low enough in the atmosphere to burn up as a blue flame and then make like a pressure wave that we hear as a sonic boom.
    http://metronews.ca/news/canada/8675...und-somewhere/
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    anything up on youtube yet?

someone usually uploads home video or surveillance camera footage - even if just for the sound of it
    I can't find anything yet.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Heard a very strange thing in the sky here - sounded like rocks being crushed! - not too long, several days, ago. I'm on the flight-path to the airport in Tulsa and also military planes zip by every once in awhile. But this - zounds.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Heard a very strange thing in the sky here - sounded like rocks being crushed! - not too long, several days, ago. I'm on the flight-path to the airport in Tulsa and also military planes zip by every once in awhile. But this - zounds.
    A small meteorite maybe ? If Hadfield is right, there are 100 tons everyday.

I wonder where the Montreal one landed? Still no sign of it yet. It's alleged to be the size of a basketball ? I checked my back yard but didn't see anything except 10 cms of darn snow.
    Last edited by ~n/t~; 11-28-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast